Morgantown, WV
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Parsley
Member #

View attachment 191493

View attachment 191494

So I installed the axle-back exhaust from Nameless Performance with the 5" mufflers. It doesn't really add any performance to the car (other than shaving 20 lbs from the stock mufflers) but the sound... oh the glorious sound! It makes the flat six sound amazing.
Glad to see you decided to go with these! I hope to grab the same ones in the future for my 3.6. Your OB is lifted isnt it? I have heard the Nameless will hang down lower if lifted, but yours seems to look just fine to me.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Glad to see you decided to go with these! I hope to grab the same ones in the future for my 3.6. Your OB is lifted isnt it? I have heard the Nameless will hang down lower if lifted, but yours seems to look just fine to me.
Yeah, it has 2½" strut top spacers and 2" subframe spacers back there. I read that in the reviews as well but these couldn't have been any simpler and fit perfect. Some WD40, a 14mm socket wrench and a set of channel lock pliers was all I needed. I had the whole process finished in a little over 30 minutes.

DrockinWV

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Morgantown, WV
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Parsley
Member #

Yeah, it has 2½" strut top spacers and 2" subframe spacers back there. I read that in the reviews as well but these couldn't have been any simpler and fit perfect. Some WD40, a 14mm socket wrench and a set of channel lock pliers was all I needed. I had the whole process finished in a little over 30 minutes.
Looks and sounds great! I had the same ones on my STi and they are super simple to swap out. Have you done any WOT with the new axle back? I'm excited to see how that flat 6 sounds with a good exhaust!

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Don those drone pretty bad due to the CVT?
A lot of folks over at SubarOutback.org end up taking them off after a while because of it.

I picked up some take off WRX mufflers off FB marketplace I’m going to install as they were cheap, a direct bolt on (with me tips} and a nice compromise.
To a degree. I didn't do the straight axle-back pipe option. It is no different than the sound of wind against the roof basket. When I took the stuff out of the spare tire area I put down some extra dynamat I had laying around, so that helps with some sound dampening. It was only 5 years ago that I was still driving my Silverado SS which was a 6.0 Liter V8 that was straight piped from the headers to the back with no cats or anything - so this is whisper quiet compared to that.

The Wander Wagon is still the quietest steed in my stable compared to the motorcycles and boat engines that sometimes unintentionally interrupt my neighbors' barbecues.

Reactions: MiamiC70

Jezus53

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Home
I swear I need to wear headphones if I want to listen to the radio due to the wind noise from the basket. The nice thing is it keeps me from speeding since it produces a ton of drag. The bad thing is that drag costs a lot of money.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Unfortunately, I have a feeling will be just cladding, questionable rims, tires, “special colors” and a body lift.
It’s a shame as with a car called Outback and another Forester Subaru should have been leading the “Overland” wave. They are instead 5 years too late to the party and coming with a 4 banger and no 6 cylinder.
A non-CVT transmission would make a world of difference.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Ok if no one else is going to say it I will... the wilderness edition looks like sin. I’d say the only addition worth mentioning is the gearing change which I was thoroughly surprised by.

C2302DDB-97FF-4FA3-BC65-78DBD92F5D1D.jpeg

Last edited:

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Ok if no one else is going to say it I will... the wilderness edition looks like sin. I’d say the only addition worth mentioning is the gearing change which I was thoroughly surprised by.

View attachment 193194
Wow, agreed. :neutral:

Other than the gearing change and like half inch increase to ground clearance (:sleeping:), looks like all you're getting is more plastic cladding to break on the trail.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Wow, agreed. :neutral:

Other than the gearing change and like half inch increase to ground clearance (:sleeping:), looks like all you're getting is more plastic cladding to break on the trail.
The new x-mode and the regearing are the key to this thing. It is pretty goofy looking, but the important thing is that it is a step in the right direction for Subaru. They have been leaving a lot of money on the table. Hopefully this is just a first step. A lot of people out there are just needing a vehicle capable of some soft roading and want a turnkey purchase. If they market this right and can prove it's capability at a better value than the little Jeeps (all the ones below Grand Cherokee?) it could lead to even more capable vehicles in the future. It is kinda like how they introduced the Impreza here. Then they brought the WRX. Then they brought the WRX STi.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
The new x-mode and the regearing are the key to this thing. It is pretty goofy looking, but the important thing is that it is a step in the right direction for Subaru. They have been leaving a lot of money on the table. Hopefully this is just a first step. A lot of people out there are just needing a vehicle capable of some soft roading and want a turnkey purchase. If they market this right and can prove it's capability at a better value than the little Jeeps (all the ones below Grand Cherokee?) it could lead to even more capable vehicles in the future. It is kinda like how they introduced the Impreza here. Then they brought the WRX. Then they brought the WRX STi.
Speaking of the STi... limited slip differentials would have been a whole lot better than any xmode.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Speaking of the STi... limited slip differentials would have been a whole lot better than any xmode.
Yeah. So would a non-CVT trans but I think they are just dipping their toes in for now. Cheaper for them to tweak what they already have and see what kind of response it gets in the market before they go whole hog.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Yeah. So would a non-CVT trans but I think they are just dipping their toes in for now. Cheaper for them to tweak what they already have and see what kind of response it gets in the market before they go whole hog.
They’ll never go all in. Not going to happen. The transmission isn’t necessarily an issue. Heat and software hold it back and both are easily cured. The differentials are already in the parts bin and a simple add especially considering it’s literally the new STi drivetrain.