Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I have a 2014 Crosstrek currently all stock. I wanted to maximize tire size with the stock 17” rims. A 1.5 to 2” lift is in the near future and I’m ready for new tires but not quite ready for the lift. Does anyone think I could fit 225/65/17’s with the stock set up? If not how tall do you think I could go 60’s??? I’m sure this may have previously need covered in the many replies on this thread but I though I’d ask for a quick answer. Thanks all!
I believe the largest tire you can run stock is 225/60 17. Most people I know who go off road with their Crosstrek usually step down the wheel size to 16 or even 15 with the right type of wheel. Food for thought.

Black Rhino Rumbles 17”x8”
Falken Tire 245/65R17

Had to do some trimming and there’s a slight rub at 1 angle on the right side that should go away with the 2” ADF lift coming sooooon.
Unfortunately lifting has no real impact on what fits and what doesn’t when it comes to the 5th gen. What rubs at stock height still rubs at 3.25” from my experience. A lift will have in impact on on wheel placement in the wheel well since the higher you lift the more the wheels will get pulled in due to the LCA’s.

Last edited:

iamthejoel

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Tampa, FL, USA
Member #

I believe the largest tire you can run stock is 225/60 17. Most people I know who go off road with their Crosstrek usually step down the wheel size to 16 or even 15 with the right type of wheel. Food for thought.

Unfortunately lifting has no real impact on what fits and what doesn’t when it comes to the 5th gen. What rubs at stock height still rubs at 3.25” from my experience. A lift will have in impact on on wheel placement in the wheel well since the higher you lift the more the wheels will get pulled in due to the LCA’s.
Makes sense! I’m lifting for more clearance ultimately, but was hoping it might help haha. I probably just need to do some more trimming on the right side cause I have no rub on the left.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Handed my 2000 Ranger to a friend and picked up a 2019 Forester. So much fun. Can't wait to rack up the miles! Rancho Seco Nuclear facility in the background.
Congrats on your new Subaru! Look forward to seeing your adventures. Cool choice for a background btw.

Makes sense! I’m lifting for more clearance ultimately, but was hoping it might help haha. I probably just need to do some more trimming on the right side cause I have no rub on the left.
I’ve been trimming for a couple years and it still rubs a little haha!

Hobie01

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

El Dorado County, CA, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Hoberman
Member #

Congrats on your new Subaru! Look forward to seeing your adventures. Cool choice for a background btw.

thanks! it was a fun trip. i live near there. going back when its sunny. heres another.

Attachments

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

So many roo's on this thread! :hearteyes:

I'm surprised I went without owning a Subaru until 2018, what with the rally racing stuff I play around in, but here's my pile of parts that I'm looking forward to trying even more harebrained ideas on this year:

PAfozzy

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Ephrata, PA, USA
Member #

New owner of this well maintained 2014 Forester XT Touring. Mostly stock, I believe the last owner added Hella horns, roof basket and Morimoto LED headlights. Due to income constraints and the high cost of tuition, I don't plan on going crazy with this vehicle but I plan on switching to 17" rims and going up to 235's for more sidewall, Primitive underbody armor and lift it plus miscellaneous lighting upgrades, storage ideas for overlanding and DIY awning when I get time.

Very impressed with this vehicle in 5" of fresh snow and the X-mode hill descent, while a bit unnerving, is really impressive.

Logan Hall

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Hey guys, I own a 2010 Outback. Took it on a 8,600 mile trip around the states nearly bone stock. I’m wanting to definitely set it up to better handle some of the trails and dirt roads we went through.

So far I’ve put slightly bigger Hankook A/T on it, mud flaps, window rain guards, and I put a new bumper cover on. I’ve cut short to add an aftermarket tube bumper once I figure out build priorities and budgeting.

I’ve found this gen seems it will need a bit more research and custom work done than others, but I’m excited for it!

I joined a while back but haven’t been active so I haven’t started a build thread yet. I look forward to learning a lot!
IMG_2057.JPGIMG_1214.JPGIMG_2841.JPGIMG_2842.JPG

Logan Hall

Rank II

Enthusiast III

So many roo's on this thread! :hearteyes:

I'm surprised I went without owning a Subaru until 2018, what with the rally racing stuff I play around in, but here's my pile of parts that I'm looking forward to trying even more harebrained ideas on this year:

I love this build! This is the gen that made me fall in love with the Outback. I wish I could have found one with decent miles and not outrageously overprice. Unfortunately my deal was too good to pass up. 2010 outback with a little under 30k. One owner who bought it new when he was 85 and kept it garaged most of the time. Only spent $10,500 on it

Reactions: Tinker

Costa

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mountain House, CA
First Name
Costa
Last Name
Etlender
Member #

Hi all,

Sold the old Trooper couple of months ago to combine camping\overlanding rig with a commuter and Voilà:

2019 Forester Sport.
So far so good, a bit disappointed from the tires it comes with, Falken ZEIX ZE001 which look like 100% street tire and the tread doesn't look like it should do well in snow but I guess we'll find out next winter. On the road, it seems to perform pretty well, quiet and comfortable.

No plans for significant upgrades in the near future, a hitch receiver is on the way but other than that not much to make sure the dealer doesn't blame me for any issues which might come up in a new vehicle and mostly new model.

Traveler I

Hey guys, I own a 2010 Outback. Took it on a 8,600 mile trip around the states nearly bone stock. I’m wanting to definitely set it up to better handle some of the trails and dirt roads we went through.

So far I’ve put slightly bigger Hankook A/T on it, mud flaps, window rain guards, and I put a new bumper cover on. I’ve cut short to add an aftermarket tube bumper once I figure out build priorities and budgeting.

I’ve found this gen seems it will need a bit more research and custom work done than others, but I’m excited for it!

I joined a while back but haven’t been active so I haven’t started a build thread yet. I look forward to learning a lot!
View attachment 88567View attachment 88568View attachment 88569View attachment 88570
New bumper cover?... is that why the one pic looks like the lower part of the front is missing? That looks like it would actually improve your approach angle a lot; it that the goal?

Logan Hall

Rank II

Enthusiast III

New bumper cover?... is that why the one pic looks like the lower part of the front is missing? That looks like it would actually improve your approach angle a lot; it that the goal?
Yea ordered one off eBay for like 80 bucks. Took a dremel to it. When the budget allows, I’m getting a custom minimalist tube bumper with a fixed prerunner style skid plate. And yes it helps tremendously with approach

Reactions: Stillmakinmusic

Carnivore

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Blue Quill, Edmonton, AB, Canada
First Name
JPD
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
Infantry vet. 88-03
I have a 2014 Crosstrek currently all stock. I wanted to maximize tire size with the stock 17” rims. A 1.5 to 2” lift is in the near future and I’m ready for new tires but not quite ready for the lift. Does anyone think I could fit 225/65/17’s with the stock set up? If not how tall do you think I could go 60’s??? I’m sure this may have previously need covered in the many replies on this thread but I though I’d ask for a quick answer. Thanks all!
I just got a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S tires on stock wheels on our 2013. 215/65R17 with only minimal trimming of the plastic in front of the rear tires. No lift yet (it's still in the mail system somewhere). About 3/8" clearance in front now without any lift...
20190317_152405.jpg20190317_152341.jpg

Last edited:

TravelingDog

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Chicago, Illinois
Member #

There are so many inspiring builds here! I thought I would post where I am now. These are from last summer so they show my 2016 Outback pulling the teardrop camper I built. Now the Outback is updated with a ADF lift (2" front, 2 3/8" rear), Primitive skid plate, 235/60r18 Yokohama Geolander tires. My dog and I are going exploring for a couple months with this setup. I'm thinking to do the trans Wisconsin trail and then meander my way over to SD and take parts of the trans America trail - maybe to the Pacific. With the trailer only on 12" wheels, I might leave it at a base camp while I explore.

Attachments