Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

We went to Mountain View, Ark. last weekend.

People were asking about it every time we stopped.

I had no idea they were that well known. I thought it was just people who hang out here at OB...
New England, PNW and Montana and Colorado have the largest numbers of Subarus in the US. We have a ton here in the Northeast. I once got out of work a little late to see the lot mostly empty except my GMC sierra and like 5 Subarus.

So I've already seen a bunch of Sport and Wilderness Foresters and Outbacks.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
tossing this out to the Subaru owners, whats the deal with towing capacity ratings? Australia has 4400 lbs and N/A has 3500.....there are no differences in the vehicles. Goes the same for our Patriot. 2000 in N/A and 3300 lbs in Australia. You would think they would do it the other way since heat is much less of an issue in Canada than AUS. The rigs are the same. I guess Australia is less sue happy.

Last edited:

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
tossing this out to the Subaru owners, whats the deal with towing capacity ratings? Australia has 4400 lbs and N/A has 3500.....there are no differences in the vehicles. Goes the same for our Patriot. 2000 in N/A and 3300 lbs in Australia. You would think they would do it the other way since heat is much less of an issue in Canada than AUS. The rigs are the same. I guess Australia is less sue happy.

1665327595819.png

Last edited:

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
there's a scientific reason...

View attachment 242390

Won't let me open it.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
US lawyers.
Unfortunately, That has spread to Canada too as our ratings are the same. 2000lbs for the pat in Canada, 3300 in Australia same vehicle, same engine, same everything. The Outback and WIlderness is 3500 in Canada and 4400 in AUS.

I will not worry to much about it then if I buy a NO/BO 16.6 and load a weekends worth of gear with us when we get the OB. Use trailer brakes and anti sway hitch and I will mosey along.

Reactions: MiamiC70

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Is it due to conversion to the "British Pound"?

I'll get my coat

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I have a question for the Subaru collective.
I currently have an 08 Suburban and my wife has a 2022 Outback. I have been using the Suburban for camping/Overlanding trips. I am keeping the Suburban and I am getting a 2023 Outback for myself (Gas Mileage).
I still want to camp/Overland, but use the Outback. As I have my wife's car to test, I found that we can both sleep in the back. It is tighter, but doable.
RTT and Ground tents are not an option for me. Do any of you sleep 2 in your Subaru? How well dose it work? What do you bring/not bring due to the size constraints?
Any advise you can share sleeping and camping out of these smaller vehicles?

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
I do not think I have shown my Subie in this thread. This is my '14 Outback (3rd Subie/2nd Outback) that I have modded for overlanding and car camping. It has been very reliable since I purchased it in 2013. It has an extensive list of mods but the majority of the mods are from Rallitek. Here is a link to my build thread: Overlanding 2014 Outback It was showcased at Overland Expo Mtn West '22. If this vehicle ever decides to call it quits, my next one would more than likely be an Outback Wilderness but this one will always hold a special place in my heart.

148CD7B0-82F9-48AA-B7AF-5B39DDCC5DCA.jpeg
IMG_2257.jpg
FB_IMG_1630944007342.jpgFB_IMG_1630944023272 (1).jpg301006025_5220273414736459_7344201949719025794_n.jpg

Last edited:

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
I do not think I have shown my Subie in this thread. This is my '14 Outback (3rd Subie/2nd Outback) that I have modded for overlanding and car camping. It has been very reliable since I purchased it in 2013. It has an extensive list of mods but the majority of the mods are from Rallitek. Here is a link to my build thread: Overlanding 2014 Outback It was showcased at Overland Expo Mtn West '22. If this vehicle ever decides to call it quits, my next one would more than likely be an Outback Wilderness but this one will always hold a special place in my heart.

View attachment 243490
View attachment 243491
View attachment 243492View attachment 243493View attachment 243494
What from bar is that? Any wobble or noise since I see you have OEM front bumper guard.
My bar is from Rally Innovations. No noise or wobble from it. It is bolt underneath the car and into the area below the grille.

Reactions: MiamiC70

attacktheculdesac

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pineywoods of Texas
First Name
Bradley
Last Name
Hardy
Member #

Within the past month picked up a 2016 Forester XT. Very different chassis than my last "Exploration vehicle" Toyota Sequoia.

Have added following items: DiodeDynamics SS3 Amber Fogs, Grimmspeed Chargepipe (replace factory plastic piece), and Subaru Door Visors.

Have SubtleSolutions 1" Front and 1/2" Rear Suspension Spacer that I need to get installed. Not the most USABLE, but only adding to level out vehicle and gain "some" ground clearance.

Reactions: Cascadia

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
Within the past month picked up a 2016 Forester XT. Very different chassis than my last "Exploration vehicle" Toyota Sequoia.

Have added following items: DiodeDynamics SS3 Amber Fogs, Grimmspeed Chargepipe (replace factory plastic piece), and Subaru Door Visors.

Have SubtleSolutions 1" Front and 1/2" Rear Suspension Spacer that I need to get installed. Not the most USABLE, but only adding to level out vehicle and gain "some" ground clearance.
Congrats on your new to you Forester XT. I look forward to seeing how it looks with the new accessories and mods.

attacktheculdesac

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pineywoods of Texas
First Name
Bradley
Last Name
Hardy
Member #

I've attached the Diode Dynamics fogs installed on the Forrester. I also included my 98 GT Wagon that is my weekend cruiser (thinking of possibly swapping Forester struts in it)

The Legacy has way more than to shake a stick at : BumpSteer Kit, Rear Swaybar and Mounts, Front/Rear Strutbar, Front/Rear Endlinks all by WhiteLine, Recaro SR3 Confetti driver seat, Kartboy shifter and shifter bushings, STI Group-N Transmisison mount, Hella 500 Fog/Driving Lights (angled up to shine more straight forward), BC Coilovers, Cusco Front/Rear Powerbrace and Rear Differential Mount, 17" Fifteen52 Chicane wheels on 245/45 Hankook Ventus tires, Japan market Fender Markers, Subaru 4 Pot Front Brake upgrade, Goodridge Brakelines, Cobb CatBack Exhaust (fabbed to fit from Bugeye WRX), Renown Steering wheel with Sparco mounting Hub, Kenwood DoubleDin touchscreen with JVC/Kicker Door speakers, and my FAVORITE MOD BuiltbyBasil Skateboard scrap shiftknob from Europe.

Attachments

Reactions: Cascadia

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
Very nice.

I have shown my overlander but it is not the only Subaru that I own. I also have a '20 Legacy XT which is my daily driver and helping to keep the mile low on the older Subaru. This one is not heavily modded. Just an engine skid plate from Rallitek and a lip.

I do enjoy both of my vehicles.

DSC_3531.JPG

Reactions: attacktheculdesac

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I mentioned a few posts back that I was getting a new Outback for light overlanding to replace the Suburban. Gas mileage is almost 3 times the Suburban.
Here is my new 2023 Outback Onyx. Skid plates will be ordered soon, new tires and wheels before the end of the year and I a still figuring out what I want to do for a lift.
The rest of the "Gear" will just transfer over from the Suburban. Oh, and yes, this is Subaru #3. My wife has a 2022 Outback Limited, my daughter a 2019 Forester Premium and my 2023 Onyx.
Can't have too many Subarus. 20221111_151936.jpg