Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

So things got real rowdy on the Georgia Traverse last weekend (but we did finish the entire 390 mile route) & we had a few deep water crossings. Luckily I was able to get in & out fairly quickly without any drama. I haven’t done the canister filter bypass yet, but I am ordering 1 this week. My question is - what is my estimated maximum fording depth as it is & what will it be after the bypass?
2019 Outback 3.6R Touring, 2” front strut spacers, 2.5” rear strut spacers & 2” subframe spacers running 245/65-17 AT rubber. It has Bilstein B6 struts & King Springs if that makes a difference.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
So things got real rowdy on the Georgia Traverse last weekend (but we did finish the entire 390 mile route) & we had a few deep water crossings. Luckily I was able to get in & out fairly quickly without any drama. I haven’t done the canister filter bypass yet, but I am ordering 1 this week. My question is - what is my estimated maximum fording depth as it is & what will it be after the bypass?
2019 Outback 3.6R Touring, 2” front strut spacers, 2.5” rear strut spacers & 2” subframe spacers running 245/65-17 AT rubber. It has Bilstein B6 struts & King Springs if that makes a difference.
My suggestion would be to make your own. I‘d also avoid doing water crossings until you do because there’s only 1 breather lower than the canister vent and it’s the rear diff. Oddly enough they're right next to each other.

Maximum fording depth is a bit of a grey area. Things like the ability to maintain a bow wake or how much water you’re ok with inside the car will impact the number but you can be sure you don’t want to hear what Subaru’s official suggestion is. It’s probably somewhere in the area of the door sills haha.

SubieManBran

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Utah
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Allred
Member #

View attachment 92174

View attachment 92175

This is probably going to be the newest kid on the block seeing how I just rolled past 3000 miles on the odometer yesterday.

2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring
Wilderness Green Metallic
Java Brown Leather Interior
It has just about every option in the book, but I can never leave well enough alone...

ReadyLift - 2" SST Lift'
Sport Edition P3 17x7.5 Wheels
29.5" Kuhmo AT51 Tires
2" Rear Wheel Spacers
19mm STI Rear Sway Bar
RalliTEK Heavy Duty Front Adjustable End Links
Thule AeroBlade Edge Crossbars
Thule Canyon XT Roof Basket
Reese Towpower Class III Receiver
Inflatable 4 Ton Offroad Jack
Portable Jump Starter Battery Pack
Onboard Air Compressor
Uniden Compact CB Radio (hidden in center console)
Magnetic CB Antenna
Green Accent lights behind the grill
Green Accent lights under the front dash and under the back of the front seats (just creates a low green glow on the floor boards)

Coming this weekend, I am installing four 5" round trail lights across the front of the roof basket. Before I spend the money for some really good KC's or Hella's I'm gonna see if I like the way it looks with some cheaper lights first. If I don't like it, I'll just use the lights on my boat.
What Onboard Air Compressor did you use and where did you end up mounting it? I have a 2020 OB XT and i'm wanting to mount in the ARB CKMA12 and am wondering where others have found the best spot in a subie. TIA

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

What Onboard Air Compressor did you use and where did you end up mounting it? I have a 2020 OB XT and i'm wanting to mount in the ARB CKMA12 and am wondering where others have found the best spot in a subie. TIA
Wowwww.... I have changed so much stuff on this list in the 14 months since I first posted this. I had the VIAIR ultra-light duty onboard system in the trunk up against the back of the rear seats. It was pretty good, but it had a 1 gallon tank that was a bit annoying. I eventually went over to 1 by Amazon Basics that does a pretty damn good job. It clips to the battery using alligator clips. I am planning on getting the ARB CKMA12 as well, but I’ve been trying to figure the best place for it. Under the hood is no good for me bc there isn’t much real estate under there w/ the 3.6L & even if there was I don’t know if I’d want to have to deal w/ the grime buildup. Under the floor in the trunk is no good either because when I’m usually airing back up all my gear is in the way. So I’m thinking I’m going to get these MOLLE style racks that go over those extra windows in the trunk. If I can mount it to one of those it would be super convenient to access as well as store the hose, nozzle & all that stuff. I already have an empty relay spot to hook it up to my switch panel, I’ve just gotta get the MOLLE parts & see how to install the compressor onto it.

SubieManBran

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Utah
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Allred
Member #

Wowwww.... I have changed so much stuff on this list in the 14 months since I first posted this. I had the VIAIR ultra-light duty onboard system in the trunk up against the back of the rear seats. It was pretty good, but it had a 1 gallon tank that was a bit annoying. I eventually went over to 1 by Amazon Basics that does a pretty damn good job. It clips to the battery using alligator clips. I am planning on getting the ARB CKMA12 as well, but I’ve been trying to figure the best place for it. Under the hood is no good for me bc there isn’t much real estate under there w/ the 3.6L & even if there was I don’t know if I’d want to have to deal w/ the grime buildup. Under the floor in the trunk is no good either because when I’m usually airing back up all my gear is in the way. So I’m thinking I’m going to get these MOLLE style racks that go over those extra windows in the trunk. If I can mount it to one of those it would be super convenient to access as well as store the hose, nozzle & all that stuff. I already have an empty relay spot to hook it up to my switch panel, I’ve just gotta get the MOLLE parts & see how to install the compressor onto it.
Ya thats my problem as you trying to find any space under the hood.. Subaru loves to squeeze things in there as tight as they can haha. I've looked at the Molle racks but no one has them for the 2020 model yet since they changed up the platform. I do have some cubbies in the trunk area i'm thinking i could maybe mod up to work with the CKMA12 but for sure wouldn't work for the twin compressor.

I'd be interested to hear what mods your changed and what you kept from the original list and what things you upgraded/ got rid of. I dove in with alot of the functional mods first and now i'm putting together more technical gear and saving up for the spendy RTT.. ha Here is a list of my stuff:

2020 Subaru Outback XT
Black Rhino Sanstorm 17'
Wildpeak ATW3 245/65/17
Primitive Full underarmor
2.5" Readylift
Prinsu Roofrack
Window & Sunroof gaurds
Nameless 5" Axle Back
Nameless Strut Bar Tower
Tons of useless but stylish vinyl haha

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Ya thats my problem as you trying to find any space under the hood.. Subaru loves to squeeze things in there as tight as they can haha. I've looked at the Molle racks but no one has them for the 2020 model yet since they changed up the platform. I do have some cubbies in the trunk area i'm thinking i could maybe mod up to work with the CKMA12 but for sure wouldn't work for the twin compressor.

I'd be interested to hear what mods your changed and what you kept from the original list and what things you upgraded/ got rid of. I dove in with alot of the functional mods first and now i'm putting together more technical gear and saving up for the spendy RTT.. ha Here is a list of my stuff:

2020 Subaru Outback XT
Black Rhino Sanstorm 17'
Wildpeak ATW3 245/65/17
Primitive Full underarmor
2.5" Readylift
Prinsu Roofrack
Window & Sunroof gaurds
Nameless 5" Axle Back
Nameless Strut Bar Tower
Tons of useless but stylish vinyl haha
Let’s see...
  • I got rid of the ReadyLift strut spacers in the rear & installed the 2.5” spacers from ADF along w/ the 2” subframe spacers.
  • I got rid of the wheel spacers.
  • I did a complete delete of the rear sway bar.
  • I brought in Bilstein B6 struts paired w/ King springs.
  • I upgraded the ignition system, fuel system, & intake system to feed my internal Clarkson need for more power.
  • The Reese hitch receiver was recessed too far underneath under the rear bumper for the tire carrier so I swapped in 1 from eTrailer. Still a Class III. I sold the Reese to another Subaru Overland Bound member in Charlotte, NC for a bargain.
  • I bought a Wilco Hitchgate Classic from another Overland Bound member in Washington State for a hell of a bargain so I have an easy solution for carrying a fullsize
  • I still have my CB but it only gets used when I’m trying to listen in on truckers to find out what the deal is w/ traffic. I went w/ the Midland MXT275 GMRS base unit w/ a 6dB gain antenna. It is so much better in range & quality. The added benefit of the radio sharing some channels w/ cheap walkie talkies makes it so much easier w/ a spotter for short range, line-of-sight while they are out of the car
  • I extended my Thule basket for now but I want to eventually get a Prisnu
  • I made my own brackets to hold traction boards on the basket
  • I put in a front bumper rally bar from Rally Innovations.
  • I have a set of (2) Hella 500 lights w/ amber lenses on the bumper bar, another set of (4) going across the top of the basket, (1) Baja Designs S2 Sport pod in the basket facing port, (1) facing starboard, & (2) more facing rear. I call the rear facing set my F-You lights bc they make an excellent tailgater repellent.
  • I didn’t want to drop like $800 for a switch panel controller like the SPods go for, so I went w/ an alternative from Infinite Offroad. The buttons in the car are unobtrusive & convenient. The fuse & relay box took a little work to fit under the hood but it’s a solid unit. The company mainly markets products for those side-by-side ATVs so I have a lot of confidence in the box not getting anything nasty to rain hell on my electronics.
  • Primitive Racing engine, transmission, & rear diff armor
I don’t plan on fooling with a RTT. I would only want 1 if I could have a hard shell 1 & a good 1 is like $3k. I’m happy w/ my Gazelle tent & cot at 10% the cost. I also don’t have to sacrifice my backseat for a week long trip since I can load gear in my roof in Pelican waterproof cases.

I looked real hard at the Nameless Exhaust kit bc the 3.6L dual exhaust sounds amazing w/ it. But at $500+ for the dual exhaust w/ 5” mufflers there isn’t any performance gain, & the weight savings is nominal at best - the only benefit is the intoxicating sound of the boxer growl.

I want to get some vinyl done bc I hate the chrome. On my 2019, the folks at Subaru decided to put MORE chrome on the Touring package than the rest of the packages. Unfortunately, I don’t have the steady hands or the patience to do it myself so I am looking for someone to do it for me w/o charging me an arm & a leg. The search continues. I’m also considering changing the wheels to a matte gold to compliment the amber lights.

Here are a few shots from the last few months of rambling around the hills in the Appalachia Wander Wagon! There is a long, grueling lack of adventure between the last snow in February & more recently thanks to the stupid apocalypse. 97C76184-E1EC-4004-B474-A4607478914D.jpegCA8A5947-02D3-4A23-BF0C-83F9D46CAB8E.jpeg546CCCDB-F40E-4C18-8294-E50EB0389F95.jpeg739EF031-A1F7-4159-81E4-D177F7B53C60.jpeg8DCF8040-9D59-4599-B9A0-DFD115644218.jpeg
View attachment FullSizeRender.mov

View attachment FullSizeRender.mov

Reactions: SAAB

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Slick looking ride, @Joshbright ! Always glad to see another overlanding Subie out there.

1592019297843.png

I've been working on a new roof rack these past few days. Lighter weight; more rigid, larger, and lower than the OEM room rails, so once finished with fairings, it should be a bit more aerodynamic as well!

Just roughing out the final position for it... I'll be adding a light bar and removing the two rally lights up top for a more finished look, and better aerodynamics.

1592019724513.png

So far, so good! If anyone wants the .DWG files to get your own side panels cut via laser or waterjet, I have uploaded them here: Gofile - you'll need 5" x 69" x 3/16 or 1/4 aluminum, minimum.

Last edited:

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
Hey! New member with a 2019 Crosstrek. My GF and I do a cross country camping trip every summer and the Trek is the prefect vehicle for us. We have no kids, and are very happy without them. We love to camp and travel. What sucks is our trip is seriously curtailed this year due to Covid, so I made a ton of upgrades I wont be using right away. So far, just the standard upgrades:

1" ADF lift (picture is before the lift)
215 General Grabber AT2
Motegi MR139s
Tepui Ayer Sky 2 (hate the look, but love to sleep in it)
Custom built folding spare carrier
Tyger Basket
LED bar in the grill

Upgrades on the way:
Smittybuilt Awning is in the mail
Warn Hidden Winch bumper is ordered but wont be installed till fall when I can afford the winch too.
Custom Topo hood blackout and chrome trim wrap (just gotta find a good shop)
Need to figure out an extra fuel can.... maybe a jerry can on the spare or a rotopax on the roof? I dunno...
Need to figure out a portable/solar? charging system for my 12v battery boxIMG_20200420_074156.jpgIMG_20190623_190746.jpg

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Hey! New member with a 2019 Crosstrek. My GF and I do a cross country camping trip every summer and the Trek is the prefect vehicle for us. We have no kids, and are very happy without them. We love to camp and travel. What sucks is our trip is seriously curtailed this year due to Covid, so I made a ton of upgrades I wont be using right away. So far, just the standard upgrades:

1" ADF lift (picture is before the lift)
215 General Grabber AT2
Motegi MR139s
Tepui Ayer Sky 2 (hate the look, but love to sleep in it)
Custom built folding spare carrier
Tyger Basket
LED bar in the grill

Upgrades on the way:
Smittybuilt Awning is in the mail
Warn Hidden Winch bumper is ordered but wont be installed till fall when I can afford the winch too.
Custom Topo hood blackout and chrome trim wrap (just gotta find a good shop)
Need to figure out an extra fuel can.... maybe a jerry can on the spare or a rotopax on the roof? I dunno...
Need to figure out a portable/solar? charging system for my 12v battery boxView attachment 160685View attachment 160686
Nice! I'm really jealous of the Warn options they made just for the Treks... leaving the big wagons out of all the fun.

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
Nice! I'm really jealous of the Warn options they made just for the Treks... leaving the big wagons out of all the fun.
I am really excited. It was a big purchase. I hope I get to use it! I think I have seen an outback with a hidden winch on youtube?
I just wish I could gain a better approach angle without cutting my fogs and wiper tank out.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

I am really excited. It was a big purchase. I hope I get to use it! I think I have seen an outback with a hidden winch on youtube?
I just wish I could gain a better approach angle without cutting my fogs and wiper tank out.
They do, but it isn't nearly as solid as the complete Warn package. I'm not going ahead with the winch option because I am wrestling with the bumper issue myself right now. I found an adapted wiper fluid reservoir, but I know I don't have the skillset to cut my bumper and fab a new guard. I also don't have an extra vehicle right now for someone to hold onto my car while they work on fabricating it with a winch beneath. So until then, I'm going to make sure I wheel with friends with heavier rigs in case recovery is needed. I just hope I find a bumper option that works for me before I accidentally rub it hard enough to break the bumper clips beyond repair.

Joshbright

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Hayden, ID, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Bright
Member #

They do, but it isn't nearly as solid as the complete Warn package. I'm not going ahead with the winch option because I am wrestling with the bumper issue myself right now. I found an adapted wiper fluid reservoir, but I know I don't have the skillset to cut my bumper and fab a new guard. I also don't have an extra vehicle right now for someone to hold onto my car while they work on fabricating it with a winch beneath. So until then, I'm going to make sure I wheel with friends with heavier rigs in case recovery is needed. I just hope I find a bumper option that works for me before I accidentally rub it hard enough to break the bumper clips beyond repair.
One thing to keep in mind is that you can buy a brand new replacement bumper off of ebay for like.. 120 bucks. If I were to go this route, i'd order one from ebay and cut that one, and, leave my stock one alone and just swap them around.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

One thing to keep in mind is that you can buy a brand new replacement bumper off of ebay for like.. 120 bucks. If I were to go this route, i'd order one from ebay and cut that one, and, leave my stock one alone and just swap them around.
Very good point, but either way I don't plan on being the one to do the cutting. I have very unsteady hands in general.

Reactions: Joshbright

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

1593636417666.png

1593636673176.png

Times being what they are now, I haven't traveled much this summer this summer. Been doing a lot of gardening though, and the Subaru has pulled like a champ; even with 2 cubic yards of topsoil in a 5'x9' Uhaul, it didn't feel like I lost much power, and the big brakes on the XT handled it very well. I wonder how much that weighed? Rough estimates would put it around the UK Forester XT's capacity of 4400lbs.

1593638146295.png

Also had a chance to finish that new roof rack I designed...

Really happy with how it turned out!

Attachments

Jezus53

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Home
I took off my roof rack and rails last weekend since the rack needed to be painted, and I came across this issue. It looks like my "spirited driving" on the trails might have caused the rail mounting to rub through the paint in all four spots. Has anyone had this happen (2011 Impreza OBS for reference)? Any suggestions to remedy it? The paint on the car is shot anyways (most of those white spots can not be removed) so I'm not looking for a new car look, just something to keep it protected. I'm also considering a rubber gasket of some sort to keep the plastic from the rail mount from rubbing and causing more damage. OR, I can finally get off my lazy butt and make those low profile custom rails I always wanted...

Attachments

Joshbright

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Hayden, ID, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Bright
Member #

I took off my roof rack and rails last weekend since the rack needed to be painted, and I came across this issue. It looks like my "spirited driving" on the trails might have caused the rail mounting to rub through the paint in all four spots. Has anyone had this happen (2011 Impreza OBS for reference)? Any suggestions to remedy it? The paint on the car is shot anyways (most of those white spots can not be removed) so I'm not looking for a new car look, just something to keep it protected. I'm also considering a rubber gasket of some sort to keep the plastic from the rail mount from rubbing and causing more damage. OR, I can finally get off my lazy butt and make those low profile custom rails I always wanted...
I dont know if this is the stuff, but, i've seen people use something like this to attach like, a camera with a magnet attachment base that would go on the car, they just put this stuff on the car first so that the magnet doesn't scratch the paint. 3M Paint Protection Film

Reactions: Baipin

TheHulls

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast I

Rockville, Montgomery County, Maryland, United States
First Name
SarahAndDaniel
Last Name
Hull
Member #

We are glad to see there is an active Subaru community here on Overland Bound. Sarah and I are happy to share our journies with Sigourney (our 13XV), Pearl (our 17XT), and our aging pup Roxy as we see the CONUS and OCONUS locations God has blessed us to visit. We are learning to once again take the time to get out, visit our National Parks, and live a bit more relaxed. We are still primitive campers, by most accounts, as we still use a ground tent, a mostly stock Subaru platform drivers, and practice our care of nature with minimal impact. If you ever see us out, please feel free to say Hi, Roxy will greet you with a wagging tail. Sarah, Roxy, and Daniel

Attachments