Launch Member

Member I

Richmond, MI, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Miller
Member #

That is fantastic. How was the install? Is there a lot of shenanigans under the housing panels? ive wondered what is under the eyesight covers for this same purpose. great work!
It actually wasn’t too bad. There are two bolts under a cover. Once you remove those there are just the standard clips all around it. The eyesight camera system is independent of the rest but there is a bunch of connectors.

IMG_0759.JPG

IMG_0750.JPG

There is probably a good 1/2” to 3/4” inch of space behind where I put mine.

Hobie01

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

El Dorado County, CA, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Hoberman
Member #

It actually wasn’t too bad. There are two bolts under a cover. Once you remove those there are just the standard clips all around it. The eyesight camera system is independent of the rest but there is a bunch of connectors.

View attachment 98554

View attachment 98555

View attachment 98554

View attachment 98555

thanks for that! making me motivated over here.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

thanks for that! making me motivated over here.
That is awesome! I'm not confident enough in my skill set to touch anything anywhere near the Eyesight stuff. I wired all my lights to a control box under the hood that is controlled by a wireless remote. I got it here, on Amazon. The cool thing about the remote is that I was able to program it to the HomeLink buttons on the bottom of the rear view mirror for the ones I use regularly. The first one turns on the four forward facing top mounted lights (my critter spotters when I'm driving into the holler where I live), the second one turns on two rack-mounted rear facing flood lights for backing the trailer up and loading/unloading the boat, and the third one turns off all the accessory lights.

The remote is handy, but most of the time I keep it stored in the console. It looks like this:
It can control up to 8 lights.
(2) max 240w, (2) max 60w, (2) max 42w, (2) max 18w.
I have five of them set up.
Button #1: two rally lights on the bull bar
Button #2: four rally lights on the front of the roof basket
Button #3: port side flood light (basket mounted)
Button #4: starboard side flood light (basket mounted)
Button #5: two rear flood lights (basket mounted)

Hobie01

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Hoberman
Member #

That is awesome! I'm not confident enough in my skill set to touch anything anywhere near the Eyesight stuff. I wired all my lights to a control box under the hood that is controlled by a wireless remote. I got it here, on Amazon. The cool thing about the remote is that I was able to program it to the HomeLink buttons on the bottom of the rear view mirror for the ones I use regularly. The first one turns on the four forward facing top mounted lights (my critter spotters when I'm driving into the holler where I live), the second one turns on two rack-mounted rear facing flood lights for backing the trailer up and loading/unloading the boat, and the third one turns off all the accessory lights.

The remote is handy, but most of the time I keep it stored in the console. It looks like this:
View attachment 98564
This is exactly what i was looking for! thanks a lot! this seems a lot less intense than cutting into my eyesight housing. is there a switch in the car cabin or only accessible via the remote? i dont have the home link but i would like to install a small switch panel in the cabin on the unused spaces near my foresters fuse box.

icestorm

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Richmond, MI, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Miller
Member #

View attachment 98564
That’s really cool. The switchpro can do a Bluetooth control from a phone app as well. One of the big sellers for me was that it has other accessories inputs other than just the ignition being on. I plan to hook one of the inputs to my backup lights and want to put a rear facing light bar on the back of a roof rack. So that way I can either turn it on with a button in the car or it will automatically come on when backing up. The other one I’ll likely hook to the high beams so that it won’t turn on the front facing lights if the high beams are on. You can also do button groupings like that as well.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

This is exactly what i was looking for! thanks a lot! this seems a lot less intense than cutting into my eyesight housing. is there a switch in the car cabin or only accessible via the remote? i dont have the home link but i would like to install a small switch panel in the cabin on the unused spaces near my foresters fuse box.
No, I didn't put any switches inside the cabin of the car. I didn't want to risk messing up that sharp looking touring trim with the dark java brown leather and black dash.
It would probably be pretty easy to do it though.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

That’s really cool. The switchpro can do a Bluetooth control from a phone app as well. One of the big sellers for me was that it has other accessories inputs other than just the ignition being on. I plan to hook one of the inputs to my backup lights and want to put a rear facing light bar on the back of a roof rack. So that way I can either turn it on with a button in the car or it will automatically come on when backing up. The other one I’ll likely hook to the high beams so that it won’t turn on the front facing lights if the high beams are on. You can also do button groupings like that as well.
Yeah, I looked into the switchpro before I went with the wireless controller. Personally, I wouldn't want any accessory lights wired to come on with the other lights automatically. My rig is my daily driver. I don't want to be an asshole blinding people in the grocery store parking lot every time I put it in reverse. I have however, used the rear facing light button to flash a tailgater or two who didn't get the hint that I wasn't going to go any faster.
My car doesn't have to be on for it to work. The remote is handy because you can stick it in your pocket. While camping, being able to turn on a bright light on whichever side of the car I need it on is clutch. If I'm looking for a driveway or a little road after dark, I can turn on the light on either side to see it better. I haven't had any problems with it (but I have only had it for the past 2k miles).

Hobie01

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Hoberman
Member #

yeah the bluetooth may sell me on this and the ability to take non light items is a huge plus. at this point the price is the limiting factor but in the long run i will probably get this system and find the easiest to install lights in the meantime. i have a cb and ham wired in the cab already and id love to offload those to this switch. as well as some other fun things. being able to control the lights and system form my tepui is super useful and a need i didn't realize i had.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Took the car with no name out on mother's day for a little back road exploring, wine tasting and finishing up the day with some fantastic pizza . Still have a slight bit of rubbing on a couple of plastic bits but so far its working fine . hdr_00656_0.jpg

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Took the car with no name out on mother's day for a little back road exploring, wine tasting and finishing up the day with some fantastic pizza . Still have a slight bit of rubbing on a couple of plastic bits but so far its working fine . View attachment 98581
Ya gotta name the rig. It's like a boat. Bad luck without a name.

icestorm

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Richmond, MI, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Miller
Member #

yeah the bluetooth may sell me on this and the ability to take non light items is a huge plus. at this point the price is the limiting factor but in the long run i will probably get this system and find the easiest to install lights in the meantime. i have a cb and ham wired in the cab already and id love to offload those to this switch. as well as some other fun things. being able to control the lights and system form my tepui is super useful and a need i didn't realize i had.
That was my plan as well right now my GMRS is hooked to the wires feeding the accessory plug into the glove box as that is where my radio is. But I know that isn’t the best place to source power or a clean ground from it was more so to get me up and running for next weekends trip. I’m actually installing a 6db gain antenna this weekend as the one that came with it seems to not have the greatest range.

Here’s some photos of the GMRS if anyone is interested in how I mounted it.

Midland MXT275
IMG_0495.JPG
IMG_0493.JPG

Current antenna
IMG_0722.JPG

New antenna
IMG_1600.JPG

carlospalooza

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast I

NE Los Angeles
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

For those Crosstrek owners that may be experiencing poor cvt transmission performance, we just took our '14 Crosstrek Premium in for service to get the transmission looked at. Our problem was described as erratic shifting at low speeds, especially when the AC was on. Basically the transmission did what it wanted to do in terms of choosing between high and low gearing range. It would shift up way too soon causing the car to feel like it was "bogged" down, resulting in reduced power. When needing to pass or accelerate, you'd have to use too much gas pedal to get it to kick down to a lower gear. This has been a sore spot since we've owned it and has always been the, "We love our Crossrtrek accept for the cvt transmission, road noise and radio/navigation" part conversation when talking to others about our Crosstrek. Well after the dealer road tested and looked for codes (none found according to the paper work), they found that the 'Transmission Adaptation was Not Set Correctly". There was no transmission software update found however they cleared the transmission memory and performed a Transmission Relearn. The change in the car since the relearn is like night and day now. The transmission and power delivery is way smoother and we can accelerate with confidence. I'd say the car is almost perfect in terms of driving performance. I really think this should be part of a factory recall since I've heard and read so many bad reviews regarding Subaru's cvt transmissions. Just thought we'd pass this info on to the group.

Last edited:

Kaimana

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bend
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Sur
Member #

For those Crosstrek owners that may be experiencing poor cvt transmission performance, we just took our '14 Crosstrek Premium in for service to get the transmission looked at. Our problem was described as erratic shifting at low speeds, especially when the AC was on. Basically the transmission did what it wanted to do in terms of choosing between high and low gearing range. It would shift up way too soon causing the car to feel like it was "bogged" down, resulting in reduced power. When needing to pass or accelerate, you'd have to use too much gas pedal to get it to kick down to a lower gear. This has been a sore spot since we've owned it and has always been the, "We love our Crossrtrek accept for the cvt transmission, road noise and radio/navigation" part conversation when talking to others about our Crosstrek. Well after the dealer road tested and looked for codes (none found according to the paper work), they found that the 'Transmission Adaptation was Not Set Correctly". There was no transmission software update found however they cleared the transmission memory and performed a Transmission Relearn. The change in the car since the relearn is like night and day now. The transmission and power delivery is way smoother and we can accelerate with confidence. I'd say the car is almost perfect in terms of driving performance. I really think this should be part of a factory recall since I've heard and read so many bad reviews regarding Subaru's cvt transmissions. Just thought we'd pass this info on to the group.
Thanks for the heads up! I’ve got 2014 as well and within the last month I’ve started to notice a shifting issue.

Logan Hall

Rank II

Enthusiast III

So I’m getting a tube bumper built this week similar to a prerunner style (see Toyota picture)

sIMG_3036.JPGIMG_3037.JPG

And I’m going to be cutting my bumper just a bit more to fit it better. I saw this plastic piece (see picture) that seems to be blocking the air intake piece. Seems like it’s blocking airflow. Anyone know if there would be an issue in me removing it?

IMG_2022.JPG

Also I put fender flares on a bit ago but one of my issues with the shaping is, it has to bolt into the bumper to look “normal” I think. But I want to put a rubber gasket on with 3m tape which would mean I’d have to replace it every time I took off the bumper cover. Which I obviously don’t want to do. Any suggestions? See pics

IMG_2022.JPG
IMG_2022.JPG

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

With future plans of putting a snorkel on i found one of these maf plates for putting on a cone filter laying in a cabnet in the garage and there just so happens to be a hole in the fender in the exact spot the plate would fit .For the time being i also opened up the stock intake port to hopefully let a little more air in . 20190529_150516.jpg20190529_153441.jpg

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
And I’m going to be cutting my bumper just a bit more to fit it better. I saw this plastic piece (see picture) that seems to be blocking the air intake piece. Seems like it’s blocking airflow. Anyone know if there would be an issue in me removing it?

View attachment 99295
Looks intentional to help prevent water from getting forced into the air box.

Reactions: Logan Hall

Logan Hall

Rank II

Enthusiast III

I think you’re right on the water prevention. Definitely gonna need that till I build a snorkel lol.

I got my bumper back yesterday from these local guys in Bradenton, FL: MB Fab. Pretty stoked on it but my buddy is going to add light bar tabs and weld on some end caps for me and then I’ll ship it off to be powder coated!

Ordered my roof rack yesterday as well. I’ll be getting the Apex Stingray which is similar to the Rola rack just off amazon. If I ever upgrade to carrying heavy stuff on the roof then I may eventually go with a rhino rack or similar but I’m working on a limited budget and definitely don’t need one of those rn.

I’ve decided to go with the Primitive racing lift over the Rallitek or ADF lift. They seem to put a bit more detail into their components and the overall geometry. And they include springs and shock extensions. All for about $800.