Rank V

Enthusiast III

Denver, Colorado, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Sniezak
Member #

Anyone running 235/65/17’s on a ‘17-‘18 Forester? Falken makes their A/T3W’s in this size. If so how much/what kinds of mods for fitment? Did you cut or heat-to-shape?

Thanks!

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Anyone running 235/65/17’s on a ‘17-‘18 Forester? Falken makes their A/T3W’s in this size. If so how much/what kinds of mods for fitment? Did you cut or heat-to-shape?

Thanks!
I am running the equivalent size in 16! Rubs a bit on full lock or over really severe bumps offroad, but nothing crazy. You'll be fine. There are some people on Subarforester.org who have done the same. a 1" lift at least - ideally 2" - is STRONGLY recommended.

Reactions: DharmaBum

DharmaBum

Rank V

Enthusiast III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Sniezak
Member #

Thanks!
I am running the equivalent size in 16! Rubs a bit on full lock or over really severe bumps offroad, but nothing crazy. You'll be fine. There are some people on Subarforester.org who have done the same. a 1" lift at least - ideally 2" - is STRONGLY recommended.
Thank you! I have 1.5” ADF spacers and Standard King springs (possible .25-.5” lift). Found an informative video from Subaruforester.org. The guy was running these on his stock suspension with “minimal” rub. Mods needs to mitigate this. Thanks again for the response!

Reactions: Baipin

DharmaBum

Rank V

Enthusiast III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Sniezak
Member #

Hello all. I decides to start a build thread for my '18 FXT: Subaru Forester Build. Check it out if you’re interested in what I’ve done with my SJ Forester. Looking forward to sharing my next mod(s). The most recent was today; built a storage tray to support my new kitchen setup. I am using RIDGID pack out tool boxes (Amazing storage and organization) as my overland kitchen/pantry. Super excited to move away from the plastic Home Depot HDX totes, they seemed to take up more room and were always a hot mess after the trails. Cheers!

Last edited:

DharmaBum

Rank V

Enthusiast III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Sniezak
Member #

Reactions: graybaker

graybaker

Rank III

Advocate I

San Francisco, California, United States
First Name
Gray
Last Name
Baker
Love the platform. If I had the storage space I’d totally remove the seats and built out a platform system. Keep it coming.
Thanks! I'm still heavily considering removing the rear seats/spare tire storage space to give myself more head room. I just need to make sure once I do, the two pieces of my bed remain level because the measurements only account for resting atop the seats/spare tire storage. And idk if you can tell, but it's pretty close to the ceiling lol.

graybaker

Rank III

Advocate I

First Name
Gray
Last Name
Baker
@graybaker yeah I can see how close you get to that. I removed the spare tire and all the foam components. It was absurd how much storage I gained from it. I had to build a frame to support the trunk liner. I’m happy with the decision.
YeahI think that's the way to go, I just have to make sure my spare can fit in the Thule for now. I just got AT tires so my donut under the trunk is pretty useless, also I kept my old rims/tires for the very purpose of a full-size spare, but that obviously adds on weight and requires me to get a little more creative with storage organization (but hey, I wasn't very briefly world ranked in Tetris for it all to go to waste!).

DharmaBum

Rank V

Enthusiast III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Sniezak
Member #

@graybaker I don’t know which Thule you have, but I remember watching a YouTube video by JonDZadventuring and he claims to have kept a full-size spare in his. It was his latest video about a hitch mount tire carrier. Might be worth checking out?

graybaker

Rank III

Advocate I

First Name
Gray
Last Name
Baker
@graybaker I don’t know which Thule you have, but I remember watching a YouTube video by JonDZadventuring and he claims to have kept a full-size spare in his. It was his latest video about a hitch mount tire carrier. Might be worth checking out?
I'll take a look! I believe I have a Force XL, so I think it'll fit. My only real concern is that the Thule's top kind of tapers down on the front and back so putting it flush in the back/front walls will be trial by fire.

Reactions: DharmaBum

DrockinWV

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Morgantown, WV
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Parsley
Member #

Hey yall!

Just wanting to chime in here. I have spend the last week or so reading through this thread and excited to have finally caught up and be able to share my new ride. I grabbed this 2019 OB 3.6 Limited two weeks ago, and excited to get out and see what it can do. I bought it mainly for camping and an excuse to get outside more often and explore my great state of West Virginia and surrounding areas. Car is still basically stock with the exception of the wheels and tires added (Aventure LP1's in bronze and BFG ATs 245/65/17). Also, today I ordered a full set of skids from Primitive, from reading tons of recommendations on here about them. Looking to add the Prinsu rack in the future with an awning and some other odds and ends.

20210218_080111.jpg

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Hey yall!

Just wanting to chime in here. I have spend the last week or so reading through this thread and excited to have finally caught up and be able to share my new ride. I grabbed this 2019 OB 3.6 Limited two weeks ago, and excited to get out and see what it can do. I bought it mainly for camping and an excuse to get outside more often and explore my great state of West Virginia and surrounding areas. Car is still basically stock with the exception of the wheels and tires added (Aventure LP1's in bronze and BFG ATs 245/65/17). Also, today I ordered a full set of skids from Primitive, from reading tons of recommendations on here about them. Looking to add the Prinsu rack in the future with an awning and some other odds and ends.

View attachment 188592
I'm surprised you were able to get 245/65R17s on there. Did you have to do any trimming to deal with scrubbing issues?

DrockinWV

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Morgantown, WV
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Parsley
Member #

I'm surprised you were able to get 245/65R17s on there. Did you have to do any trimming to deal with scrubbing issues?
I grabbed them before I started reading this thread lol. The only time I have heard any rubbing at all is on uneven ground 3/4 to full lock in reverse. When I was ordering the BFGs I read some wrong specs on the Discount Tire Direct website. They state that the tires weigh in at 35lbs, which is under the Falken tires, but come to find out they are 44 lol. If I would have read though this thread first I may have went with the Falken Wildpeaks or the Trails for the weight savings. But all and all I think it definitely looks killer and drives fine thus far (has a little pulling on the freeway). But no trimming whatsoever.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

I grabbed them before I started reading this thread lol. The only time I have heard any rubbing at all is on uneven ground 3/4 to full lock in reverse. When I was ordering the BFGs I read some wrong specs on the Discount Tire Direct website. They state that the tires weigh in at 35lbs, which is under the Falken tires, but come to find out they are 44 lol. If I would have read though this thread first I may have went with the Falken Wildpeaks or the Trails for the weight savings. But all and all I think it definitely looks killer and drives fine thus far (has a little pulling on the freeway). But no trimming whatsoever.
I have the 245/65-17's on my '19 OB 3.6R Touring, but I have the 2"/2½" strut top spacers. Have you gotten into anything where you are stretching the suspension out? It looks good with all that tire stuffed up in there though.

DrockinWV

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Morgantown, WV
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Parsley
Member #

I have the 245/65-17's on my '19 OB 3.6R Touring, but I have the 2"/2½" strut top spacers. Have you gotten into anything where you are stretching the suspension out? It looks good with all that tire stuffed up in there though.
Not yet, other than my driveway is a pretty steep angle lol. Hoping with everything starting to thaw out a little bit I will be able to hit up a few local trails once some of them are opened back up. I do anticipate getting some rub once the suspension starts to flex, but hopefully will add a lift before too long. Just need to figure out exactly what it is that I want.

Reactions: Sasquatch SC

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Not yet, other than my driveway is a pretty steep angle lol. Hoping with everything starting to thaw out a little bit I will be able to hit up a few local trails once some of them are opened back up. I do anticipate getting some rub once the suspension starts to flex, but hopefully will add a lift before too long. Just need to figure out exactly what it is that I want.
IMO you can't get any better than ADF. The guy who owns it, Patrick, is all-in and they have amazing customer service. I've even seen him chime in on random FB groups. If you go with the subframe spacers as well (highly recommended) just be ready to remove both mufflers on the 3.6 to get it installed.

Reactions: Baipin

DrockinWV

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Morgantown, WV
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Parsley
Member #

IMO you can't get any better than ADF. The guy who owns it, Patrick, is all-in and they have amazing customer service. I've even seen him chime in on random FB groups. If you go with the subframe spacers as well (highly recommended) just be ready to remove both mufflers on the 3.6 to get it installed.
I have definitely read a lot about people being happy with ADF and will most likely be the route I go. Just not sure if I want to add springs and or struts at this point. Hmm since the exhaust has to be taken out might as well upgrade to some Nameless..... hahaha