Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newport, RI, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Azbill
Member #

Hello everyone and thank you for following this thread. My name is Mark and I started this thread hoping someone with more information about an OTG2017 meet up would notice it and let everyone know where this year's event will be held. There have been almost 5000 views so there is definitely great interest in an event.

Jazzy13 posted the following questions and I will answer them the best I can:

1) How is the OTG info put out? SO FAR I HAVE NOT SEEN ANY INFO EXCEPT A LATE SEPTEMBER WEEKEND DATE

Does it have it's own thread or is it placed on the homepage? I HAVE NOT SEEN ANY INFORMATION ANY OTHER PLACE BESIDE THIS THREAD, IF ANYONE KNOWS ANYTHING PLEASE POST IT

2) Once tickets/sign-up open, how do I sign up? LAST YEAR CORRIE AND MICHAEL POSTED THE INFORMATION AND THE EVENT SOLD OUT IN 4 DAYS

Is it just replying to a thread...?

3) If there's a fee, what does it typically cover and include? LAST YEAR THE FEE WAS ABOUT $200 FOR MY WIFE AND I AND IT INCLUDED THE CAMPSITE, A TRAIL RUN, A GREAT TRITIP DINNER, BREAKFAST THE NEXT MORNING AND A SUPER FUN CAMPFIRE WITH SPONSOR'S GIVEAWAYS.

4) From your experience, is there anything you'd recommend members bring for the betterment of the group while at base camp? THEY DID A FANTASTIC JOB LAST YEAR SETTING THE WHOLE THING UP. I AM SURE IT WAS A LOT OF WORK.

Any info is appreciated! Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk[/QUOTE]

Thanks Mark D! Great info and guidance...thanks for taking the time! This helped shape my expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Deadpool_TRD

Mark D

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Whittier CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dickens
Member #

Hi all!

@Corrie and I have been discussing this year's OTG event quite a bit. We will have an official announcement soon. Thank you @Mark D for providing some answers.

This past year, Overland Bound has grown...a lot. We thought 2016 was a crazy year for growth, and then there was 2017. That growth has outpaced our ability to throw an event suitable to accommodate all the people who want to go. OTG this year will look a lot like last year, better, but about the same number of rigs and people. Final details of time and location will be announce within days. We have plans in 2018 to build out our event schedule, and hold more events while upholding the same level of quality so more people have the opportunity to attend an OTG event.

We will announce the OTG event tickets in the Members section of the forum. If there are still spaces available after the initial announcement, we will post the event in the Meetups section for the general public.

We hold a high standard in terms of execution. In addition to producing the event and all the activities, ticket sales go toward:
  1. OTG 2017 T-shirt
  2. OTG 2017 Patch
  3. Swag Bag with cool stuffs and things
  4. Check-in refreshments
  5. Morning Coffee and snacks
  6. Catered Meal Saturday
  7. Raffle Items (those not donated)
  8. There are also un-sexy things like liability insurance etc, which is something we insist on, and is...well, a insurance brokers idea of pay-dirt.
We are still finalizing this list, and have a few special things in mind. Just know, the list above is not final.

We will make an announcement in the next week or so. In the meantime we can field questions here as time permits.

Thanks all!

M
Please don't make it September 23! I know the world doesn't revolve around me but that would be the one weekend I can't make.

Mark D

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Whittier CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dickens
Member #

Wow, what a great group of people...this is why we had so much fun at lest year's event.

Reactions: SLO Rob

SAC-CA-Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dublin, CA
Member #

Hi all!

@Corrie and I have been discussing this year's OTG event quite a bit. We will have an official announcement soon. Thank you @Mark D for providing some answers.

We will make an announcement in the next week or so. In the meantime we can field questions here as time permits.

Thanks all!

M
Thanks @Michael for the update. I spoke with @Corrie at the last Pleasanton meetup. If you guys need help with anything leading up to it or days before let me know. I'm just down the street! Have a great trip this weekend.

MBroenkow

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sonoma County, CA
Member #

"Limited to about 60 vehicles".

This is really going to make this year's event a lot more personable, for those that make the cut. It sounds like Off The Grid is a victim of its own success. Although, after looking at the videos from lasts year's monster-sized event I think Michael and Corrie made the smartest choice. It looked like the campground was jammed packed with rigs and the trail up Bald Mountain looked like 405 afternoon traffic, which seems to defeat the purpose of this kind of gathering.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I would like to participate in this years OTG 2017. If this is going to be limited to the number of participants, I'm hoping (for selfish reasons), they give Benefactors, early sign up. Do to the possible conflict with Overland Expo East, I have not purchased tickets. I look forward to the dates being confirmed. With luck, I will be able to attend both OTG 2017 and Overland Expo East 2017...

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
I'm new here so forgive if I don't understand? I've read the entire thread and what I'm getting is that this is an event coming up for this site with almost 6400 members and it's limited to 60 rigs?

Socal Hillbilly

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clairemont
Member #

I'm new here so forgive if I don't understand? I've read the entire thread and what I'm getting is that this is an event coming up for this site with almost 6400 members and it's limited to 60 rigs?
It will likely be but only because of the location its held at.

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Maybe another location ? I'm actually surprised at the lack of response from the site mods and or owners.
Michael has responded recently in this very thread, in addition to a response during the live Q&A session on YouTube about a week or so ago. From what I remember they are still working on details for this year's OTG rally while considering the fact that OB has blown up in membership over the last year. It sounded like OTG this year is likely to be limited in size like it was last year, and that going forward they are considering different event(s) that will accommodate more people. The main struggle with the current location seems to be the amount of vehicles that can be responsibly supported on the trails

for slightly more details there's also this post
https://overlandbound.com/forums/goto/post?id=127465#post-127465

and a follow up from Michael in this post
https://overlandbound.com/forums/goto/post?id=127552#post-127552

Reactions: MBroenkow

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
Thanks brien, I guess there's more interest in participating than anyone knew. Although I'm new here I consider this a quality site. The responses and posts from folks here, not just members, is interesting and informative. That they would want to meet in a hosted event, to connect and enjoy like minded people doesn't surprise me. I offer my help in any way needed. I think others will offer also. My 2 cts.

Mark D

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Whittier CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dickens
Member #

Maybe another location ? I'm actually surprised at the lack of response from the site mods and or owners.
An extreme amount of work goes into planning a gathering like this. Last year's event was held at Camp Edison which is a private campground on private property. Getting permission from the government to hold something like this on public land is almost impossible. Michael and Corrie are super nice people who go out of their way to make sure people taken care of. They also have jobs and family obligations so I am sure that if plans for this year do not materialize it is due to the overwhelming size of the task.

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

Don't forget that it's a world wide community. More then half of those 6400 are US based but for people like me from Europe or those from Australia don't have much hope in the first place to be going.

Taking more then 60 rigs and more then double the people will be getting way to large anyway. You can't go driving around with 200 vehicles. Meetups like thst would have to be stationary and that is not what OTG is about.

Sent from my SM-G903F using OB Talk mobile app