Rank V

Member II

Johns Creek, GA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Bowman
Member #

Anyone else in here rocking a Lunalife Camping Mattress?
Been thinking about it. I love that it splits in half; perfect for how my build is set up. Do you like it? I wonder how it handles the bump in the rear of the SJ Foz?
Shoot, never sent my reply. I love it! I have been keeping it on too hard for my liking, but I keep forgetting when I’m setting up that I can adjust it. I also haven’t had anything but a blanket with it, so that wilk definitely help I know they make one for the Foz, and Im sure they have accounted somehow for the slight hump

Reactions: Baipin

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I am looking at two different outbacks in my area. check both out and give your opinion. one is 1 hr away and 80 bucks a month cheaper which is what I am trying to accomplish right now. Lower payments, lower gas bill, lower maintenance bills etc. I like the white, but the green is not bad either.

2012 Subaru Outback Premium All-Wheel Drive - Gander, Newfoundland Labrador | NL Classifieds

2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i AT- $186.22 B/W Tax In - St. John's, Newfoundland Labrador | NL Classifieds

I will be trading the JK on this rig. Just ditching the Jeep for the outback to save on payments per month, gas, and mod list reduces meaning cheaper too!

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

@Autism Family Travels Go with the 2016, IMO. I'd go with a pre-2014 Subaru if it had a manual or automatic, rather than the CVT. To clarify; there is nothing actually wrong with the CVT performance-wise. There are plenty of videos comparing the two and the modern CVT Subarus perform as well as manuals - more often than not it comes down to driving style, all other mods being equal. The issue is reliability in the earliest ones. Around 2016, Subaru worked out the kinks in the new transmissions; the first couple of years of Outback and Forester CVTs had some issues, as is expected with new transmissions. The newer body style Outback of the 2016 (second-most-recent generation) is much better and what I'd look for if going CVT. If going MT, then either is a good choice.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
@Autism Family Travels Go with the 2016, IMO. I'd go with a pre-2014 Subaru if it had a manual or automatic, rather than the CVT. To clarify; there is nothing actually wrong with the CVT performance-wise. There are plenty of videos comparing the two and the modern CVT Subarus perform as well as manuals - more often than not it comes down to driving style, all other mods being equal. The issue is reliability in the earliest ones. Around 2016, Subaru worked out the kinks in the new transmissions; the first couple of years of Outback and Forester CVTs had some issues, as is expected with new transmissions. The newer body style Outback of the 2016 (second-most-recent generation) is much better and what I'd look for if going CVT. If going MT, then either is a good choice.
Thanks, that's what I was leaning towards as well. Plus I can purchase extended powetrain warranty from them as well. My jeep is showing signs of the dreaded warped head syndrom. Time to unload before I am left stranded.

Wandering_Wolverine

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Papillion, NE, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Priest
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K8JOK
Service Branch
USAF
Thanks, that's what I was leaning towards as well. Plus I can purchase extended powetrain warranty from them as well. My jeep is showing signs of the dreaded warped head syndrom. Time to unload before I am left stranded.
I have a 2017 Outback and Subaru extended the warranty on the transmission to 100k miles. Not sure what years they offered this on or if it is transferable but it might be something to look into.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
My friend and I are diving into my Jeep today to see whats going on. If it is indeed a warped cyl head, I will trade it in on the 2016, and purchase a new 7 year 160,000 km warranty for it. Since it's a subaru certified pre owned I can purchase warranty.

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

So wait.

Are all the Subaru auto's CVT'S after 2014 ?
Yeah, all auto Subarus after 2014 are CVT, but not all CVTs are the same, and Subaru still makes manuals. CVTs started as early as 2010 (if you don't count the Justy from the 80's). There are two modern CVTs; the TR690 (also called the High Torque CVT), and the TR580

• The TR690 was the first modern CVT offered by Subaru, and the early ones seem to be less reliable than the 580, but the later (2016+) ones seem to be as reliable if not more reliable than the 580. First offered in 2010 in the Outback 2.5L and 2015 Outback 3.6R natural aspirated models, 2014 Forester turbo, 2019 Ascent, and 2020 Outback turbo.
  • The TR580 started being offered in 2013 (and continues to be), in all naturally aspirated Outback/Impreza/Crosstrek/Forester.
  • The 6MT manual was offered in the Outback until 2016 in Canada but possibly not the US. Offered up until 2019 in the Forester, and is still offered in the 2020+ Crosstrek.
  • The CVT is generally preferable off-road vs the 6MT in the 2014-2017 Forester; better low-end torque. For the Outback; the 6MT in the 2015 and 2016 is just so rare I don't know much about it; but it'd probably be a great combo. The Crosstrek is great with either.
As for reliability; there are a lot of myths surrounding the CVT. Bruceyyyyy on Youtube has some good videos about that. basically; they are solid, reliability transmissions so long as you keep the temps in check. By the time the "AT TEMP" dash light comes on, you're already starting to do damage and running way too hot. This isn't really common elsewhere in the world; just North America it seems, and especially with the Forester. For whatever reason, the USDM Foresters do not come with a transmission cooler like they do in virtually every other part of the world except Canada. Adding a transmission cooler is one of the best upgrades I'd suggest for any modern CVT Subaru (I use a Hayden 679 with internal bypass). Just check how that affects your warranty, or if you even care about that. Monitoring temps with a bluetooth OBD reader is a great idea too. Personally, I will say that I do not baby my CVT Forester XT; I will be going through mud up past the door sills with little issue, occasionally tow 2 tons of dirt in a 5x8 trailer, and spin tires while yanking friends out of a bog. It handles all that fine; I replace the CVT fluid according tot he severe-duty cycle, but there has been very little degredation; no more than under normal use.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Yeah, all auto Subarus after 2014 are CVT, but not all CVTs are the same, and Subaru still makes manuals. CVTs started as early as 2010 (if you don't count the Justy from the 80's). There are two modern CVTs; the TR690 (also called the High Torque CVT), and the TR580

• The TR690 was the first modern CVT offered by Subaru, and the early ones seem to be less reliable than the 580, but the later (2016+) ones seem to be as reliable if not more reliable than the 580. First offered in 2010 in the Outback 2.5L and 2015 Outback 3.6R natural aspirated models, 2014 Forester turbo, 2019 Ascent, and 2020 Outback turbo.
  • The TR580 started being offered in 2013 (and continues to be), in all naturally aspirated Outback/Impreza/Crosstrek/Forester.
  • The 6MT manual was offered in the Outback until 2016 in Canada but possibly not the US. Offered up until 2019 in the Forester, and is still offered in the 2020+ Crosstrek.
  • The CVT is generally preferable off-road vs the 6MT in the 2014-2017 Forester; better low-end torque. For the Outback; the 6MT in the 2015 and 2016 is just so rare I don't know much about it; but it'd probably be a great combo. The Crosstrek is great with either.
As for reliability; there are a lot of myths surrounding the CVT. Bruceyyyyy on Youtube has some good videos about that. basically; they are solid, reliability transmissions so long as you keep the temps in check. By the time the "AT TEMP" dash light comes on, you're already starting to do damage and running way too hot. This isn't really common elsewhere in the world; just North America it seems, and especially with the Forester. For whatever reason, the USDM Foresters do not come with a transmission cooler like they do in virtually every other part of the world except Canada. Adding a transmission cooler is one of the best upgrades I'd suggest for any modern CVT Subaru (I use a Hayden 679 with internal bypass). Just check how that affects your warranty, or if you even care about that. Monitoring temps with a bluetooth OBD reader is a great idea too. Personally, I will say that I do not baby my CVT Forester XT; I will be going through mud up past the door sills with little issue, occasionally tow 2 tons of dirt in a 5x8 trailer, and spin tires while yanking friends out of a bog. It handles all that fine; I replace the CVT fluid according tot he severe-duty cycle, but there has been very little degredation; no more than under normal use.
I have had 2 CVT's. I still own one. I hate them with a passion. They are garbage. My patriot was junk because of the cvt, our new 2015 with a traditional 6sp trans is WAY better than the CVT version. My 2003 audi a4 with cvt is the same. GARBAGE. I would never convince anyone to buy a CVT equipped vehicle even though the subaru version seems reliable. I was willing to give it a shot. As I was some what desperate for a capable rig. All over a hose clamp. ha ha.

Reactions: Murphy Slaw

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I have had 2 CVT's. I still own one. I hate them with a passion. They are garbage. My patriot was junk because of the cvt, our new 2015 with a traditional 6sp trans is WAY better than the CVT version. My 2003 audi a4 with cvt is the same. GARBAGE. I would never convince anyone to buy a CVT equipped vehicle even though the subaru version seems reliable. I was willing to give it a shot. As I was some what desperate for a capable rig. All over a hose clamp. ha ha.
Eh, the Subaru CVT seems a lot better than any other brand; it's also designed and built in-house, so different than the Aisin stuff plagued with issues. It isn't my first choice either, it is not "fun" to drive, but it's great for long-distance overlanding; great on gas and it can do everything I ask of it offroad. Unless I'm out specifically searching for difficult trails, I have no issue keeping up with AT or MT rigs on 95% of the stuff I face in Ontario/Quebec and getting to where I want to go. Muddy or snowy trails, washes, smaller rock gardens, etc. MT would be nice but practically, there isn't much it can't do that I (or most people) need it to do.

DharmaBum

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Denver, Colorado, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Sniezak
Member #

Hello fellow Pleiades overlanders! I'm relatively new to OB and to the overland community. I live in the South Bay, CA (Los Angeles County) area and am hoping to expand my overlanding/exploring circle. A little background on my rig, I own a 2018 Forester XT: 1.5" ADF lift; Standard King Springs; Bilstein B6 Struts; 17" Black Rhino with 225/65/R17 Falken Wildpeak Trail A/T; internal & external cosmetic mods. Looking to increase my overland knowledge, expand my experience with deeper explorations in a Subaru, and to learn more about local spots for weekend explorations! Hope there are some locals here willing to give a shout out or invite (even with the limitations from current circumstances).

Cheers!

tempImagea5DLef.jpgtempImageMiI4zQ.jpgtempImageTNfNYO.png

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

I have had 2 CVT's. I still own one. I hate them with a passion. They are garbage. My patriot was junk because of the cvt, our new 2015 with a traditional 6sp trans is WAY better than the CVT version.
My wife has a 2015 Patriot 4wd High Altitude with the 6 speed. Best vehicle she ever owned. Eats snow. 120,000 bullet proof miles. That's why I'm in this sub-forum, we WERE considering a Subaru for a replacement in a year or two.

Not now.

savrip

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Louisville, KY, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Hopkins
Member #

I'm at the point now where I'm just getting the basics. I haven't really performed any major modifications. Just got it ready for travel and recovery.

Copy and Pasted from my Google Sheets expense tracking spreadsheet. Yep, I'm a nerd.

eTrailer 2" Hitch$119.00
Ceiling Cargo Net$17.00
Thule SILVER AeroBlade EDGE Roof Rack$250.00
Subaru/Thule Roof Box$200.00
NOCO Boost XL Jump Starter$94.00
Stay There 3"x30' Recovery Strap$32.00
Charge Port/Cable$17.00
First Aid Kit$17.00
AUKEY Phone Dash Mount$17.00
Recovery Boards$120.00
Tire Inflator$31.00

BeFunky-collage.jpg

Thekevin

Rank IV
Launch Member

Explorer I

Randolph, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Cosgrove
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2GHD
Does anyone know where i can find CAD files for the interior of a 2019 forester. im trying to design a replacement trunk floor storage area.

DharmaBum

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Denver, Colorado, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Sniezak
Member #

Hi everyone,

Looking for some help putting together a comprehensive/mobile tool kit for my 2018 FXT. Definitely want to maximize weight and items, but is great for weekend warrioring and multi-day trips. I have a 135 piece craftsman tool set that I got on sale and was going to break it down for my rig. Seems like a good place to start. If there is a thread Subaru specific I’d love to get that link!

What I figured:
Duct & electrical tape; super glue (I hear gel is easier to work with); razor blade and wire cutters; metric wrenches and ratchets—1/2, 3/8 & 1/4 (what sizes are best to have on hand, spark plug?); breaker bar (24” enough?); hammer; pliers (needle, adjustable, locking); simple set of hooks/needle; screw driver with multiple bits (are longer shafts necessary?); lubes (small WD40, wht lithium, & graphite for locks); oil funnel; pry bar(s)?; zip ties (length, strength, or types?); ...

Any recommendations for additions or subtractions would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers