Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Steele
Member #

I smell a raffle coming along for spots in the convoy!! Just saying, it's probably the fairest way of doing it!! Doing a "ticket sales start at X time" type of deal kind of sucks for anyone without access to a computer or something during that time frame. A raffle is 100% equal opportunity for very OB member-if your name is drawn, you have the option to pay for the ticket and attend, or opt out and your name removed from this seasons OTG raffle, and the ticket/spot is raffled to the next Members name drawn. Easy way to do it too, random number generator, 1-6,XXX, (with 6,XXX=number of active members). When a member number is drawn, they're contacted by @Michael or @Corrie (or whichever OB team member is in charge of it) and have 24hrs to respond with a yes or no, and payment for the convoy placement!
Just a thought....

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Mudgard

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Thanks brien, I guess there's more interest in participating than anyone knew. Although I'm new here I consider this a quality site. The responses and posts from folks here, not just members, is interesting and informative. That they would want to meet in a hosted event, to connect and enjoy like minded people doesn't surprise me. I offer my help in any way needed. I think others will offer also. My 2 cts.
Come say hi in the Arizona Overlanders thread, too, if you haven't yet. We have unofficial meetups about every month or so around the state. There's one coming up next Saturday, in fact.

Reactions: buckwilk

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

I smell a raffle coming along for spots in the convoy!! Just saying, it's probably the fairest way of doing it!! Doing a "ticket sales start at X time" type of deal kind of sucks for anyone without access to a computer or something during that time frame. A raffle is 100% equal opportunity for very OB member-if your name is drawn, you have the option to pay for the ticket and attend, or opt out and your name removed from this seasons OTG raffle, and the ticket/spot is raffled to the next Members name drawn. Easy way to do it too, random number generator, 1-6,XXX, (with 6,XXX=number of active members). When a member number is drawn, they're contacted by @Michael or @Corrie (or whichever OB team member is in charge of it) and have 24hrs to respond with a yes or no, and payment for the convoy placement!
Just a thought....

With so many people not even living in the states or to far away to attend this will take absolutely ages.. they probably won't even be done in sept this way [emoji14]
It's just like concert tickets I guess.. you know when they are going up for sale so you better make sure you or somebody else for you can get some before they are sold out [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-G903F using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Road

LuxuryOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Steele
Member #

With so many people not even living in the states or to far away to attend this will take absolutely ages.. they probably won't even be done in sept this way [emoji14]
It's just like concert tickets I guess.. you know when they are going up for sale so you better make sure you or somebody else for you can get some before they are sold out [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-G903F using OB Talk mobile app
Raffles are easy and subsequently a lot more fair and equal opportunity for everyone. If they do a timed release for ticket sales, some folks may have to be up insanely early or late to be able for a CHANCE to get a ticket. It's unfair for those individuals. A raffle is just equal opportunity, plain and simple. Draw member numbers and ask them if they'd like to attend or not, until the desired rig number is met!

Grevlin

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

South Carolina
Member #

Just a couple of ideas for the mix...

You could take the list of folks who have specifically requested to be a part of the convoy, and take the first 60 in order of Membership numbers. Basically, seniority. 61-70 could be put on notice as alternates if any of the 60 cancel.

Also, perhaps a 2nd trip? So, two days in a row. 60 one day, and a different 60 the next day. "Easy" way to double the count.

jazzy13

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newport, RI, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Azbill
Member #

RoverlandingSOCAL & Grevlin, great ideas. Here's a slight modification to your suggestions...

Conduct a sign-up and a subsequent raffle. Open the sign-up/enrollment for a 48-hour period. After the 48-hour period, the sign-up page/thread with close. A raffle will then take place for all members that signed-up. One side note, a written disclaimer accompanying Michael's notification will state that any/all who replied to the OTG Rally sign-up thread with a yes, or some verbiage that alluded to their participation, if selected during the raffle, will be held liable for the sign-up cost. However, any extenuating circumstances (Michael's discretion) beyond the member's control that prevents them from participating, will be responsible for paying no less than $100. This should produce a pretty accurate number of members who truly intend to participate.

If the numbers are still very high, two OTGs a year would still get a lot of interest. Thoughts...

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I still think that Benefactors and Supporters, should get some preference on attendance to the OTG 2017. The community is so big, probably warrants looking at doing this regionally in 2018.

Each regional event would be open to the entire community. This would allow members to attend a different regional event each year, if they chose. The route of the event could change in each region yearly. If the are held at different times a year, this would allow members to fit events in to their calendars.

This would allow events to be global. I'm sure on occasion US OB members would love heading to Australia, Africa, EU, etc.. for an event. EU members might choose to come to the US for an epic event through Northen CA, Colorado, Alaska, etc... Not everyone would do this on their own, but with the safety net of an OB event, I'm sure they might attend.

Lagisticaly, we could add the events to store. Everyone that wants to attend, purchases an OTG 2017 (OTG West 2018, OTG East 2018, etc...). We could then use the lottery system to choose who attends. The CC/debit/? only gets charged if they are selected to attend.

Just some thoughts

Last edited:

Lifes2short4BS

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Half Moon Bay, Ca
First Name
Scotty
Last Name
N
Member #

I still think that Benefactors and Supporters, should get some preference on attendance to the OTG 2017. The community is so big, probably warrants looking at doing this regionally in 2018.

Each regional event would be open to the entire community. This would allow members to attend a different regional event each year, if they chose. The route of the event could change in each region yearly. If the are held at different times a year, this would allow members to fit events in to their calendars.

This would allow events to be global. I'm sure on occasion US OB members would love heading to Australia, Africa, EU, etc.. for an event. EU members might choose to come to the US for an epic event through Northen CA, Colorado, Alaska, etc... Not everyone would do this on their own, but with the safety net of an OB event, I'm sure they might attend.

Lagisticaly, we could add the events to store. Everyone that wants to attend, purchases an OTG 2017 (OTG West 2018, OTG East 2018, etc...). We could then use the lottery system to choose who attends. The CC/debit/? only gets charged if they are selected to attend.

Just some thoughts
Supporters and Benefactors absolutely should get a preference slot... We are financially helping to support OB already. Beyond that I think a raffle isn't a bad idea at all. I do, however, think that it should be from a pool of members that sign up and make a small deposit as a commitment to going. If they are not pulled in the raffle their deposit is refunded.

LuxuryOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Steele
Member #

Supporters and Benefactors absolutely should get a preference slot... We are financially helping to support OB already. Beyond that I think a raffle isn't a bad idea at all. I do, however, think that it should be from a pool of members that sign up and make a small deposit as a commitment to going. If they are not pulled in the raffle their deposit is refunded.
If they make is so benefactors and supporters get preference, there will be no spots left for anyone NOT already a supporter, as there are a ton already. Beyond that, every single individual who has paid for a membership, has helped to fund the site and keep it alive. I believe it's why the membership was probably created to begin with. Benefactors and supporters help tremendously too I'm sure, but to guarantee them placement, sees every other paid for member out if they aren't financially capable of paying monthly for a website.
If this is the line of thinking, maybe do a OTG and a OTG: BENEFACTORS AND SUPPORTS TRIP, at separate times.

Reactions: Road

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
If they make is so benefactors and supporters get preference, there will be no spots left for anyone NOT already a supporter, as there are a ton already. Beyond that, every single individual who has paid for a membership, has helped to fund the site and keep it alive. I believe it's why the membership was probably created to begin with. Benefactors and supporters help tremendously too I'm sure, but to guarantee them placement, sees every other paid for member out if they aren't financially capable of paying monthly for a website.
If this is the line of thinking, maybe do a OTG and a OTG: BENEFACTORS AND SUPPORTS TRIP, at separate times.

I agree: It would be good if their was some preference, but can't allow the Benefactors and Supporters to dominate attendance.

May I suggest three levels of rendome selection. The first selection of 10 participants would come exclusively from the Benefactors that have registered for the OTG 2017. The next 10 attendees would be from a pool of the remaining Benefactors with the addition of the registered Supporters. The final drawing of 40, would be from the remaining Benefactors/Supporters, and all the registered members. This would provide a graduated benefit, based on membership type. I think the 10/10/40 makes sense, but the quantity of each drawing could change.

I think some benefit to the 500 is deserved. Something like 5/10/15/30. With the first 5 being drawn exclusively from the 500 etc... I assume some slots will be allocated to the leadership, for logistic purposes.

Reactions: Lifes2short4BS

Grevlin

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

South Carolina
Member #

Well...on the bright side, these are the problems you like to see. Growing pains. :grin:

Only so much Mr and Mrs OB can do in-person. Maybe a larger location. Or multiple days of trips during one event. Or regional events. Probably a little of all three.

Reactions: Jeff Graham

Lifes2short4BS

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Half Moon Bay, Ca
First Name
Scotty
Last Name
N
Member #

I agree: It would be good if their was some preference, but can't allow the Benefactors and Supporters to dominate attendance.

May I suggest three levels of rendome selection. The first selection of 10 participants would come exclusively from the Benefactors that have registered for the OTG 2017. The next 10 attendees would be from a pool of the remaining Benefactors with the addition of the registered Supporters. The final drawing of 40, would be from the remaining Benefactors/Supporters, and all the registered members. This would provide a graduated benefit, based on membership type. I think the 10/10/40 makes sense, but the quantity of each drawing could change.

I think some benefit to the 500 is deserved. Something like 5/10/15/30. With the first 5 being drawn exclusively from the 500 etc... I assume some slots will be allocated to the leadership, for logistic purposes.
That's actually a good idea to split, but I have faith in Michael and Corrie. They'll get it done, might not be able to please everyone.... one thing to keep in mind is there will also need to ba a support crew for an event this big... not sure if that will eat any of the slots or not

Reactions: Jeff Graham

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
That's actually a good idea to split, but I have faith in Michael and Corrie. They'll get it done, might not be able to please everyone.... one thing to keep in mind is there will also need to ba a support crew for an event this big... not sure if that will eat any of the slots or not
I agree: I will be happy with what Michael, Corrie, and the others in the leadership inner circle come up with. I'm sure they will make every attempt to be fair. I'm just throwing out some ideas for their consideration.

Corrie

Rank VII
Staff member
Founder 500
Supporter

Protector II

Placer County, California, United States
First Name
Corrie
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Hi guys - Super fun times are being had at HQ! We're finalizing logistics and details today and tomorrow, and tickets will go on sale this week. A couple high level bullets based on our desire to improve over the last 2 years.

1. There is a 60 vehicle cap for this event, and we're aiming to keep total attendees to 100. The trail ride will be broken down into 8 teams with ~8 vehicles per crew. Each team will be pre-assigned.

2. We will have comms running up and down the mountain so that teams only move forward once another team has cleared a section of the trail. Our goal is to move smaller units more efficiently, and avoid jams. We will be taking a pre-determined circular route this year.

3. Tickets will be made available/released to groups via email in the following order:
a. Founder 500 & Previous Years Attendees (Day 1)
b. All Members & Benefactors, Supporter +, and Supporters (Day 2)
c. Overland Bound Mailing List (Day 3)
d. Social Media (if not sold out)

4. We've added a few things to make the event and the Rally HQ even better:
a. Welcome Dinner Buffet with beverages
b. Lunch on top of Bald Mountain with non-alcoholic beverages
c. OTG West Challenge Coin exclusive for attendees
d. Support staff (Alas. I've given up trying to do it all. :tearsofjoy:)
e. Kids Activities & Fun Zone-pa-looza
f. Expanded our number of camp sites to create more room/accommodations

That's it for now. More info coming in the next day. Hang tight!

Corrie

Mark D

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Whittier CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dickens
Member #

Hi guys - Super fun times are being had at HQ! We're finalizing logistics and details today and tomorrow, and tickets will go on sale this week. A couple high level bullets based on our desire to improve over the last 2 years.

1. There is a 60 vehicle cap for this event, and we're aiming to keep total attendees to 100. The trail ride will be broken down into 8 teams with ~8 vehicles per crew. Each team will be pre-assigned.

2. We will have comms running up and down the mountain so that teams only move forward once another team has cleared a section of the trail. Our goal is to move smaller units more efficiently, and avoid jams. We will be taking a pre-determined circular route this year.

3. Tickets will be made available/released to groups via email in the following order:

Corrie
Thank you Corrie and Michael! Sounds great.

MrsFantastico

Rank V
Staff member
Launch Member

Traveler III

Dewey, AZ
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Emerdinger
Member #

Corrie
Thanks Corrie!! Unless this will be listed later today or tomorrow, do you have a set date yet? I am coordinating my wedding plans around the end of September, but I want to make sure and make OTG!! :) Thanks again Corrie & M

Sent from my Pixel XL using OB Talk mobile app