New Mexico Overlanders

• HTML tutorial

Runner505

Rank 0

Traveler I

Thanks!

I’ve got a TRD off road 4Runner.

New to the overland scene. I work for the airforce as a wild land firefighter. So looking to have some fun and see the places I get to during the summer months, but on my time frames without fire chasing us all the time

Reactions: Richie G

Brian Glendenning

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Socorro, NM
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Glendenning
Member #

Has anyone ever driven the road between the Gila and Aldo Leopold wilderness areas in the Gila National Forest recently? I know somebody who says that's a very pretty drive, but he hasn't driven it this century (last century he said it could be rough but was always passable).

Dualsportrider

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Rizzo
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA
There any good roads around Angel Fire NM? Heading there labor day week for 7 days. Will have the Tundra since I am pulling the trailer, leaving the FJ home. But has high clearance and it's 4x4. BFG T/A KO2....

Richie G

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

There any good roads around Angel Fire NM? Heading there labor day week for 7 days. Will have the Tundra since I am pulling the trailer, leaving the FJ home. But has high clearance and it's 4x4. BFG T/A KO2....
I can’t think of any particular roads, but there are a lot of forest roads in that immediate area you could explore. Red River isn’t too far away and there are some fun trails that start in town. Check out Greenie Peak and Goose Lake.

Quantum

Rank 0

Traveler I

New member here, just started to get into offroading/overlanding. Thinking of heading up to Valle Vidal this weekend. Anyone have any recommendations on other long roads in the area to link up?

Reactions: Overland 505

Utilityman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque NM
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Raether
Member #

Wow that looks fun. Any fish to be had at Goose lake? My wifes 5th gen 4Runner is still lacking tires as I'm savin for suspension and a few odds and ends. She's a bit picky about what suspension will do to the ride as it's her DD/kid hauler. Unfortunately for my pocket book OME just isn't going to cut it for her. But my 3ed gen 4Runner is good to go. I'm goin on the next trip!

Richie G

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Wow that looks fun. Any fish to be had at Goose lake? My wifes 5th gen 4Runner is still lacking tires as I'm savin for suspension and a few odds and ends. She's a bit picky about what suspension will do to the ride as it's her DD/kid hauler. Unfortunately for my pocket book OME just isn't going to cut it for her. But my 3ed gen 4Runner is good to go. I'm goin on the next trip!
The fishing is great up to a year or two after it’s stocked. It was stocked last year I believe and about a month ago. This past trip my 2 buddies and I caught aroind 30 fish between the 3 of us. Problem is it’s heavily fished and people will keep all the fish they catch. I wanna go back up once more this year before the snow hits simply to fish!

Last edited:

Utilityman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque NM
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Raether
Member #

The fishing is great up to a year or two after it’s stocked. It was stocked last year I believe and about a month ago. This past trip my 2 buddies and I caught aroind 30 fish between the 3 of us. Problem is it’s heavily fished and people will keep all the fish they catch. I wanna go back up once more this year before the snow hits simply to fish!
Good to know, I'll need to get up there soon. Are the camping spots spread out or is it all centrally located. I like to camp just with the group I'm with and not be by others if possible. I'm sure most of us share the same interests in camping spots.

Richie G

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I’m definitely the same while camping. Far away from others as possible. The camping spots there are spread out and basically identified by fire pits. Camping there in the dead of summer is a perfect getaway from the heat of the city.

Terex

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Taos, NM