Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Does anyone have an opinion on the Primitive Racing winch mount + WARN Vantage 4000 winch combo? It replaces the bumper beam so it can be hidden behind the front bumper cover to stay low profile. It weighs in at 17 lbs so it won’t sag the front.

The combo from Primitive Racing comes in at $895. Or, I could get the bumper beam mount plate for $465 & then I could find a winch from somewhere else? The site says it is rated to mount up to a 5500lb winch.

Brothers & sisters that ride the dirt behind the Pleiades star cluster - opinions/suggestions??

Logan Hall

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Does anyone have an opinion on the Primitive Racing winch mount + WARN Vantage 4000 winch combo? It replaces the bumper beam so it can be hidden behind the front bumper cover to stay low profile. It weighs in at 17 lbs so it won’t sag the front.

The combo from Primitive Racing comes in at $895. Or, I could get the bumper beam mount plate for $465 & then I could find a winch from somewhere else? The site says it is rated to mount up to a 5500lb winch.

Brothers & sisters that ride the dirt behind the Pleiades star cluster - opinions/suggestions??
I personally wouldn’t feel too good about getting rid of the crash bar and replacing it with a winch. I know a few guys that have had bumpers built to hold a winch.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

I personally wouldn’t feel too good about getting rid of the crash bar and replacing it with a winch. I know a few guys that have had bumpers built to hold a winch.
I don't think it replaces it as much as it bolts onto the front of it. I've seen the custom bumpers built - but I'm trying to keep it as low-profile as I can for now. It's a 2019 model.

Reactions: Logan Hall

Logan Hall

Rank II

Enthusiast III

I don't think it replaces it as much as it bolts onto the front of it. I've seen the custom bumpers built - but I'm trying to keep it as low-profile as I can for now. It's a 2019 model.
I see what you’re saying now. Looks like their mount is pretty strong and will do a good job replacing the crash bar (it does replace it otherwise it wouldn’t fit) they say you will have to cut out the hole where the hook and line will pull through so if you have a dremel, sand paper, and a steady hand, you should be alright. They say they’ll provide a template showing where to cut.

Give em a call. They’re real helpful and pretty easy to talk to.

Reactions: Sasquatch SC

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

so I'm trying a little experiment . most every coil suspension has a rubber bushing in , the top hat of our struts has a rubber bushing in it . Had a chunk of this extreamly tough multi layed rubber that is the same stuff used for those rubber bumpers you see on loading docks that semi trucks back into constantly . Decided to make a spacer much like a lift block used on the strut. Its only 3/8" thick so i diddnt have to modify anything to get it to slip in. so far I have noticed a bit of a drop in road noise and a slight lessening of that rough road feel . going to take it out this weekend and bounce it around some gravel roads to see how it holds up . 20190518_131809.jpg

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Also starting to play around with the idea of making some bumpers. I will probably just do a rear bumper so I have somewhere for a full size spare but who knows I may get around to making a front . 20190531_151105.jpg

Reactions: Logan Hall

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

so I'm trying a little experiment . most every coil suspension has a rubber bushing in , the top hat of our struts has a rubber bushing in it . Had a chunk of this extreamly tough multi layed rubber that is the same stuff used for those rubber bumpers you see on loading docks that semi trucks back into constantly . Decided to make a spacer much like a lift block used on the strut. Its only 3/8" thick so i diddnt have to modify anything to get it to slip in. so far I have noticed a bit of a drop in road noise and a slight lessening of that rough road feel . going to take it out this weekend and bounce it around some gravel roads to see how it holds up . View attachment 101016
My company supplies parts & controls for manufacturing (automation valves, connections, controllers, etc). We use a variety of soft component materials depending on the application for valve seats, seals, o-rings, etc.
Most of those loading dock bumpers are made from cut up scrap tires & banded together or some of the more solid-piece ones are typically made from high-impact resistant PTFE (or similar compound).

I think you are onto something w/ this, but I think you should look more towards an elastomer like EPDM or FKM. A nitrile rubber would be the most ideal bc of it’s oil/corrosive resistant properties, but on this application, I think EPDM would definitely decrease road noise. It has a very high elongation recovery (usually over 150%) & on a durometer it is a shore “a” material.

Just my 2-cents from my experience w/ different rubbers & plastics.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

My company supplies parts & controls for manufacturing (automation valves, connections, controllers, etc). We use a variety of soft component materials depending on the application for valve seats, seals, o-rings, etc.
Most of those loading dock bumpers are made from cut up scrap tires & banded together or some of the more solid-piece ones are typically made from high-impact resistant PTFE (or similar compound).

I think you are onto something w/ this, but I think you should look more towards an elastomer like EPDM or FKM. A nitrile rubber would be the most ideal bc of it’s oil/corrosive resistant properties, but on this application, I think EPDM would definitely decrease road noise. It has a very high elongation recovery (usually over 150%) & on a durometer it is a shore “a” material.

Just my 2-cents from my experience w/ different rubbers & plastics.

This is the style of dock bumper I was talking about. That's why I had that extra chunk of the material is I had to fix ours a couple of times because for some reason truck drivers think it's necessary to put a corner of their trailer against it and help pivot their trailer up to the dock.20190601_124602.jpg

Contributor I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Smith
Hey guys! My name is Nick. I currently drive a pretty much stock 2018 Subaru Crosstrek. Debating on whether to build it out or find a heavier duty platform, body on frame application(SUV or truck). I also currently work for Overland Pro Shop in Colorado Springs, CO.

Here is the Crosstrek in all her unmodded glory hehe:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Baipin and icestorm

icestorm

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Richmond, MI, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Hey guys! My name is Nick. I currently drive a pretty much stock 2018 Subaru Crosstrek. Debating on whether to build it out or find a heavier duty platform, body on frame application(SUV or truck). I also currently work for Overland Pro Shop in Colorado Springs, CO.

Here is the Crosstrek in all her unmodded glory hehe:
View attachment 101127
2019 Crosstrek owner here. Absolutely love my car. I say do the mods.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Baipin

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Went kayaking and it made me realize this is just not the vehicle for me I need something a little bigger sooooo it's going up for sale.View attachment 101213
Get an Ascent!!! I almost bought one instead of my Outback. It's a joke among my friends that I'm a single guy driving a station wagon - it would have been worse if I was driving a 7/8 passenger behemoth.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Get an Ascent!!! I almost bought one instead of my Outback. It's a joke among my friends that I'm a single guy driving a station wagon - it would have been worse if I was driving a 7/8 passenger behemoth.
They are neat but I'm kinda done with new rigs and unibody vehicles . Going back to something with a frame and a transfer case .

Contributor I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Smith
2019 Crosstrek owner here. Absolutely love my car. I say do the mods.
Yeah I'm just kind of torn with voiding warranty with suspension modifications. I'd like to do a 2 inch lift with King springs but the long term reliability of the CVT is suspect and if I have a warranty claim I'm worried dealer won't honor it. Have you modded yours?

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Yeah I'm just kind of torn with voiding warranty with suspension modifications. I'd like to do a 2 inch lift with King springs but the long term reliability of the CVT is suspect and if I have a warranty claim I'm worried dealer won't honor it. Have you modded yours?
The only part of your warranty you will void are the parts you have actually modified/replaced. Everything else will still be covered.

icestorm

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Richmond, MI, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Miller
Member #

I have.

So far I’ve done a LP adventures lift kit that I bought through my dealership as they are a LP reseller and it didn’t cost me any shipping. They offered to install it as well but wanted the same price as the hardware in install costs.

Then added Black Rhino Boxers with BFG KO2s 235/75r15s

IMG_1230.JPG

So far the only issues I’ve had were 2 loose bolts on the rear sway bar brackets. Mind you it was the factory bracket even and not the extension you add to it. I suspect that when we put it all back together we may have not hit those bolts with the torque wrench. Granted the bigger issue was that it happened while in the middle of the Ouachita forest in Arkansas and the factory jack wouldn’t go tall enough. Luckily it was on the side with the tow hook point and we were able to use my buddy’s high jack through a bracket he had to lift off a recovery point for his Jeep.

I’ve also done a GMRS radio in the center cubby. And antenna on the hatch.

IMG_0495.JPG
IMG_1600.JPG

A Garmin action cam and blend mount for capturing video on the trail.

IMG_1378.JPG

Additional lighting in the hatch since the factory light sucks back there.

IMG_1633.JPG
IMG_1632.JPG

I also added a Switch Pros aux switch panel to the eyesight housing. The module hasn’t been mounted yet till I get the light bar but since I was running the wire for the dash cam figured I would do this at the same time.

IMG_1262.JPG

I also added a tablet on some magnetic phone mounts for gps.

Up next is the roof rack, light bar, and then plan to do the lp bumper guard and under plating. As well as the lp rock sliders.

Sorry this got a bit long as I was typing it.

Last edited:

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Some dealerships will warranty ANYTHING and others will try to deny a claim if you’ve made ANY changes to the car. We all wish we could deal with the first but ultimately they have to explain how the changes you’ve made caused something to fail.

Unless you plan to run heavy all the time I’d advise against King springs. Most people are perfectly content with a spacer lift but if you really want springs I’d recommend Rallitek since they have a lower spring rate than King but you’ll still want to run a good amount of additional weight every day.

As far as the CVT goes... if you plan to push the car you should add a well thought out aftermarket trans cooler and/or more frequent CVT flushes.

Last edited:

Logan Hall

Rank II

Enthusiast III

I have.

So far I’ve done a LP adventures lift kit that I bought through my dealership as they are a LP reseller and it didn’t cost me any shipping. They offered to install it as well but wanted the same price as the hardware in install costs.

Then added Black Rhino Boxers with BFG KO2s 235/75r15s

View attachment 101860

So far the only issues I’ve had were 2 loose bolts on the rear sway bar brackets. Mind you it was the factory bracket even and not the extension you add to it. I suspect that when we put it all back together we may have not hit those bolts with the torque wrench. Granted the bigger issue was that it happened while in the middle of the Ouachita forest in Arkansas and the factory jack wouldn’t go tall enough. Luckily it was on the side with the tow hook point and we were able to use my buddy’s high jack through a bracket he had to lift off a recovery point for his Jeep.

I’ve also done a GMRS radio in the center cubby. And antenna on the hatch.

View attachment 101863
View attachment 101866

A Garmin action cam and blend mount for capturing video on the trail.

View attachment 101865

Additional lighting in the hatch since the factory light sucks back there.

View attachment 101867
View attachment 101868

I also added a Switch Pros aux switch panel to the eyesight housing. The module hasn’t been mounted yet till I get the light bar but since I was running the wire for the dash cam figured I would do this at the same time.

View attachment 101869

I also added a tablet on some magnetic phone mounts for gps.

View attachment 101870

View attachment 101871

Up next is the roof rack, light bar, and then plan to do the lp bumper guard and under plating. As well as the lp rock sliders.

Sorry this got a bit long as I was typing it.
Killer build [emoji108][emoji108][emoji108] I like the little details you added. How’d you mount those extra rear hatch lights? Or did you just upgrade bulbs?

Reactions: Sasquatch SC