Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

View attachment 95432
I want to lift this Legacy GT to the high in pic below. Any suggestions welcome. Thank you

View attachment 95433
Uh... is that a GT Spec B? Manual perhaps?

I’m all for overlanding, but I had a ‘09 Legacy GT Spec B sedan & it would be sacrilegious to do that to what is essentially a WRX for grownups.

Hulk

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary, AB
First Name
Al
Last Name
Bruno
Member #

Uh... is that a GT Spec B? Manual perhaps?

I’m all for overlanding, but I had a ‘09 Legacy GT Spec B sedan & it would be sacrilegious to do that to what is essentially a WRX for grownups.
This one isn’t spec-B it has EJ255 same as STI and yes it’s manual
But I will still going to do it I mean lift it

Reactions: Ricky-Bobbi

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

This one isn’t spec-B it has EJ255 same as STI and yes it’s manual
If you weren’t in Canada I’d make you an offer on it. I really can’t get behind doing any off-road mods to a car like that. Those things are awesome street cars. Quick & definitely sleeper status. If you wanted to do a build on a Subie, I would sell that 1 & pick up 1 that isn’t so rare.

The 1 in the picture you referenced is sitting on what looks to be some super serious suspension mods.

I have 2” spacers w/ Bilstein struts, RalliTek springs, & RalliTek Adjustable front end links & I don’t think mine sits anywhere near as tall as that example appears to be.

That is probably something like a 4” lift, molded wheel arches, spacers, completely new strut tower assembly & a Rally Innovations rally bar. It can be done, but you’d pretty much have to replace every suspension component to achieve it & then you’d have a lot of work to do to get it to work with the rest of the car.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

If you weren’t in Canada I’d make you an offer on it. I really can’t get behind doing any off-road mods to a car like that. Those things are awesome street cars. Quick & definitely sleeper status. If you wanted to do a build on a Subie, I would sell that 1 & pick up 1 that isn’t so rare.

The 1 in the picture you referenced is sitting on what looks to be some super serious suspension mods.

I have 2” spacers w/ Bilstein struts, RalliTek springs, & RalliTek Adjustable front end links & I don’t think mine sits anywhere near as tall as that example appears to be.

That is probably something like a 4” lift, molded wheel arches, spacers, completely new strut tower assembly & a Rally Innovations rally bar. It can be done, but you’d pretty much have to replace every suspension component to achieve it & then you’d have a lot of work to do to get it to work with the rest of the car.
This is all just my opinion - you do you brother - I’m not a mechanic or anything, but to get to where that 1 is sitting would be obscenely expensive.

Hulk

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary, AB
First Name
Al
Last Name
Bruno
Member #

My Legacy GT sits on Bilstein shocks and swift springs (best GT spec-B struts system worth ~$800-1000) and it has adjustable sway bar links. It is locked solid to the roads while cornering. After I will lift it I will sell that suspension. As for engine upgrades it has tons of upgrades (intercooler, 18g turbo, up and down pipe, cobb stage 2+ tune, cobb air intake etc) it makes ~350 bhp. My point is to have a sleeper lifted overland rig. I am a mechanic myself and coming from racing industry. I always liked lowered cars and had lots throughout my life but at this point of life I want to have powerfull overland rig. That’s the whole point, lots of horse power and capable to go off-road. I don’t want to loose fast car performance and that’s what I am used to. I am used to lowering cars but not lifting that’s why need more info. ;-)

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

you will loose some of that fast car performance with the increased weight and size off offroad tires and a big decrease in cornering ability with lifted the suspension. Check out ADF for lift kits .

Reactions: Hulk

Hulk

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary, AB
First Name
Al
Last Name
Bruno
Member #

you will loose some of that fast car performance with the increased weight and size off offroad tires and a big decrease in cornering ability with lifted the suspension. Check out ADF for lift kits .
I have been looking in those already and considering them as the best option

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

well with a whole lot of massaging of the inner fender and pinch weld , some plastic trimming and remolding I got the 235s squeezed on . Still need to do a bit of rolling to the rear fenders but for the most part they fit with minimal rubbingView attachment 96044
View attachment 96045
Looks good! I am very afraid of body work. I just got a rally light bar from Rally Innovations in today. I have to take the front bumper cover off to install it. I’m worried about the task. Right now, other than my Subie - I only have my Zero motorcycle (which is great, but it’s electric, so range could be problematic) or my old 84 Dodge D350 single cab dually 2wd. It’s just meant for towing horse trailer’s or a tractor as needed. I know it needs new glow plugs & probably the transmission checked before I try going anywhere w/ it. I was being a cheap ass last fall clutch starting it instead of finally replacing the starter.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Looks good! I am very afraid of body work. I just got a rally light bar from Rally Innovations in today. I have to take the front bumper cover off to install it. I’m worried about the task. Right now, other than my Subie - I only have my Zero motorcycle (which is great, but it’s electric, so range could be problematic) or my old 84 Dodge D350 single cab dually 2wd. It’s just meant for towing horse trailer’s or a tractor as needed. I know it needs new glow plugs & probably the transmission checked before I try going anywhere w/ it. I was being a cheap ass last fall clutch starting it instead of finally replacing the starter.
Do yourself a favor and Order up some of the body clips that are used to hold on the bumper, they are plastic and no matter how gentle you are with them over time plastic becomes brittle and you'll probably break a few make the reassembly a lot easier

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Do yourself a favor and Order up some of the body clips that are used to hold on the bumper, they are plastic and no matter how gentle you are with them over time plastic becomes brittle and you'll probably break a few make the reassembly a lot easier
You think they'd be brittle already? The VIN plate says it just came out of assembly this past November?

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
You think they'd be brittle already? The VIN plate says it just came out of assembly this past November?
It’s a super simple task. Have a blanket handy to set the bumper cover on and you’ll have it off in less than 10 minutes. Even after 4 years even the clips in the worst possible locations still come out easy enough and go right back in.

9E590AE5-A04B-4C82-A4A5-0A5300A2CB6F.jpegA61B594A-CCF5-4C48-97B3-9B7D5C631441.jpeg

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

It’s a super simple task. Have a blanket handy to set the bumper cover on and you’ll have it off in less than 10 minutes. Even after 4 years even the clips in the worst possible locations still come out easy enough and go right back in.

View attachment 96102View attachment 96103
Nice. I’m planning on putting a hidden winch on from Primitive Racing on, but that’s gonna have to wait a while still & I’m going to have a pro do that job. Friday’s weather is going to skunk me for fishing so I’ll give it a shot after work when I can borrow the warehouse. I may hit you up if I have any issues. I watched a video of someone taking off the cover on a wrx, but it’s reassuring to know it’s simple enough. Thanks!

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Nice. I’m planning on putting a hidden winch on from Primitive Racing on, but that’s gonna have to wait a while still & I’m going to have a pro do that job. Friday’s weather is going to skunk me for fishing so I’ll give it a shot after work when I can borrow the warehouse. I may hit you up if I have any issues. I watched a video of someone taking off the cover on a wrx, but it’s reassuring to know it’s simple enough. Thanks!
No problem! Even though it’s not the same years the bumper cover is essentially the same. It’ll take longer to watch the video than it will to do the task haha.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

oh sorry I didn't know it was new no they should be fine but still wouldn't hurt to have an extra couple of fasteners laying around. You never know when you might need one