Show Me Your Chuckboxes/Camp Kitchen Setups

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

TheRubiconLife

Rank II

Contributor III

Augusta, GA
Member #

I spent some money and a weekend building a nice chuck box like I remembered from Boy Scouts and used it a couple times before realizing it was way too heavy and took up too much space. I bought two of these tailgaterz from amazon, 1 for kitchen stuff and 1 for general camping stuff like headlamps, bug spray, etc. I just toss them in a tote with the stove, pots and pans and fuel and unroll and hang them on the side of the truck. It’s worked out way better for me. Cheaper, lighter and more organized and easy to use. I now can fit pretty much all camping gear into one tote and dry food in another with cold stuff in the fridge and a small yeti with beers and cocktail ice. I got a narrow plastic fold up table from Costco that everything sits on in the bed while traveling.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I love the Tailgaterz idea.

Tom (Steel Industries)

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Vacaville, CA 95687, USA
Member #

I spent some money and a weekend building a nice chuck box like I remembered from Boy Scouts and used it a couple times before realizing it was way too heavy and took up too much space. I bought two of these tailgaterz from amazon, 1 for kitchen stuff and 1 for general camping stuff like headlamps, bug spray, etc. I just toss them in a tote with the stove, pots and pans and fuel and unroll and hang them on the side of the truck. It’s worked out way better for me. Cheaper, lighter and more organized and easy to use. I now can fit pretty much all camping gear into one tote and dry food in another with cold stuff in the fridge and a small yeti with beers and cocktail ice. I got a narrow plastic fold up table from Costco that everything sits on in the bed while traveling.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Nice! I was looking at getting a couple of those TailGaterz. Nice to see someone else using them. I may just have to buy them now

Reactions: SgtMac

Rich Faller

Rank 0

Traveler I

Durango
Member #

I also use the Home Depot/Ridgid boxes for my camp cooking setup, but mine is organized just a little differently. I use the bottom crate and the small toolbox on top. in the toolbox I keep all my cooking tools like knives, spatulas, utensils, cutting board, as well as seasonings, lighter/matches, a spare pocket knife, a fresh general purpose rag, napkins, mini lantern and paracord to hang it, etc. In the bottom crate, I keep a Stanley Base Camp cook set, propane bottles, a large mixing bowl, a full 10L MSR water dromedary, and my backpacking mess kit as a spare for day trips and the like. When stacked together, it turns out the crate and small toolbox are the PERFECT height to just barely clear the rear tailgate bar for Jeep JK soft tops, meaning I don't have to load this stack separately, at a weird angle, or by partially removing the back portion of the soft top to load it.
The Stanely Basecamp cook set is fantastic because the bottoms of the pot and the pan are super heavy clad, and they heat extremely evenly for a compact cook set, and within the whole package is a cutting board and strainer, 4 bowls, 4 plates, utensils, and a serving spoon and spatula, all within the pot. Also, the MSR dromedaries I find to be much more user friendly and practical than using hard sided water containers. You can hang them by a tree and use the 3 different pouring options included in the one cap, and being a soft container, they can conform to various different packing systems, and allow for a more modular water storage system, meaning if one somehow breaks (and in the years I've used them I've never had one even leak) you aren't losing 5 gallons of your precious water, plus storing your water on the interior of the vehicle means it is not as exposed to the elements as exterior mounted hard containers, so they won't get hot or freeze. Lastly, they are lighter and more compact than hard containers when they are empty or even partially full. once empty, they simply roll up and get stashed wherever you choose, and in a 2 door Jeep, that kind of space savings is crucial

Attachments

Reactions: desl and SgtMac