Subaru Owners Registry

• HTML tutorial

ca_rage

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bay Area
I've had the springs installed for about 16 months, but have not put a whole lot of miles on them.
Rear sway bar is still in place.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I've had the springs installed for about 16 months, but have not put a whole lot of miles on them.
Rear sway bar is still in place.
Removing the sway bar is about a 20 minute job with no jack and it will allow the rear springs to get more beat up more easily since the rear will 'flex' more. Since you have higher spring rate springs installed it's likely you won't notice the difference on road but off road will be much smoother. Time, weight, and off road use will have the rear springs riding pretty good without the dual sport so long as you're carrying enough normal weight.

ca_rage

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bay Area
Removing the sway bar is about a 20 minute job with no jack and it will allow the rear springs to get more beat up more easily since the rear will 'flex' more. Since you have higher spring rate springs installed it's likely you won't notice the difference on road but off road will be much smoother. Time, weight, and off road use will have the rear springs riding pretty good without the dual sport so long as you're carrying enough normal weight.
Thanks for the advice. I'll try that before I make another change.

CurrentlyRockhoundin

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Jared
Last Name
Goguen
Member #

Does anyone have any thoughts on installing a hitch, on a 2012 Outback? Its seems like there are a number of options but all of them have some bad reviews.

Bogie Adventures

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Lubbock, TX
First Name
John
Last Name
Beauregard
Member #

Returning back to the OB family after quite a long time away. In that time I have traded in my 2015 Crosstrek and for the past year been enjoying the 2020 Outback Onyx edition. Can't wait to add some things to this new platform.

Attachments

photosubieoverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Antonio
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Does anyone have any thoughts on installing a hitch, on a 2012 Outback? Its seems like there are a number of options but all of them have some bad reviews.
I bought a Curt hitch from etrailer and did it myself. Its the hidden version that required taking the rear bumper off and it mounts behind the steal bumper. Took about an hour and havent had any issues.

Reactions: Rocky

Rocky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Loveland, Colorado
Member #

I bought a Curt hitch from etrailer and did it myself. Its the hidden version that required taking the rear bumper off and it mounts behind the steal bumper. Took about an hour and havent had any issues.
Agree, I also bought mine from e-trailer for our 2011 Forester. They have some really good videos on how to install them. Mine is also a 2" class 3 hitch, not that I pull that amount but it's nice to know it's that strong.

Reactions: photosubieoverland

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
Iv'e had the Curt hitch on my trek for a couple years now. I have towed with it, I have snatched with it, I have banged on COUNTLESS rocks and it is ROCK SOLID. The only thing is the Anti Rattle bolts between my hitch and tire carrier loosen up after big rock bangs. I even relocated my backup cam to the hitch so I can see beyond my tire.

Reactions: Baipin

photosubieoverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Antonio
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Iv'e had the Curt hitch on my trek for a couple years now. I have towed with it, I have snatched with it, I have banged on COUNTLESS rocks and it is ROCK SOLID. The only thing is the Anti Rattle bolts between my hitch and tire carrier loosen up after big rock bangs. I even relocated my backup cam to the hitch so I can see beyond my tire.
What did you use to relocate the backup cam? I have a Wilco Solo swinging hitch on mine with a front runner table mounted to it so I cant see a thing.

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
What did you use to relocate the backup cam? I have a Wilco Solo swinging hitch on mine with a front runner table mounted to it so I cant see a thing.
I scavanged some 4 conductor USB wire and I bought an OEM backup camera off a crashed Trek on Ebay. I soldered the OEM connector to one end of the extension wire, added a 4pin waterproof connector on the other and ran the cam end through a grommet in the trunk floor. I made a simple mount out of some sheet metal and fixed it to a safe spot on my hitch.

Attachments

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign