Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

I have definitely read a lot about people being happy with ADF and will most likely be the route I go. Just not sure if I want to add springs and or struts at this point. Hmm since the exhaust has to be taken out might as well upgrade to some Nameless..... hahaha
I upgraded my struts and springs but I probably could have waited a little while longer. I needed to upgrade the rear to account for the extra weight from the Wilco Hitchgate and fullsize spare plus I pull my fishing skiff with the car.

I am pulling the trigger on the Nameless 5" muffler kit today! I'm pretty excited to hear the flat six growl. I was going to be pulling the mufflers off again anyway to get a friend to do a little welding to add extra support to the hitch receiver.

DrockinWV

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Morgantown, WV
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Parsley
Member #

I upgraded my struts and springs but I probably could have waited a little while longer. I needed to upgrade the rear to account for the extra weight from the Wilco Hitchgate and fullsize spare plus I pull my fishing skiff with the car.

I am pulling the trigger on the Nameless 5" muffler kit today! I'm pretty excited to hear the flat six growl. I was going to be pulling the mufflers off again anyway to get a friend to do a little welding to add extra support to the hitch receiver.
My thoughts as well with the struts and springs the car only has about 43k on the clock. I'm typically in the mind set of since I'm down there already lol. I do love your Wilco Hitchgate and may add one in the future, currently do not have a full size spare but will try to add another before the first tire rotation so I get get started on rotating five.

I had the Nameless 5" muffler axel back on my 2015 STi and loooved the sound of it. Very interested to see what it will sound like on the flat 6 though, would like your thoughts once you get yours installed!

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Nevermind... I'm a little torn now. It looks like they have an eight week lead time on it. Less if I went with the full delete but I don't think I want to have it screaming all the time.

DrockinWV

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Morgantown, WV
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Parsley
Member #

Nevermind... I'm a little torn now. It looks like they have an eight week lead time on it. Less if I went with the full delete but I don't think I want to have it screaming all the time.
I believe it took about the same amount of time to get mine for my STi, but it was definitely worth it IMO, they are pretty well built!

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

IMO you can't get any better than ADF. The guy who owns it, Patrick, is all-in and they have amazing customer service. I've even seen him chime in on random FB groups. If you go with the subframe spacers as well (highly recommended) just be ready to remove both mufflers on the 3.6 to get it installed.
I second this; I chat with him every now and then in those random FB groups. Great guy, very knowledgable. He personally helped me out with the subframe install when I had some confusion over bolt torque. Buy ADF if you can!

DrockinWV

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Morgantown, WV
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Parsley
Member #

I second this; I chat with him every now and then in those random FB groups. Great guy, very knowledgable. He personally helped me out with the subframe install when I had some confusion over bolt torque. Buy ADF if you can!
Im sure that is the path I will take. It would be hard to pass up all of the recommendations I have gotten, and all the builds I have seen that use them.

DrockinWV

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Morgantown, WV
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Parsley
Member #

@DrockinWV @Sasquatch SC @Jeffrey Dill lift has zero impact on what fits on the 5th gen. A 245/65r17 will rub the same place up front at stock height as it does lifted 3.25”.
I actually read about that going through your build thread lol, and probably the main reason I went with that particular size. I'm definitely a fan of what you have done with yours!

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I actually read about that going through your build thread lol, and probably the main reason I went with that particular size. I'm definitely a fan of what you have done with yours!
Thank you! My Outback has been on its way back towards stock-ish. It’s been great but it’s time for something different. I actually never really thought about offering up parts on here but maybe I will going forward.

There’s been mention of ADF for lifting but I will say, depending on your intentions, if I were to do it again today it would be the 2” Ironman suspension lift. It is definitely more expensive but if you factor in replacing struts and strut mounts with the cost of the lift it’s not terrible by any means. Then there’s the ease of installation since they come complete. Best of all though is the added suspension travel.

DrockinWV

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Morgantown, WV
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Parsley
Member #

Thank you! My Outback has been on its way back towards stock-ish. It’s been great but it’s time for something different. I actually never really thought about offering up parts on here but maybe I will going forward.

There’s been mention of ADF for lifting but I will say, depending on your intentions, if I were to do it again today it would be the 2” Ironman suspension lift. It is definitely more expensive but if you factor in replacing struts and strut mounts with the cost of the lift it’s not terrible by any means. Then there’s the ease of installation since they come complete. Best of all though is the added suspension travel.
I can understand wanting/needing some change. Have anything in mind for the next build or vehicle in general? What all do you have that you plan on getting rid of? I'm sure you could find some buyers on here for sure!

I did watch the Ironman 4x4 installation video the other day and it is very intriguing to me. I would like to see someone grab the set to gather their thoughts, but agree with you it would be nice to get everything like that in one package. IDK I may still be a ways off before adding anything else to the car. I'm sure I will get the itch soon to grab some parts lol

graybaker

Rank III

Advocate I

San Francisco, California, United States
First Name
Gray
Last Name
Baker
I'll take a look! I believe I have a Force XL, so I think it'll fit. My only real concern is that the Thule's top kind of tapers down on the front and back so putting it flush in the back/front walls will be trial by fire.
Update, I can definitely fit a tire in there lol. I currently have two in there plus my snowboard gear (excluding the board).

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I can understand wanting/needing some change. Have anything in mind for the next build or vehicle in general? What all do you have that you plan on getting rid of? I'm sure you could find some buyers on here for sure!

I did watch the Ironman 4x4 installation video the other day and it is very intriguing to me. I would like to see someone grab the set to gather their thoughts, but agree with you it would be nice to get everything like that in one package. IDK I may still be a ways off before adding anything else to the car. I'm sure I will get the itch soon to grab some parts lol
I’m finally ok with accepting the mpg penalty and will be getting a truck.

I’m down to ditch light brackets, F/R springs, probably wheels/tires, the interior Ram mounts, cargo barrier, and I’m sure other things I’m not remembering haha.

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
Ditto. I even had a bolt torque conversation with him too. ADF is the best.

Reactions: Baipin

DrockinWV

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Morgantown, WV
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Parsley
Member #

I’m finally ok with accepting the mpg penalty and will be getting a truck.

I’m down to ditch light brackets, F/R springs, probably wheels/tires, the interior Ram mounts, cargo barrier, and I’m sure other things I’m not remembering haha.
I traded in my F150 for the OB, it was great and all, but just too damn wide for a lot of the trails around the area. I figured I would be more nimble with the OB.

I maybe interested in the ditch light brackets and Ram mounts. How did you have the Ram mounts setup in your car? I have seen a few different setups but nothing that has really stood out to me.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I traded in my F150 for the OB, it was great and all, but just too damn wide for a lot of the trails around the area. I figured I would be more nimble with the OB.

I maybe interested in the ditch light brackets and Ram mounts. How did you have the Ram mounts setup in your car? I have seen a few different setups but nothing that has really stood out to me.
I wouldn’t be going full size for that reason. I know I couldn’t fit one where I go with my Outback haha. There are simply too many things I can’t/won’t do with my Outback at this point. I knew this before the Outback but the day to day mpg always won out.

AC4CE04B-C468-40BC-B3CB-598285DCDE20.jpeg

I forget the brand of the dash mount but the bottom/main mount is custom. I’d only be parting with the mounts themselves.

Reactions: Baipin

DrockinWV

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Morgantown, WV
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Parsley
Member #

I wouldn’t be going full size for that reason. I know I couldn’t fit one where I go with my Outback haha. There are simply too many things I can’t/won’t do with my Outback at this point. I knew this before the Outback but the day to day mpg always won out.

View attachment 188736

I forget the brand of the dash mount but the bottom/main mount is custom. I’d only be parting with the mounts themselves.
Thanks for the photo, I just need to hop on over to Ram Mounts website and try to build something. Good luck on the truck purchase and if you ever catch yourself moseying down toward the WV boarder, hit me up!

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

DrockinWV

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Morgantown, WV
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Parsley
Member #

I saw this on YouTube and am wondering if might be doable on my 2019 Outback.

I saw something very similar that another member on here has for their OB. The rail seemed to be mounted under the HVAC controls but just about the storage cubby on the bottom. Personally I would rather use some hardcore double sided tape verse screws, but just unsure of how well it would hold for the long term. I did ask them how they had it mounted, but have yet to hear back.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I saw this on YouTube and am wondering if might be doable on my 2019 Outback.

I’m sure it’s ‘doable’ but my concern would be stability and durability. In the video he’s mounting smaller items on short arms that I’m sure will bounce a bit off road. Add anything larger, an iPad for example, and that bounce gets much worse all while placing additional torque on nothing more than plastic. I went through a total of 3 iterations of mounts/arms before settling on what I have now. I utilized 2 mounting points to gain stability because I learned that 1 was never going to cut it off road with my needs. I wanted my iPad and InReach much closer as well as a clear view through the windshield without obstructing any controls or even the cup holders but that’s just personal preference. I’m all for creativity but the bottom line is that any mount like the one in the video that I’ve seen in other vehicles used a hard mounting point.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
@DrockinWV @Sasquatch SC @Jeffrey Dill lift has zero impact on what fits on the 5th gen. A 245/65r17 will rub the same place up front at stock height as it does lifted 3.25”.
Right on. I'm only familiar with my 3rd gen Forester. :laughing:

I've got 225/65R17s on it and even those I had to do some trimming to the fender well seam in the rear and shave down a bit of the plastic fender well liners in the front. Although, the trimming in the rear was actually because of the lift - to get the rear wheels properly balanced after the lift pushed them forward a hair.