Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mountain House, CA
First Name
Costa
Last Name
Etlender
Member #

Back from a trailer shakedown trip, the first trip with the trailer and RTT, worked out well. No issues pulling it, slowed down to 50mph on some sections of the grapevine on I-5 south but it could keep 70 if really wanted to. Got about 18mpg over the 1000 miles round trip to SoCal from SF bay area with 2 Adults, 2 kids, 2 75lbs dogs, and gear for 5 nights.

IMG_7153.jpgIMG_0797.jpgIMG_7059.jpg

Costa

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mountain House, CA
First Name
Costa
Last Name
Etlender
Member #

@Costa looks like an awesome rig and trip. Glad you escaped the dinos!

Do you have some info on the trailer? Is it DIY -- do you have build thread for it? Thanks.
Yeah, they were scary!

No build thread, maybe I'll create one, but in a nut shell, I bought it like this:
Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 9.01.09 PM.png

No idea what exactly is it, but the registration says the model year 1980, and the type is WW2..!?
I sanded the original paint, the bed floor and undercarriage were all covered in surface rust (undercarriage is still mostly rusty) and I've painted it with truck bed spray all around.
Replaced the wheels with wider steelies and slightly taller LT AT tires.
Installed toolbox and tongue jack on the front, spare tire on an RV style spare tire winch.
Welded the rack from 1.5' .120 wall steel for the RTT and installed a bunch of tie-down points all around.
Largest CVT tent, Denali? to fit my self (6"3'), wife and two kids, the dogs sleep in the annex room.
Welded a hitch receiver to the back of it for a bike rack.

Now working on mounting two 5 gallons Wavian Jerrycans with spigots, one on each side, so I don't need to remove them every time, and maybe a 5LB propane tank but I'm hesitant on installing it on the outside unprotected.
Also will be installing some sort of cover to secure it, probably painted plywood.

Reactions: Naidu

Naidu

Rank 0

Traveler I

New Jersey, USA
First Name
N
Last Name
G
Awesome, thanks for the info. Yes, bare bones it does look like one of the army surplus trailers that used to come with Jeeps. Nice to see it towed by an SK Forester.

I have an SK myself; planning to slowly build an overlanding rig out of it. Still in the dreaming and planning part of it all.

dennisblass

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Trussville, AL, USA
First Name
Dennis
Last Name
Blass
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4GHR
I have a 2017 Subaru Outback. I'll be buying some all terrain tires son. After that come a skid plate or an all steel engine under plate. I'll probably buy a brush guard after that. Id like to attend a rally event and look at mods other owners have made and talk with them about specifics, such as name brands and install issues. Any advice is appreciated.

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I have a 2017 Subaru Outback. I'll be buying some all terrain tires son. After that come a skid plate or an all steel engine under plate. I'll probably buy a brush guard after that. Id like to attend a rally event and look at mods other owners have made and talk with them about specifics, such as name brands and install issues. Any advice is appreciated.
Welcome Dennis! I’ve been seeing your activity on the forums and knew it was only a matter of time before you found this thread haha.

Mods to the 5th gen (15-19) are really well documented at this point and I’d encourage you to simply ask any questions you may have. Beyond that MtnRoo undoubtedly has a local to you chapter and I’m sure they have meetings/trail rides. That would be a good opportunity to see and speak with people about off road Subarus in general while also getting an opportunity to take yours out. Overland Bound rally points are a great way to meet up with like minded people but your exposure to other Subarus would, more than likely, be limited. That said it’s a better opportunity to talk to people about gear and the like.

dennisblass

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Trussville, AL, USA
First Name
Dennis
Last Name
Blass
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4GHR
Welcome Dennis! I’ve been seeing your activity on the forums and knew it was only a matter of time before you found this thread haha.

Mods to the 5th gen (15-19) are really well documented at this point and I’d encourage you to simply ask any questions you may have. Beyond that MtnRoo undoubtedly has a local to you chapter and I’m sure they have meetings/trail rides. That would be a good opportunity to see and speak with people about off road Subarus in general while also getting an opportunity to take yours out. Overland Bound rally points are a great way to meet up with like minded people but your exposure to other Subarus would, more than likely, be limited. That said it’s a better opportunity to talk to people about gear and the like.
Thank you. I’ll be looking for MtnRoo.

Enthusiast I

Mount Pleasant, Racine County, Wisconsin, United States
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Orth
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9RCO
Hey guys, I'm new to OB, camping and all thigs overlanding in general. I'm here to learn!

Here is my 2015 Forester 2.5i.
Method Racing MR502 v-spec 15x7
Falken Wildpeak AT/3 in 235/75/15
ADF 2" front and 2.5" rear.
Prinsu Roof Rack
Apache rifle case in the roof for tools and recovery gear.
Yakima tire mount for the roof
Midland MX275 GMRS radio with Midland 6db gain antenna.
BaoFeng BF-F8HP for HAM with Amazon antenna.
Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro SAE Fog lights
ADF Ditch Light Brackets
Nilight Ditch Lights
Rally Armor Mudflaps
EZ Flares Fender Flares
Primitive Racing Engine, Transmission and Rear Diff Skid Plates

Future Mods:
Window Tint
Diode Dynamics 42" Light Bar for Prinsu
Rotopax SIde Mounts
Traction Boards/Mounts
Mobile Ham Radio

IMG_20210411_231246_481.jpg

Last edited:

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
SOLD - Hey all. Going in a different direction with more long distance adventures. Selling my beloved Outback. See post at 2017 Subaru Outback, Vancouver, Washington

Build thread is linked in my signature. Want it to go to a good home who will love it like I do.

_STP0065.jpg
_STP0063.jpg

Last edited:

Fozlander

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Annandale, Hunterdon County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Bielawski
Hi everyone. No great plans for a huge build. My 2020 Forester Touring got 17" LP1 rims with Yokohama Geolander G015 tires to start, and I added an OEM aluminum front skid plate and steel rear diff skid plate. Also added a Midland MXT275 GMRS radio with 6db antenna and a Thule Canyon roof basket. Some Rotopax purchased but not installed yet.

20210423_191344.jpg

IceBear505

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque, New Mexico 87110, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Nesbit
Member #

Slowly building out my '18 Crosstrek... Most of my underbody protection, auxiliary trail lighting, and interior electric built out. Using Jackery 500 as my auxiliary power supply as that is more versatile for my needs. Just upgraded from RalliTek springs to Flatout Suspension GR Plus. I'd push for more lift, currently limited by roof rack setup.

Attachments

pino

Rank I

Contributor III

Roxborough, Philadelphia, PA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Pino
Hey all, new around here

Just wanted to share some photos of my 2021 Forester Sport
We just took delivery of the GFC Superlite and are itching to get out in it soon

Right now it has
- Ironman 2" lift
- Fifteen52 Traverse MX wheels
- Falken Wildpeak Trails
- Prinsu rack
- ARB awning
- 40" LED light bar
- GFC Superlite

Nothing over the top, just enough to make it a bit more capable and not look too crazy

TouaregOverlander

Rank II

Member I

Phoenix, AZ
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Paziora
Member #

Here’s my 2015 Outback that I bought in December 2020. Just ticked over 50,000 miles! Only mod so far is Pirelli Scorpion AT+ in stock size but big upgrades to come in the near future! I think people are getting too caught up with building super expensive off road beasts and sacrifice all the fuel mileage and on road driving comfort. The Subaru has been a great rig for me so far! Drove 6 hours home (AZ) from Colorado and had a quarter tank left when I got home, can’t do that in a Jeep or Tacoma!

Plans: New crossbar system
Roofnest Falcon
New wheels
Ironman 2” lift
And a bunch of overlanding gear!
A63F84DE-77DD-4640-B917-143F5C28A639.jpeg
4FEBAC54-9888-4FC0-B619-A15124F9E130.jpeg

Rainier_runner

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Yelm, Washington
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

Lurking for quite some time... Figured i should start posting.

I'm far better at going on adventures and living in the moment than i am at photography, so bear with me.

My 2005 Subaru Forester XT Premium

The only pic in stock form
IMG_3169.JPG

It begins...

IMG_3193.JPG

Somewhere in the middle...

IMG_4418.JPG

Current rendition...

IMG_4955.JPG

IMG_4975.JPG

IMG_4980.JPG

A whole lot of mods...

Any questions, I'm more than happy to answer.

Currently front and rear bumpers are on order, expected around Thanksgiving. Long travel coil overs will be a Black Friday purchase.