Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
Add me to the list of interested, please, Brent. KG5JLP. My son has a swim meet this evening, so I may not make it, but I'll give it the ol' college try.
Done and ok to connect late. I assume the first one may take an hour or so as trial

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
Do you connect just like a 1-1 connection? I don't hear anyone
Yes, but it doesn't start until 6pm Pacific time. I saw a couple of people connect when I was away. I am by the computer now if you want to test. If not try again at 6

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
OK. I'm pretty sure I've got it worked out AND up and running on my laptop. Works on the test server, so.... Sorry to yell, but, I HATE WINDOWS 10!!! Looking forward to tonight.

Shane, K5TIN
Shane, that is good to hear. I am logged in and could test it if your want to. Just doing some house stuff but should be close enough to hear the computer.

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
T minus 1 hour till the OB EchoLink net. Join us on Brentc17’s node KJ7BHN and help get this thing off the ground!

Reactions: whiskey7backroads

Jimmy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Duncan, OK, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5JLP
And down that quick. My machine is giving me fits. I hope to have this sorted by the next time.

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Not going to make it unfortunately!
No worries. It went pretty well and definitely won't be the last one. We've narrowed it down to either weekly or bi-weekly on Friday nights at the same time. Brent will be putting some info in the threads soon, so just keep an eye out.

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
Great hearing everyone who made it. I was hoping to log in from an actual radio but it would appear that the linked radios in my area are all restricted these days.

As requested here is the 4x4ham.com website asked for. http://www.4x4ham.com/activity.php?

There is some good info and good people there. I was part of the original group but have kind of gravitate away from them. The 4x4 part has become very brand orientated. Worth poking around there site and lots of good radio conversations and articles.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Good net fellas! Thanks to Brent and Shane for hosting and running it! I think it went well and was a great start. I'll have to figure out why my computer won't allow Echolink to communicate with the system so I don't have to use my phone next time.

Looking forward to it again next week. de KT4OZ

Jimmy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Duncan, OK, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5JLP
Hi Jimmy. Were you able to here Shane's 2 minute warning just now?
I was able to hear until I blew up echolink trying to fix my mic. It was a PEBKAC issue. I got re-installed, and I should be good, but I missed the net.

PEBKAC = Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair

Reactions: TerryD

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
I was able to hear until I blew up echolink trying to fix my mic. It was a PEBKAC issue. I got re-installed, and I should be good, but I missed the net.

PEBKAC = Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair
Understood. I think several of us are dialing in echolink. The net went really well. Brent and Shane did a great job and we sorted some of the details for future nets. Look forward to chatting with you next time around.

Reactions: Jimmy P

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
To all interested in the un official Overland Bound Ham Radio Net.

The first test NET went well with little problems. Here is a recap of some business points and also other items

It was determined we need a weekly NET vs Monthly or twice a month. Knowing that not everyone will be able to participate weekly.
We have some interest from members who want to share or contribute to NET control, we will need some more.
Everyone agreed that we need a topic and agenda and suggested it be posted the week prior on forum
There were different experience levels of Overland and Ham. Some new to Ham and been Overlanding a while. So vise versa and some experienced at both. It was a nice mix.
Suggested that we reach out to admin and get an ok or certification from OB staff, Someone said they are working on something also regarding Ham Radio. I am going to do that this morning.
Seemed like biggest problem was having new Echolink users get computers or routers configured. I will be logged in at times with no conference, please use my node to connect to and test. I will do my best to help.

Thanks all who participated and gave input. If I missed anything let me know. More details for this coming week coming along with a topic poll

Brent KJ7BHN

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
I would suggest that if this is going to be a regular thing and once we dial in the time and location we amend the first post to list that info. This will give an easy reference for everyone to view.

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
I would suggest that if this is going to be a regular thing and once we dial in the time and location we amend the first post to list that info. This will give an easy reference for everyone to view.
Agreed. In fact I want to add to calendar and rally point. I have made contact with Kent and he is sending to another admin for review. There has been discussion already on Ham Radio topics so I think just need to see how this fits in. I will forward info when I get it complete and make changes.
Thanks for input and look for poll at beginning thread. Not sure how to move it to end but its a poll for what topics member would want to have on the NET

Reactions: ru108

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Agreed. In fact I want to add to calendar and rally point. I have made contact with Kent and he is sending to another admin for review. There has been discussion already on Ham Radio topics so I think just need to see how this fits in. I will forward info when I get it complete and make changes.
Thanks for input and look for poll at beginning thread. Not sure how to move it to end but its a poll for what topics member would want to have on the NET
I replied to your message.

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
For those having router and Windows firewall issues, Here's what I ended up having to do to get mine working right. This will be for Windows 10, so YMMV. The router info SHOULD work for any router:

In your Windows Defender firewall, make sure that EchoLink has permissions for outbound AND inbound connections. In the System Security section of Control Panel, go to "Allow apps to communicate through Windows Defender Firewall" and make sure EchoLink, EchoLink 5198 and EchoLink 5199 are checked off for pulic AND Private. This SHOULD have happened when the program was first installed when you were asked for permissions to access. If it didn't, the aforementioned changes should cure it. If not, then you can always delete and reinstall it.

ROUTER:

Just about every router uses the same IP address to log in, which should be 192.168.1.1 The login is usually "admin" and the password is left blank. Note that there is a possibility that your ISP has a login and pass, but not very likely. If they do, then you'll need to contact your customer support and get it.

Once you're logged in, go to the gaming setup area for ports (this will be in different areas/tabs for different routers) and add ports 5198 and 5199 to the UDP permissions so your router will allow inbound data.

The issue I was having turned out to be the local IP address for my laptop, which was easily changed by looking at my network paths in the router settings. You need to make sure the IP's match.

I THINK I covered most of it. If anyone who's got better IT smarts wants to chime in, add or correct anything, please feel free. This was just what ended up working for me.

Last edited:

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I think I have echolink working. Anyone want to give it a shot? I'm logged in now. KT4OZ

**Off line now. If anyone is interested in some Echolink testing, I should be around this evening. **

Last edited: