Carlsbad, California 92010, United States
First Name
KV
Last Name
Venable
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KV6ADV
I have a 2019 Outback. I mounted a Comet CA 2x4SR NMO dual band antenna using a Diamond K-400SNMO hatchback lift mount for use with a Yaesu FTM400XDR 50W VHF/UHF radio. I didn’t want to put anything on my roof in case I ever want to use the roof racks. The system works fantastic. I can hit repeaters anywhere in San Diego county while driving. The Comet antenna also can be laid at a 90 degrees for when I use a drive thru car wash. I also added the Comet spring kit for the antenna so it can take more abuse while driving off road. I routed the coax cable with magnetic mounts and zip ties on the lift gate and 3m cable stays inside the car.

I’m not sure what type of radio you have, but you should be able to do a similar system for your Forrester for 2m/70cm types of antennas.

Good luck,

KV

KV6ADV

Attachments

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
I use a Midland Mag Mount on the roof directly behind the shark antenna. I put down a piece of 3M clear paint protector film, and slapped it on there.

This location is the best for actual range. Having your vehicle in front of the antenna is cutting your range. My issue is that when the roof tent is on, I have no range- and the RTT is on 8 months per year.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I have a 2019 Outback. I mounted a Comet CA 2x4SR NMO dual band antenna using a Diamond K-400SNMO hatchback lift mount for use with a Yaesu FTM400XDR 50W VHF/UHF radio. I didn’t want to put anything on my roof in case I ever want to use the roof racks. The system works fantastic. I can hit repeaters anywhere in San Diego county while driving. The Comet antenna also can be laid at a 90 degrees for when I use a drive thru car wash. I also added the Comet spring kit for the antenna so it can take more abuse while driving off road. I routed the coax cable with magnetic mounts and zip ties on the lift gate and 3m cable stays inside the car.

I’m not sure what type of radio you have, but you should be able to do a similar system for your Forrester for 2m/70cm types of antennas.

Good luck,

KV

KV6ADV
nice install....I see your subaru was the middle child too!

Reactions: KV Adventures

AdventureMule

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Wilmington, DE
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Hunter
Hey guys! I'll add my 2014 Outback to the registry. I read the first page, and then jumped to the last page to post, but I'm really interested in seeing what other OBW owners have done to their wagons to make them more overland worthy. Mine, like many of yours I'm sure, is my DD, so while I wish I could do all the great things that are somewhat functional and super-aesthetically-pleasing (read: lift kit, tons of armor, larger than stock rubber), I have to pump the brakes and remember that I typically drive about 100 miles a day in commute (working from home since March has saved a TON of miles and gas)!

So far the biggest mod has been the addition of 1" wheel spacers all around and purpose-built tires (225/65R17 Falken Wildpeaks). The tires work with the AWD system instead of against it, and the spacers add a bit more of an aggressive stance. The wagon now looks the part, and has done everything I've asked of it so far.

Now back to previous posts...

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Hey guys! I'll add my 2014 Outback to the registry. I read the first page, and then jumped to the last page to post, but I'm really interested in seeing what other OBW owners have done to their wagons to make them more overland worthy. Mine, like many of yours I'm sure, is my DD, so while I wish I could do all the great things that are somewhat functional and super-aesthetically-pleasing (read: lift kit, tons of armor, larger than stock rubber), I have to pump the brakes and remember that I typically drive about 100 miles a day in commute (working from home since March has saved a TON of miles and gas)!

So far the biggest mod has been the addition of 1" wheel spacers all around and purpose-built tires (225/65R17 Falken Wildpeaks). The tires work with the AWD system instead of against it, and the spacers add a bit more of an aggressive stance. The wagon now looks the part, and has done everything I've asked of it so far.

Now back to previous posts...
"and has done everything I've asked of it so far."

That's what it's all about right there. Unless there's some specific demand that your vehicle isn't living up to, continuing to build up and out is wasting your hard-earned dollars.

Reactions: Baipin

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

"and has done everything I've asked of it so far."

That's what it's all about right there. Unless there's some specific demand that your vehicle isn't living up to, continuing to build up and out is wasting your hard-earned dollars.
Exactly. I had toyed with the idea of selling my Forester a bunch, then decided not to. Reflecting on how I actually used it, I realized I never really came across any terrain I couldn't either make it through, or just pick an easier line for, or a small detour. I had a stove, a sink, a bed, plenty of storage, and I want little else. Most importantly, I could always get where I wanted to go.

A lot of the people around here (Ontario and Eastern Canada) have very built trucks which is great, but the vast majority of the time they're on the same backroads, gravel roads, and offroad trails I am. The only time I would really need that extra capability is nearly always if I went out looking for those situations. I'm yet to come across something wholly impassable in the Subaru that would be passable in a truck, that I can't find a creative way around, that also leads to some campsite, some interesting destination, whatever... If you're offroading for the sake of offroading, then yeah, going with the most capable rig makes the most sense. But if you're like me - and I suspect a lot of Overlanders - who just want to get out into the wilderness and "offroad to go outside", rather than "go outside to offroad" a Subaru is, as I've come to find, damn near the perfect choice: Reliable, fuel-efficient, dependable capability as long as you familiarize yourself with the vehicle, very comfortable for long-distance trips (my favourite and IMO what makes overlanding different from a weekend out on the trails). It's also fantastic in mud because its lightweight and the AWD excels in that. I hear a lot say adding 1000 lbs to the Subaru makes it just as heavy as a small truck, but remember... you're adding that same 1000 lbs to whatever rig you drive if you've got a bunch of gear, mods, and such. Apples to apples, the Subaru still comes out lighter and I definitely notice that in the sort of terrain we have around here.

It gives me everything I practically need in a small SUV/wagon platform. The only other vehicle I plan on getting is a bus... but that's completely different; it's a 230sq ft. home on wheels.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Exactly. I had toyed with the idea of selling my Forester a bunch, then decided not to. Reflecting on how I actually used it, I realized I never really came across any terrain I couldn't either make it through, or just pick an easier line for, or a small detour. I had a stove, a sink, a bed, plenty of storage, and I want little else. Most importantly, I could always get where I wanted to go.

A lot of the people around here (Ontario and Eastern Canada) have very built trucks which is great, but the vast majority of the time they're on the same backroads, gravel roads, and offroad trails I am. The only time I would really need that extra capability is nearly always if I went out looking for those situations. I'm yet to come across something wholly impassable in the Subaru that would be passable in a truck, that I can't find a creative way around, that also leads to some campsite, some interesting destination, whatever... If you're offroading for the sake of offroading, then yeah, going with the most capable rig makes the most sense. But if you're like me - and I suspect a lot of Overlanders - who just want to get out into the wilderness and "offroad to go outside", rather than "go outside to offroad" a Subaru is, as I've come to find, damn near the perfect choice: Reliable, fuel-efficient, dependable capability as long as you familiarize yourself with the vehicle, very comfortable for long-distance trips (my favourite and IMO what makes overlanding different from a weekend out on the trails). It's also fantastic in mud because its lightweight and the AWD excels in that. I hear a lot say adding 1000 lbs to the Subaru makes it just as heavy as a small truck, but remember... you're adding that same 1000 lbs to whatever rig you drive if you've got a bunch of gear, mods, and such. Apples to apples, the Subaru still comes out lighter and I definitely notice that in the sort of terrain we have around here.

It gives me everything I practically need in a small SUV/wagon platform. The only other vehicle I plan on getting is a bus... but that's completely different; it's a 230sq ft. home on wheels.
giphy.gif

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams

Agreed, I own 2 jeeps, I love them both. I have a wrangler unlimited and my wife has a patriot. The patriot will go 90 percent of the places we go off roading, camping etc and I could do without going to the other 10 in all honesty. The difference between the two is the ride quality off road. Take my wrangler into the backcountry here, and drive. Then turn around and take the patriot on the same backroads, you will be going 30-40 percent slower. Meaning we will be bouncing around alot and not be comfortable. That's really the only downside to the Riot. I have driven subaru, even owned a couple, and their suspension is setup similar to the Riot. Very capable and able to go most anywhere, but the Jeep is just so much smoother over rough stuff. In the motorcycle world its like comparing a Vstrom to a KLR.

AdventureMule

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Wilmington, DE
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Hunter
Agreed, I own 2 jeeps, I love them both. I have a wrangler unlimited and my wife has a patriot. The patriot will go 90 percent of the places we go off roading, camping etc and I could do without going to the other 10 in all honesty. The difference between the two is the ride quality off road. Take my wrangler into the backcountry here, and drive. Then turn around and take the patriot on the same backroads, you will be going 30-40 percent slower. Meaning we will be bouncing around alot and not be comfortable. That's really the only downside to the Riot. I have driven subaru, even owned a couple, and their suspension is setup similar to the Riot. Very capable and able to go most anywhere, but the Jeep is just so much smoother over rough stuff. In the motorcycle world its like comparing a Vstrom to a KLR.
I like the phrase "purpose-built," and I'm sure I've already used it once or twice here. That's, in my mind, what it comes down to- my Subaru can be built for a purpose, while Jeeps are (at least they used to be) purpose-built. Caveat being that I haven't driven a Wrangler since my 04 TJ Rubicon, and have only been in one JK at an auto show. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure modern Jeep are plenty, if not more, capable than previous iterations, and should always be more capable than a station wagon!
I've owned three different TJ's and there was just something about that design that seemed more rugged and adventurous and willing to be abused. With a much heftier price tag these days, ownership seems less carefree.

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
Sorry, forgot to get those pics posted. Here's a video:

How is your signal with your antenna blocked by the vehicle? I know on my roof, mine is blocked by my roof tent and my signal is generally poor.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
How is your signal with your antenna blocked by the vehicle? I know on my roof, mine is blocked by my roof tent and my signal is generally poor.
Signal is actually fantastic. The repeater that I'm generally communicating through is about 22 miles from my house (as the crow flies), and driving around town I've never had any issues getting a clear signal to or from it.

Is your signal usually poor for transmitting, receiving, or both?

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
I finished my mock up of my dual battery system. Designed to fit in the spare tire well. This sits down and bolts into the spare holding nut. On top of it, (~4") I will install a new wooden floor that is level with the liftgate edge.
I have room to add in a second 35ah battery in parallel.
edit: Added photos of how it all fits in the Trek.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeffrey Dill

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
I finished my mock up of my dual battery system. Designed to fit in the spare tire well. This sits down and bolts into the spare holding nut. On top of it, (~4") I will install a new wooden floor that is level with the liftgate edge.
I have room to add in a second 35ah battery in parallel.
Nice! Wiring looks super clean. I'm curious what the piece in the middle, next to the two terminal bars, is doing?

Reactions: Shokgoblr

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
Nice! Wiring looks super clean. I'm curious what the piece in the middle, next to the two terminal bars, is doing?
Thats the high amp shunt for the meter. Connected in series with the battery Negative.