Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Steele
Member #

Well hopefully out of 500+ founders being given a day head start on the ticket sales, with only 60 being sold, leaves some sort of scraps for other 6,000+ of us. Perhaps efforts should be made by more of us non-founder 500, regular members to create another sort of OTG event, so more of us have the opportunity to attend. [emoji16][emoji554]️[emoji904][emoji594]

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: SinCityOverland

Corrie

Rank VII
Staff member
Founder 500
Supporter

Protector II

Placer County, California, United States
First Name
Corrie
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Well hopefully out of 500+ founders being given a day head start on the ticket sales, with only 60 being sold, leaves some sort of scraps for other 6,000+ of us. Perhaps efforts should be made by more of us non-founder 500, regular members to create another sort of OTG event, so more of us have the opportunity to attend. [emoji16][emoji554]️[emoji904][emoji594]

We totally hear you. It's not ideal, but it's what we can do for now. We're working on expanding this type of event as fast as possible and taking it to every region possible.

LuxuryOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Steele
Member #

We totally hear you. It's not ideal, but it's what we can do for now. We're working on expanding this type of event as fast as possible and taking it to every region possible.
Oh I completely understand!

As a new member, I do feel some of us should band together to create not just one, but several OTG events through the year for everyone to get the chance to attend. Perhaps a Quarterly OTG type of thing! Obviously, staffing and coordinating events like that will take tons of effort, but with so many of us, I bet we could make it happen! An OTG for the Seasons! Haha

Reactions: Mirek and Corrie

LuxuryOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Steele
Member #

I'm going to work on trying to find us a location we can have a ginormous OB meet. Couldn't coordinate a trail trip with a huge event like that, but a huge meet where every single individual OB member would be welcome. Could be a bash for a ages! [emoji23][emoji482]

Grevlin

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

South Carolina
Member #

I'm going to work on trying to find us a location we can have a ginormous OB meet. Couldn't coordinate a trail trip with a huge event like that, but a huge meet where every single individual OB member would be welcome. Could be a bash for a ages! [emoji23][emoji482]

Desert area? BIG one. Bring all that you need and leave no trace. Could be epic. (Hell, even I could attend with my current pre-overland-awakening Ford Escape!)

Challenges would be heat and dust on vehicle, heat and dust on humans, wind, water storage, proper clothing etc etc.

Corrie - with loooong notice...like 9 months to a year, you could probably bank on a good percentage of members making the trek. That could be a sizable margin into the OB coffers. Just letting my mind wander.

Chihuahuan Desert...New Mexico perhaps? Somewhat centrally located, at least east to west.

Last edited:
Reactions: LuxuryOverland

LuxuryOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Steele
Member #

Desert area? BIG one. Bring all that you need and leave no trace. Could be epic. (Hell, even I could attend with my current pre-overland-awakening Ford Escape!)

Challenges would be heat and dust on vehicle, heat and dust on humans, wind, water storage, proper clothing etc etc.

Corrie - with loooong notice...like 9 months to a year, you could probably bank on a good percentage of members making the trek. That could be a sizable margin into the OB coffers. Just letting my mind wander.

Chihuahuan Desert...New Mexico perhaps? Somewhat centrally located, at least east to west.
Slab City, California. All the room we want, and truly off the grid.

Reactions: Grevlin

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
"Getting permission from the government to hold something like this on public land is almost impossible." Not true, events like this are held every year on public land. Large scale events are held every year on BLM land near Quartzite Az. Blm is actually very cooperative when it comes to permits and schedules. More than 20 t0 30 such events are held just in the Q area every year. Multiple short term and long term areas abound in this area. Wheeling in the desert is unlimited and interesting. American Adventurist hold desert events in S. Cali every year with 130 vehicles attending. Jeep Jamborees are held all over the country on public land and trails. Rubicon, Fordyce, Moab come to mind. Escapees RV does an annual at various places around the country and most of them have no limit on the number of folks attending.

Reactions: LuxuryOverland

jazzy13

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newport, RI, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Azbill
Member #

As a member living in Kentucky, west-coast excursions are usually not feasible, thus a regional-based event is an exceptional idea...thanks Corrie. Michael and Corrie have the unenviable task of planning this, but like everything else they do, it will be a well-planned/organized event that will be amazing and memorable.

On that note, another idea...perhaps a round-robin type event. One large base camp that can accommodate a lot of rigs. However, identify a site with several (3-4) close-by trails. Break up the members into three or four groups or whatever number coincides with the designated trails. Coordinate camp sites by group for proximity's sake. Each day, Michael and Corrie give a morning brief to all participants and then each group, who will have at least one experienced team leader, will head out to the trail identified for them for that particular day. The next day, each group rotates to the next trail.

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
I know quite a particular camp spot near Bald Mountain that could accomodate 60+ participants. It has access to a store within 5min, river access within a half mile and access to many of the trail starts, especially Bald Mt. @Michael or @Corrie if you want me to give you GPS Coordinates and do some recon pics, I would love to help:grinning:

Reactions: WrightRunner

Randy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakley, CA
Member #

For all those who want more oportunities to test their vehicles and develope their skills, but unfortunately can't get into the 60 rig limit for the OB trip- there are many other organizations out there to soothe your cravings.

I'm in CA, but I'm sure these types of orgs exist all over.

Cal4wheel. Monthly runs, many with varying lengths and difficulties- from stock SUV to full on rock buggies.

Jeep and Jeepers Jamboree. Runs on the Rubicon in CA and other famous spots throughout the country. Many runs open to non Jeeps.

Blue Ribbon Coalition. Open to all types of off road, over the snow, motorcycles, etc....

Also local clubs put on runs and 4x4 "schools" in places like Holister to develop your skills and confidence with your vehicle.

While these aren't "official" OB runs, nothing would stop a group from OB getting together and going together.

The Sierra Trek comes to mind as a great option. Runs varying between "scenic" stock suv, historical, full size rigs, and the main trail Fordyce Creek which needs big tires and lockers. There is a base camp with meals provided and activities for kids, live band in evening, vehicle aftermarket parts vendors, raffle, etc.... A major undertaking like Sierra Trek could also be a case study for future OTG ralleys. They handle hundreds of rigs!

Something to think about....

Sent from my VS985 4G using OB Talk mobile app

Mark D

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Whittier CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dickens
Member #

"Getting permission from the government to hold something like this on public land is almost impossible." Not true, events like this are held every year on public land. Large scale events are held every year on BLM land near Quartzite Az. Blm is actually very cooperative when it comes to permits and schedules. More than 20 t0 30 such events are held just in the Q area every year. Multiple short term and long term areas abound in this area. Wheeling in the desert is unlimited and interesting. American Adventurist hold desert events in S. Cali every year with 130 vehicles attending. Jeep Jamborees are held all over the country on public land and trails. Rubicon, Fordyce, Moab come to mind. Escapees RV does an annual at various places around the country and most of them have no limit on the number of folks attending.
I would like more information about how to work with the BLM. I am part of a Southern California group that has had to find private land to camp at because of the requirements they impose. We wanted to run the Mojave Trail and were told if there were going to be more than (I can't remember if it was 10?) vehicles we would have to tow a portable toilet. When we made the run the person who organized the trip was very insistent that we tell any law enforcement we were just with a couple friends. It is true that BLM land is open to camping around Quartzite to hundreds of individual campers but I would guess if you call BLM and tell them you have a large group you will run into the same laundry list that we have encountered. I hope I don't sound argumentative here, I truly want to find out who do I talk to?

Reactions: WrightRunner

Tom K

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Zürich, Switzerland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6JHR
I would like more information about how to work with the BLM. I am part of a Southern California group that has had to find private land to camp at because of the requirements they impose. We wanted to run the Mojave Trail and were told if there were going to be more than (I can't remember if it was 10?) vehicles we would have to tow a portable toilet. When we made the run the person who organized the trip was very insistent that we tell any law enforcement we were just with a couple friends. It is true that BLM land is open to camping around Quartzite to hundreds of individual campers but I would guess if you call BLM and tell them you have a large group you will run into the same laundry list that we have encountered. I hope I don't sound argumentative here, I truly want to find out who do I talk to?

For the Mojave run earlier this year, they were able to secure permits. Check with fj80toyman but if I recall, it mostly involved a lot of phone calls and faxes to the local blm office.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk