Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kingston Springs TN
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Eisenmenger
Member #

For everyone thinking about attending. Is CB going to be the only way for comms or is anyone using 2 way radios?
I am only asking because I am planning to attend but don't want to get there without any way of finding anyone other than at the campsite that evening.

Reactions: Dave_brez

eloist

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Nashville
Cell phones generally work up there. I'm sure you could trade numbers with some guys and text when you arrive.
For everyone thinking about attending. Is CB going to be the only way for comms or is anyone using 2 way radios?
I am only asking because I am planning to attend but don't want to get there without any way of finding anyone other than at the campsite that evening.

Reactions: Dave_brez

Dave_brez

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Antioch, TN
Member #

I carry 2 ways with me in addition to cb. I’m fine with either, but I can personally vouch that you’ll have a lot more fun if you have some kind of comms. I have sprint and don’t get service up there most of the time.

I don’t need definite answers regarding attendance. If you’re not sure you can make it don’t worry, but feel free to just show up whenever.

bval

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Nashville, TN
Member #

I'm a maybe. Gotta get a few things on my schedule ironed out before I'm confident on that weekend. If I am there I'll have my CB as well as some handheld FRS/GMRS two-ways but the range of those handhelds is nothing to write home about. I also rarely leave them on when I'm parked in camp. In the past I've found the easiest way to meet up with folks showing up later is to just let everybody know where the planned camp spots are each night, and one way or another, everybody meets up in the evening. Depending on how many folks attend it may be wise to use a group site or one of the designated campgrounds. Some of the backcountry sites can be tricky with a lot of rigs.

Reactions: jaycub

Dave_brez

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Antioch, TN
Member #

I'm a maybe. Gotta get a few things on my schedule ironed out before I'm confident on that weekend. If I am there I'll have my CB as well as some handheld FRS/GMRS two-ways but the range of those handhelds is nothing to write home about. I also rarely leave them on when I'm parked in camp. In the past I've found the easiest way to meet up with folks showing up later is to just let everybody know where the planned camp spots are each night, and one way or another, everybody meets up in the evening. Depending on how many folks attend it may be wise to use a group site or one of the designated campgrounds. Some of the backcountry sites can be tricky with a lot of rigs.
Sounds good @bval . Hope to see your pretty face and your pretty rig.

This site should be plenty big. We did the tacomaworld meet up in March in the same spot. Had close to 40 rigs and plenty of space.

ExpeditionDriven

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spring Hill, TN
Member #

Sorry to say but I can't make this trip. I am going to be in ATL for a wedding that weekend. I am however hoping to make it to @Jrfelkins day trip this coming Saturday. Anyone else going to that? He set up a Rally Point for those interested.

Dave_brez

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Antioch, TN
Member #

I'm in! Schedule worked out. Please add me to the rally point or whatever you're using to coordinate and I'll see y'all there!
Got you.
Speaking of which, I haven't made a rally point yet. If someone want's to make one and plan a convoy Friday afternoon, I might join you. Otherwise I'll plan on meeting everyone at Neville Bay.

We should be able to make a fire (weather and park permitting) if anyone wants to lug some wood from home or the woods.

I forgot to mention there's also a boat launch if anyone has a boat.

EisenYota

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kingston Springs TN
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Eisenmenger
Member #

Got you.
Speaking of which, I haven't made a rally point yet. If someone want's to make one and plan a convoy Friday afternoon, I might join you. Otherwise I'll plan on meeting everyone at Neville Bay.

We should be able to make a fire (weather and park permitting) if anyone wants to lug some wood from home or the woods.

I forgot to mention there's also a boat launch if anyone has a boat.
I think I might be able to help on fire wood. It's pine so it will burn fast, I will load my wifes FJ with all I can. However, I will lug it but not splitting all of it lol.0821181647.jpeg

bval

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Nashville, TN
Member #

I think I might be able to help on fire wood. It's pine so it will burn fast, I will load my wifes FJ with all I can. However, I will lug it but not splitting all of it lol.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but bringing anything other than locally-bought, heat-treated firewood into the park is a no-go. LBL, and all National Parks, Forests, Recreation Areas, etc prohibit it to prevent the spread of insects:
https://www.landbetweenthelakes.us/alerts-notices/
(all the way at the bottom)

The easiest way around this is for everyone who joins us to buy a bundle or two or heat-treated firewood at a gas station near the park on their way in. If everyone does this we'll have more than enough for two nights of raging campfires. Bonus, it's already split!

You should plan to stop and top up on fuel on your way in anyway. Nobody wants to be the guy or gal who ran out of gas on the trail.

(If all of this is news to you, you can read more about the problem here.)