Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Socorro, NM
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Glendenning
Member #

There was a Jeep rollover death on the Goose Lake road on Sunday, Sept. 2. A 63 yr. old Oklahoma man was killed and his grandson medivac'ed to ABQ. Cops say both ejected, neither wearing seat belts. About 4 years ago a 23 yr. old TX woman was killed and her brother injured in an ATV rollover accident on the same trail. Be careful out there.

https://www.taosnews.com/stories/law-enforcement-investigating-fatal-crash-near-red-river,51462
Is the road generally difficult/gnarly, or were the people involved likely imprudent or unlucky somehow?

Terex

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Taos, NM
Perfectly safe if you're even moderately cautious. I don't know where the accidents occurred, but only a couple of possibilities.

I must add a real tragedy in any event and a cautionary tale to those who venture off-road. You just can't treat these areas like you would an amusement park.

Last edited:

Terex

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Taos, NM
Awesome - thanks! We were planning to camp at the same campground over the weekend but it was raining. Any issue with the road?
It's called "Rocky Canyon" for a reason. When we were there, most of the roadway up on the hills was smooth and well maintained and the lower areas were chock-a-block with rocks. If I remember correctly you can get to the campground OK, but in the immediate area and beyond it's really a rock fest. I drove our Grand Cherokee Overland with pneumatic suspension (about 11" clearance) and didn't rub bottom, but I was cautious. My big concern at the time were the OE all weather tires. Puncturing a tire is a real possibility on parts of this road. If you've got robust tires and air down a bit, that should lower the risk of tire damage. Coming up from the south, the place we camped is just on the right as you're coming down the hill before the campground. I thought it was a much nicer spot than the campground itself.

Terex

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Taos, NM
So I’m off every Saturday during October. Any one want to take a day and explore for fall foliage up north?
Don't wait too long or you could miss it. The aspens are already turning on the mountains here in Taos. I just went camping in CO and drove from Dolores to Telluride over Lizard Head Pass. The leaves up there were incredible.

Reactions: Overland 505

Richie G

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

What area of New Mexico.. any one near the ship rock area
My folks live in Farmington and I’m in that area often.

If we can get enough folks to express interest we can discuss place and day. I was thinking some of the forest roads south of Chama or forest road 144 from Espanola to the Fenton Lake area.

Reactions: Overland 505

Richie G

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

So did anyone attend this recent trip? Pics? Sorry I couldn’t make it. My truck has been acting up a bit and I don’t trust it right now on a longer drive.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Interesting article doesn't sound like it will be closed permanently but you never now.

I wonder if there is enough OLB membership in the area to jump in and help the groups that are working on this problem? Our Boots On The Ground program that we are rolling out might help. If any one is interested in please message me @Kent R