Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
I think this might be your best bet if wanting the old military trailer look. I still don't really know the difference between the two (I've never asked them).

You still need to get a suspension for it (not too expensive), and an axle. Springs are easy to find (I think they originally used WWII Jeep front springs), and you can get them in a stock height, or a lifted height. Getting an axle isn't a bad thing; you can get one to your exact specs (width, bolt pattern, with/without brakes, etc.).

They also sell just the tub:

These tubs measure essentially 40" wide by 72" long.

One thing about these military tubs (repro's or originals) is that they aren't that tall (about 18"). A lot of folks go to great lengths (and expense) to get a lid made for them.

I had my tub made by Diamond Deluxe, and the tub they built me was about 27" tall, with a hinged lockable lid to my specs.. It was made out of aluminum diamond plate. For the frame I used a modified Harbor Freight frame.

Link:
You might get lucky finding an old military trailer reasonably priced and in good shape, but if you find one cheap, a lot of time you're dealing with rust, and you still generally will be swapping out the springs, axle, and rewiring it. Costs will add-up.

Before you go spending a lot of time and money on a trailer, read this thread. It is a long read, but when you're done, you should be able to build your own little trailer for a lot less than it would cost to buy one already made. And it will be made to your specs and needs. Don't think a trailer built off a HF frame isn't tough-enough. Mine has lots of thousands of miles on it, and a lot of that was overlanding.

trailer specs - Copy (2).pngTrailer plans.1 - Copy.jpgWillys and trailer.4 (2).jpgOverland Adventure.1 (2).jpgOverland Adventure.2.jpgOverland adventure.10.jpg

Last edited:

Old Griz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Idaho
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Clisham
Member #

Here's a link to a place in Texas that has a great selection of different military trailers.

They have all sorts of military vehicles all the way up to 5 tons as well.

Reactions: Boppa's Travels

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

I live in Canada, specifically the Atlantic Region, anything closer to me? I really like the Tub you pointed out and it is reasonably priced IMO; what size Harbour Freight Trailer did you use to mount it? We have Northern Tool at the local Cost-Co and I think Iron Ton or something like that. We did end up buying the MDX yesterday so a trailer for next year would be really helpful. I also found an awesome 2012 MDX build I am hoping to borrow knowledge from; likely only do the lift, tires, and a skid plate. Are those trailer frame kits highway capable and how can I tell?

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
I used one of the 4' trailer frames for mine. However, it is easy enough to cut down one of the 4' x 8' trailer frames to the exact size you need/want. Northern tool sells a very similar trailer frame. Those "C" channel frames are quite sturdy. And yes; they're perfectly highway capable. I've cruised along at 70mph for hours on end with no issues. The larger diameter the tires, the slower the bearings are spinning.

The short slipper springs that come with those types of trailers are extremely stiff; too stiff in my opinion. It is easy enough to swap them out for longer springs with a shackle at the end. The axle can go above or below the springs.

I swapped my axle out for a 3500lb axle with electric brakes.

If you read the link I provided earlier, it will tell you everything you need to know to build one of these little trailers. There are also links to other trailer builds, and on narrowing/shortening one of those 4' x 8' trailer frames, swapping out the suspension, adding a tray up front, lengthening the tongue, etc.Trailer suspension mounted up.1.JPG

Reactions: Veinot

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

If you read the link I provided earlier, it will tell you everything you need to know to build one of these little trailers. There are also links to other trailer builds, and on narrowing/shortening one of those 4' x 8' trailer frames, swapping out the suspension, adding a tray up front, lengthening the tongue, etc.
Yeah I seen the link after my post lol

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Here is my current setup a Unimog trailer. It is all original basically an overbuilt 4x8 trailer. I cant wait to get some feedback and ideas on how to make this my very capable overlanding setup
Really really neat. I think the trailer needs the same size tires as the Unimog though, otherwise I'd go with it as is. Cool rig.

lifenajeep

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

French Settlement Louisiana
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Losh
Member #

Oklamopar

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midwest City, OK, USA
First Name
Lester
Last Name
Kono
Member #

I purchased Acorn back in May of 2020. Wife and I have pulled this thing close to 2000 miles. most off road. Its been great. Not sure of the manufacture. Going out this weekend, Hope to get some nice pictures and videos.

Attachments

WilhelmB

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

12 Grandview Drive, Redbank Plains Queensland, Australia
First Name
Will
Last Name
Beaver
Member #

our first towing trip was a 6x4 behind an 84 Subaru DL wagon over 30 years ago. had a few different combinations since then. This is our current set up have had the trailer since 2017 and have travelled over 20000 miles in that time many of those on rough outback roads. pros: comfort, king size innerspring bed, hot water system, plenty of storage ( although I fill it with too much stuff), can be set up ready to sleep in less than 5 minutes , we can live in it "off grid" for months or until the food and water runs out and its built solid, full steel construction and quality fittings. cons: its heavy 3500 pounds fully packed ( nearly 500 just water ), dimensions ( its a big beast ).
you cant go rock crawling with it on but we have taken it over some very rough terrain. we tend to set up camp and then go exploring.
IMG_5991.jpg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I love all the rigs shown here but I chose the cheap way to do it. $2450.00 brand new !
Yes I have few things to do to it as it will be my sleeping quarters but I dont plan to spend a bunch, Maybe an extra grand.

I know the pictures make it look big but it's about the same size as a tear drop. In height and length, it just has more volumn and built with metal tube frame.
Windows and door are easy to install yourself the same as with any DYI project.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bri4Runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Waco, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Dooley
Member #

Our homebuilt trailer from an old vet box that was normally fitted for a pick up truck. Still a work in progress :) Has a cargo area in the front section with 4 drawers in the rear with a tailgate. 12V power source built in tongue box with interior and exterior spot lights. Will replace the pull out grill with something more suitable for camping (the Coleman was set up for a quick weekend trip test run).

I've been taking photo's of the build and plan on adding to the trailer DIY section. I'll update this post once I have them uploaded

IMG_0912 copy 2.JPGIMG_0839.JPGIMG_0842.JPG

Last edited: