Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Sorry for being so late to the discussion but I think AZ and NM should be in the Rocky Mountains group. Most of us in AZ do a lot of trips in the Four Corners area and would not do anything in OK or anything in TX other than maybe far west TX. Maybe change the division lines more based on time zones? Of course AZ we don't switch so we're weird.

Based on the current SW group I see lots of folks not having anything in common for joint gatherings and a lot of AZ/NM folks wanting to do things with the Rocky Mountains group. Same may be said for other bordering regions.

So how would you address this if you don't shift around some states other than be a member of multiple regions?

I run a group called AZ Overlanders where hyper local works well for certain things but there is a small subset of folks with more flexible schedules that like to do longer trips. So you might consider somehow teaming up with the small local groups as well and somehow trying to bring them into the circle but keep them local in nature.

Thanks
What the area guys are talking about in Virginia (along with @chris_jones is having our 3-4 little groups for monthly get togethers and little overnight kinds of things but organizing state and region wide gatherings to get everyone acquainted for larger/ longer trips.

What you are saying is valid but maybe that gives you the opportunity to take guys from your region out to where you normally go, where they might not go otherwise, and show them around! They could also do the same for you as well. It's about getting out and seeing new places with friends!

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

So how would you address this if you don't shift around some states other than be a member of multiple regions?
A *lot* of potential regions were discussed, tweaked, changed, discarded, etc. @Michael wanted the final result to make the most sense for the most members, and also be based on a commonly used set of regions. The US Fish and Wildlife regions came the closest to what we wanted. Once that was decided, the regions were announced, Facebook groups started or adopted, Ambassadors assigned, and so forth. I don't think any tweaking is going to happen at this stage of the process.

And you've hit the nail on the head for folks living or traveling across regions- join both! Any activities in either region will show up on the Overland Bound Calendar. And any official regional events on the Facebook Groups will have a corresponding thread here on the forums. So you should be able to find folks interested in what you're planning, or find other events that you're interested in attending in either region.

Steve

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
There is a point though with the Southwest - how many TX or OK people going to make it to AZ or vice versa? That is a 14hr drive. Heck, you can drive the whole east coast in about that much time. I have never seen TX or OK being considered a southwest state. No hard feelings for TX/OK people, just being real. On a map of the US, they are in the middle of the country.
Signing up for multiple regions is kind of redundant since we all signed up to be members of OB. Basically we should just sign up as USA members, or maybe we could sign up for the timezone that we live in. Hmm, timezone is a more accurate breakdown of the states.
It does not really make a difference to me, as I was a patch collector person when I was on active duty and now that I am a civilian just not into it as much. I currently have more coins than patches, because those will get you free drinks at the bar. The only patch that I carry with me now is a "If I'm lucky - get out of a speeding ticket law enforcement patch". Lol

Reactions: Michael and 1Louder

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
What the area guys are talking about in Virginia (along with @chris_jones is having our 3-4 little groups for monthly get togethers and little overnight kinds of things but organizing state and region wide gatherings to get everyone acquainted for larger/ longer trips.

What you are saying is valid but maybe that gives you the opportunity to take guys from your region out to where you normally go, where they might not go otherwise, and show them around! They could also do the same for you as well. It's about getting out and seeing new places with friends!
El Paso is 6.5 hours from Phoenix. After El Paso there isn't a whole lot until you get to Austin San Antonio area. I'm talking population and not things to do. We just aren't as densely populated out here. OKC is 14 hours, ABQ is 6. This is without stops.

I guess I should have joined the conversation earlier. I just don't think what game and fish came up with makes a lot of sense. It will really matter when the sub-groups get together. If AZ people are really active if I was in TX I wouldn't want to see all of the activity or vice versa. It's not how I would have arranged things but this is not my house so to speak.

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

Hi folks - jumping in...I am the SW Ambassador person, and while I don't disagree with the points being made, I also want to echo what Steve said above - there isn't ever going to be one system that makes the most sense to everyone, so the chalk line has to be snapped somewhere. Our plan is work in with the (and I really like the term) hyper-local folks to work on setting up easy, short distance, geographically close events - Dallas is working on a Dallas event series, AZ (Pheonix area) is working on an event series, here in Albuquerque we are working on a local string as well - I would expect and support, and help where possible, this same approach across the "Southwest" region states / locations.

That said, I also have a lot of passion about trying to push the local and easy boundaries, in the same passion and mission to have the Community get together, when possible, for events, regardless of Regional affiliation. Recognizing that this is not always possible for everyone, at least the info is out there for anyone to see, join, etc.

Additionally, as part of this, the Regional focus is an attempt to make communication, participation, localization, support more efficient and effective for members - if it is or isn't working, we need the feedback - constructively - to continue to evaluate and make changes for the better.

Happy to chat anytime - PM me, if you want to voice chat, I'll send my number. Again - whatever works, this is all for the Community.

Ryan

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
There is a point though with the Southwest - how many TX or OK people going to make it to AZ or vice versa? That is a 14hr drive. Heck, you can drive the whole east coast in about that much time. I have never seen TX or OK being considered a southwest state. No hard feelings for TX/OK people, just being real. On a map of the US, they are in the middle of the country.
Signing up for multiple regions is kind of redundant since we all signed up to be members of OB. Basically we should just sign up as USA members, or maybe we could sign up for the timezone that we live in. Hmm, timezone is a more accurate breakdown of the states.
It does not really make a difference to me, as I was a patch collector person when I was on active duty and now that I am a civilian just not into it as much. I currently have more coins than patches, because those will get you free drinks at the bar. The only patch that I carry with me now is a "If I'm lucky - get out of a speeding ticket law enforcement patch". Lol
You think the US is tough? Imagine what the Ambassadors are going through in Europe! Thank goodness for Australia and Canada. What Steve said. This has been debated at great length, and BTW - What do you do with Kentucky? Of all the regional "official " sources (Census Bureau, National Parks, Etc), the Fish and Wildlife was the least cluster F'd. If we solve your issue with another format, we break it for thousands of others. There is no perfect solution. @Steve since this question is bound to come up until the end of time, we should add to the FAQ. I'll try to get to it.

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

You think the US is tough? Imagine what the Ambassadors are going through in Europe! Thank goodness for Australia and Canada. What Steve said. This has been debated at great length, and BTW - What do you do with Kentucky? Of all the regional "official " sources (Census Bureau, National Parks, Etc), the Fish and Wildlife was the least cluster F'd. If we solve your issue with another format, we break it for thousands of others. There is no perfect solution. @Steve since this question is bound to come up until the end of time, we should add to the FAQ. I'll try to get to it.
Think UK has it easy compared to USA , really only 4 "component" parts for UK (at the moment.....) and breaking it down further into counties would be too much (much like into EU) - Keeping it "Simple" with countries unless there is large defined regions would be sensible option..

I know not particularly helpful for the debate a few posts up from this one but hey anything to make lives easier is a good thing right [emoji6]

Sent from Mobile App

Montanaguy

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Missoula, Montana
Member #

I always considered Montana part of the NW, I guess since I was born there I'll have to have dual citizenship, or regionship? Forget it, I'll just take one of everything!

Posted via mobile.
Lol. I've always had fun ribbings with friends about that same thing. I am a born and raised (Eastern Washingtonian), but have live in Missoula, Montana for 16 years. I too consider myself a dual regionship. [emoji23]

Sent from my XT1585 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: badmnky

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Sweet. How are you sorting out regional ambassadors? Short of someone jumping up and down going "oooh me!"
I know this was earlier, but for some sense of what goes into this, here's @Michael's quote from earlier in this thread. So, no nominating and voting, and jumping up and down may help, but aren't the only qualifications. ;)

The system that has worked so far (and may not be sustainable) is that we open up regions when an Ambassador emerges naturally. The community itself is a pretty good filter for this. In the US and AUS, this has been the case. Someone is active, naturally understands our goals, mission, and Founding Principles, and the community respects the individual to represent the region. It's not perfect, but we haven't rolled out regions until there is someone who is very active and can take the whole thing on soup to nuts. Its a big responsibility, and there is a lot of dialogue btwn you and other Ambassadors. Ambassadors speak for Corrie and I, and are able to articulate policy and make calls. They are all also "Staff" in these forums, and coordinate their designated fb_group admins, or admin the fb groups themselves. There is quite a bit of on-boarding that occurs!

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

I feel we have a prospective Ambassador who is itching to volunteer. perhaps he will just stick his hand up and say so
Who are you thinking of?

I'm just airing ideas with no agendas in mind lol [emoji6]

If it's going to get done in UK, the UK members need to speak out with their points of view and thoughts about it [emoji4]

Sent from Mobile App

Reactions: Tim

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Who are you thinking of?

I'm just airing ideas with no agendas in mind lol [emoji6]

If it's going to get done in UK, the UK members need to speak out with their points of view and thoughts about it [emoji4]

Sent from Mobile App
I must admit, it's fairly quiet with regards to UK input into this thread

Reactions: Tim and Ravip92

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

I must admit, it's fairly quiet with regards to UK input into this thread
I've been thinking about this for a while and I guess I was hoping we could have got a UK meet up organised first before we get too 'regional' about it. I don't know for sure but I'm guessing some of those US regions are pretty big compared to the UK and have a lot more members. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying the regions are wrong for the UK and I appreciate the effort @Kevigizmo put into the designs - they look great, I just haven't felt it a priority. Again just my feeling on this and hopefully as we do all meet up at shows etc we will attract more members and the question might become more pressing.

To the question of whether we need an Ambassador for the UK, sounds like a great idea if that means we can get a bit more coordinated. We should probably get some of these shows we've talked about like Adventure Overland in the forum calendar and organise a meeting point. Maybe the beer tent at a certain time on the Saturday night? ... This is probably a conversation for our region so I will copy it there.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Roger352

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

, Cornwall PL17 , United Kingdom
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I've been thinking about this for a while and I guess I was hoping we could have got a UK meet up organised first before we get too 'regional' about it. I don't know for sure but I'm guessing some of those US regions are pretty big compared to the UK and have a lot more members. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying the regions are wrong for the UK and I appreciate the effort @Kevigizmo put into the designs - they look great, I just haven't felt it a priority. Again just my feeling on this and hopefully as we do all meet up at shows etc we will attract more members and the question might become more pressing.

To the question of whether we need an Ambassador for the UK, sounds like a great idea if that means we can get a bit more coordinated. We should probably get some of these shows we've talked about like Adventure Overland in the forum calendar and organise a meeting point. Maybe the beer tent at a certain time on the Saturday night? ... This is probably a conversation for our region so I will copy it there.

I think your right looking at the map we have a few members and the same number as forum members but not OB members. We need to get out and organise ourselves can we get club member for shows like your local Landrover clubs etc. Maybe get some promotional items from OB to set up a display at the LRO shows and the overland show later in the year. Just my two pennies worth.

Reactions: Kevigizmo and Tim

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

I think your right looking at the map we have a few members and the same number as forum members but not OB members. We need to get out and organise ourselves can we get club member for shows like your local Landrover clubs etc. Maybe get some promotional items from OB to set up a display at the LRO shows and the overland show later in the year. Just my two pennies worth.
UK Basecamp comes to mind [emoji4]

Sent from Mobile App

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

I like it! Even if we don't have a stand as such we can give away stickers or get some of handout cards the OB sell to hand out as we are wondering around the shows.

Reactions: Kevigizmo