Rank II

Enthusiast II

St. Louis, MO, USA
First Name
Gregg
Last Name
M
@PA Chuck D

The Timbren 3500HD can only be used with a 6 lug hub & 12" brakes. These are actually a 6000 lb axle.

The 3500 will be able to use a 5 lug with 10" brakes. These are a 3500 lb axle, and are 2" narrower than the HD version.

Running wheel adapters to make the 6 lug work on a 5 lug will increase the width by another 2", but if you can live with space adapters, and the extra width, you can use the same wheel as your tow vehicle.

Reactions: PA Chuck D

PA Chuck D

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Clarksville, TN
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Drury
Member #

@PA Chuck D

The Timbren 3500HD can only be used with a 6 lug hub & 12" brakes. These are actually a 6000 lb axle.

The 3500 will be able to use a 5 lug with 10" brakes. These are a 3500 lb axle, and are 2" narrower than the HD version.

Running wheel adapters to make the 6 lug work on a 5 lug will increase the width by another 2", but if you can live with space adapters, and the extra width, you can use the same wheel as your tow vehicle.
Nice! I'll keep that in mind. I appreciate the info. I want to be able to run the same wheels on the trailer and my rig. That way, I'll have an extra spare.

PA Chuck D

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Clarksville, TN
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Drury
Member #

To each their own. What works well for one, doesn't for another. The fun part in this hobby, is we get to do it how we want, and/or change it as we go.

My reason for having the box between the wheels, is for protection on the trails. It helps with Off camber rocking into objects and for brush rubs.

I made my full length fenders out of thick wall DOM tube, to act as sliders, and protect the body. Made external storage boxes to use the space above them, and a place to store propane tanks. So it's not a total loss of space this way. I can also stand on them when unpack/packing the RTT.
That looks sharp.

Reactions: Gmanpaint

PA Chuck D

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Clarksville, TN
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Drury
Member #

New here and started this trailer off a tractor supply. Plan was a roof top tent but thinking now to build a square top camper. Looking for more cabinets etc. current trailer is great but can’t take up the floor space as it pulls double duty to haul a quad and various other stuff.

Love seeing all your builds and trailers for ideas
That is basically what I am going to be starting with. I want to still use it for my 4 wheeler and riding mower. I've been researching the Timbren axle-less suspension to give it a smoother ride and a lift. I want to put 33" tires to match my Disco. Also an articulating hitch and receiver. I'm still in the planning phase. Probably 6-8 months before I'll be ready to start. (Finances permitting!)

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Starting the long overdue work on making it a camper trailer. More to come as parts arrive.
Are you planning to move your spare tire? Leaving it under the tongue will let you find all kinds of high spots you never thought of. I tried that once on my teardrop, and drug the tire across the sidewalk getting out of my driveway.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Teardrops Northwest had a sale going on for their unused rental models, and I've been mulling over picking up a trailer for over a year, so here's our new trailer! I think they still have 1 left if anyone is looking
I'm sure you'll love it.

Reactions: trav87

trav87

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Sweet Home, Oregon, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Hudson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LUQ
Teardrops Northwest had a sale going on for their unused rental models, and I've been mulling over picking up a trailer for over a year, so here's our new trailer! I think they still have 1 left if anyone is looking
I'm sure you'll love it.
So far we are! Luckily we aren't under a shelter in place order, we've been out twice with it in the National Forest down the road from us.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Here is a photo of my homemade offroad camper build. Just need to finish the rear door and get it registered and then we are camping! Also organizing photos to be able to share all that went into it. Let me know what yall think!
Looks nice. I see you went for the nice doors. They make all the difference.

Reactions: DizzyDoyle

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Here is a photo of my homemade offroad camper build. Just need to finish the rear door and get it registered and then we are camping! Also organizing photos to be able to share all that went into it. Let me know what yall think!
Looks fabulous. Looking forward to more about it. What are you towing it with?

Reactions: DizzyDoyle