Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Glen Burnie, Maryland
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Ogle
Member #

I spent some money and a weekend building a nice chuck box like I remembered from Boy Scouts and used it a couple times before realizing it was way too heavy and took up too much space. I bought two of these tailgaterz from amazon, 1 for kitchen stuff and 1 for general camping stuff like headlamps, bug spray, etc. I just toss them in a tote with the stove, pots and pans and fuel and unroll and hang them on the side of the truck. It’s worked out way better for me. Cheaper, lighter and more organized and easy to use. I now can fit pretty much all camping gear into one tote and dry food in another with cold stuff in the fridge and a small yeti with beers and cocktail ice. I got a narrow plastic fold up table from Costco that everything sits on in the bed while traveling.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I like the idea of the tailgaterz storage. Amazon must be out because I don’t see them currently.

Reactions: T-88 and IronPappy

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Here's my camp kitchen set up a couple different ways.

First image is the way I typically set up things for stays of more than one night.

From the left:
- Tall aluminum case with supplies. No food really, but bags, containers, matches, other typical kitchen stuff.
- Short case with jars and canned goods and soft packaged food
Both cases are bear-resistant and stay loaded all the time, ready to go, because they have no perishables. They're sitting on ammo boxes that contain non-kitchen goods.
- Partner 22" propane stove, sitting on my Beaver Tree Camp Kitchen. These sit on the left end of a galley table that hooks to the side of my camping trailer, as seen in the second image.

roaddude_partnerstove22-3713.jpg

I keep my fridge/freezer and fresh food right inside the back doors to my van. You can see the van door at left edge of the image above. The van ended up being the most logical spot to keep the fridge and fits right into the work flow for cooking, being right at the beginning. Keeping the fridge in the van also allows me to keep cold drinks and food with me when away from base camp, and keeps all perishables and food that may attract animals inside my vehicle.

As you can see in the image below, there's over five feet or counter space to the right of the stove and includes a sink with hot & cold water.

roaddude_xv2-galley_bigbend-0802.jpg

You can see the Beaver Tree Camp Kitchen better in the images above and below. I love this thing, even though plastic. It holds all the stuff I want closer to the stove and galley table. Even has a good-sized utensil drawer in the left section.

I can keep the stove in place and still close the lid to the Beaver Tree. There's even enough room to hold the propane hose, a long griddle, a couple skillets and other miscellaneous stuff and still close the lid securely. This too stays packed all the time and ready to go on the next adventure.

Both aluminum cases and the Beaver Tree stay right inside the tailgate of the trailer when rolling and are the first things to come out after the galley table is set up. Everything I need all in one place. SO handy and convenient.

roaddude_partnerstove22-0646.jpg

This last image shows my quick kitchen on the tailgate of my camping trailer. I set up like this when stopping for just an hour or two and want to cook something up. Just open the tailgate and swing them out.

As with everything, I'm sure this set up will evolve further. I keep tweaking the arrangement to be more efficient and easier to set up, whether for solo-camping or small groups of 4-6 people.

Last edited:

Corey

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Auburn, WA.
Member #

Strange, the forum is not letting my Amazon links show :rage:

Just search on Amazon for
InterDesign Axis Over the Cabinet Paper Towel Holder, Chrome

Reactions: KSTrekker

Corey

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Auburn, WA.
Member #

Thanks! I thought that might be the one you used, but wanted to confirm.
You are welcome.
This is the first time I have seen the forum reject an Amazon link too, not any of the text showed up.
I will try and post it below here to see if it is working now.

IronPappy

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Huntsville, AL
Member #

I love these ideas, thanks for all the experienced advice. I'm thinking of building my own permanent cabinets in the XJ...still researching.

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

Finally finished the kitchen remodel and took it for a 7 day, 1500 mile test drive. First change was to the refrigerator where I switched to a Tembo Tusk slide. I had a bracket fabricated to hold a Frontrunner fold down table. This is great for quick lunches or heating up water with the JetBoil. Just nice to have a easily accessible flat surface to prepare a quick lunch.

CoolerTable.jpg

I then designed a slide system around my Partner Steel Stove. I wanted more counter space, a small drawer for utensils, a pantry drawer for cans, spices, etc. Zarges cases or a pelican case hold pots, pans, misc. kitchen stuff on top of the kitchen when traveling, leaving good visibility out the back when driving. Dry goods travel in a Zarges case midships in the 4Runner.

kitchen2368.jpg

A small wire tray holds a lighter and can opener...foam matting keeps the rattles down in the tray and drawers. TrekPak dividers keep stuff organized in the pantry drawer.

Kitchen2370.jpg

Under the stove is a 18" drawer for utensils.... All of the slides are locking and can be used independently. You can pull out the cutting board/counter to use alone, or the stove alone, or pull them both out at the same time. Pull out the utensil drawer and you need to add a red flag for a long load.....

Kitchen2371.jpg

A WaterPort supplies water for cleaning dishes...All sits on top of my TruckVault and is securely bolted down to the 4runner.

CampKitchen.jpg

I designed the kitchen myself and had Steel Feathers Welding in Oregon City build this prototype. I have a few small changes to make on the next one to make it easier to build and maybe add a few new features I've been thinking of, but for now I need to put a few more trips on it and just use it. So far it is perfect for my needs. Easy to deploy. Plenty of counter space. Doesn't rattle. Keeps the stove, utensils and a few food items close and easy to get to. Easy to clean up and put away.

Joseph Solin

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Orlando, Orange County, Florida, United States
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Solin
Member #

Finally finished the kitchen remodel and took it for a 7 day, 1500 mile test drive. First change was to the refrigerator where I switched to a Tembo Tusk slide. I had a bracket fabricated to hold a Frontrunner fold down table. This is great for quick lunches or heating up water with the JetBoil. Just nice to have a easily accessible flat surface to prepare a quick lunch.

View attachment 51246

I then designed a slide system around my Partner Steel Stove. I wanted more counter space, a small drawer for utensils, a pantry drawer for cans, spices, etc. Zarges cases or a pelican case hold pots, pans, misc. kitchen stuff on top of the kitchen when traveling, leaving good visibility out the back when driving. Dry goods travel in a Zarges case midships in the 4Runner.

View attachment 51249

A small wire tray holds a lighter and can opener...foam matting keeps the rattles down in the tray and drawers. TrekPak dividers keep stuff organized in the pantry drawer.

View attachment 51250

Under the stove is a 18" drawer for utensils.... All of the slides are locking and can be used independently. You can pull out the cutting board/counter to use alone, or the stove alone, or pull them both out at the same time. Pull out the utensil drawer and you need to add a red flag for a long load.....

View attachment 51252

A WaterPort supplies water for cleaning dishes...All sits on top of my TruckVault and is securely bolted down to the 4runner.

View attachment 51253

I designed the kitchen myself and had Steel Feathers Welding in Oregon City build this prototype. I have a few small changes to make on the next one to make it easier to build and maybe add a few new features I've been thinking of, but for now I need to put a few more trips on it and just use it. So far it is perfect for my needs. Easy to deploy. Plenty of counter space. Doesn't rattle. Keeps the stove, utensils and a few food items close and easy to get to. Easy to clean up and put away.
Beautiful!!! Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: NWNavigator

Terex

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Taos, NM
Having a trailer is kind of cheating, but my wife is a great camp chef and designed our trailer kitchen with a large fridge freezer, microwave, Vitamix blender, etc. This is at a beautiful campground north of Taos where we could invite guests, but we can cook like this anywhere, and have. The fresh chanterelle pasta was made with chanterelles picked in the mountains behind the trailer at 10,000'. IMG_0867.JPG IMG_0865.JPG IMG_0858.JPG

fj.adventure

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Sparta WI
Member #

I’m in the process of setting up my first overlander and I don’t have a whole lot of space (dog will be using the back seat) so you guys have taught me the importantse of slides and storage some of these are absolutely amazing