Launch Member

Influencer II

Concord, California, United States
First Name
Barron
Last Name
Flanders
Member #

Yeah I was going to try and get a group shot at the end but the road was too small. I think I got a few of the whole group though. I got home safe but the LR3 has a funny smell kind of like something burning but not like I've ever smelled before. I keep checking and can't find a source. I'll wash it in the morning maybe it's the mud.

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

Last edited:

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

New wheeling spot, check.
New wheeling buddies, check.

It was great meeting everyone today! The weather was fantastic, and the trails offered more than I was expecting. Nothing hardcore, but not just a graded road either. The amount of burnt manzanita was rather impressive. So impressive it broke the antenna mount for my HAM radio. The gate at the Northern Staging Area was locked so we just made our way south and came across some interesting locations.

Most notably were the large storage container in the morning, and a small mud pit later in the afternoon. Around the container you could find years-old refuse everywhere you looked. It's always sad to see an otherwise great looking area detracted by litter like that. The mud pit on the other hand was loads of fun. Just about everyone got at least one pass through the slick stuff. It dried quickly on the hood and quickly flaked off like dead leaves. I think this is the smell the Bear has in his truck. It can get pretty bad once it hits things like the engine and exhaust.

There will be many more trips out there so if you missed this one, be sure to look out for the next. Here's a gpx file of the day's travel.

Attachments

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

New wheeling spot, check.
New wheeling buddies, check.

It was great meeting everyone today! The weather was fantastic, and the trails offered more than I was expecting. Nothing hardcore, but not just a graded road either. The amount of burnt manzanita was rather impressive. So impressive it broke the antenna mount for my HAM radio. The gate at the Northern Staging Area was locked so we just made our way south and came across some interesting locations.

Most notably were the large storage container in the morning, and a small mud pit later in the afternoon. Around the container you could find years-old refuse everywhere you looked. It's always sad to see an otherwise great looking area detracted by litter like that. The mud pit on the other hand was loads of fun. Just about everyone got at least one pass through the slick stuff. It dried quickly on the hood and quickly flaked off like dead leaves. I think this is the smell the Bear has in his truck. It can get pretty bad once it hits things like the engine and exhaust.

There will be many more trips out there so if you missed this one, be sure to look out for the next. Here's a gpx file of the day's travel.
It was good meeting you @Disco2Guy . I was pretty impressed with your rig and the othersthat were there. Look forward to the next meetup

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

I can't get this to show in BaseCamp. :anguished:
I was able to import it into Garmin Connect. Weird.

Last edited:

BEAR

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Concord, California, United States
First Name
Barron
Last Name
Flanders
Member #

My Day started out with a large cup o' coffee and I was on the road. I took why 37 to 29 and came through Yountville and Saint Helena. I thought that traffic was a little heavy, especially for this area but then it occurred that all these winery's I was passing weren't just decorations. I was driving amongst all the wine freaks and tasters.

I got to the north gate at Knoxville at the exact same time Brenton, Pedram, Will and chris were pulling in. It was kind of creepy how good of timing that was!!

Stony126, Northern_XS and Nick in his newly purchased Pathfinder met up with us after a night of camping. After some short introductions we were off.

Not far into the trail we got to our first trail closure. This was on the northern side where there was a lot of trials on the map that we wanted to explore.

This is where it set in, the scale of how big the Valley Fire was. The fire literally ran through here. It burned over 76,000 acres and destroyed 1,955 structures and killed four civilians. It took
Total Fire Personnel: 248
Total Fire Engines: 15
Total Fire crews: 10
Total Helicopters: 3
Total Dozers: 2

to contain the fire.

We turned around and made our way down the trail heading south. Eventually we got to the bottom of a valley. Mike advised Pedram that he should probably leave his full size pickup because of some tight switch backs. Will in his Range Rover offered up a seat to him and all of us then stumbled upon a Conex Box with some random stuff in it and other debris. Brenton scouted up the trail ahead and deemed it passable so we kept going. Manifest Destiny!!!

Did any one want some custom pin striping from mother nature? well we got it. The torched Manzanita wasn't gentle. After climbing to the top of this ridge we were gifted with the sight of one of the most beautiful valleys I have ever seen!!!

After traversing some more terra firm we broke for lunch and everyone pulled out one of their trustee hoagies. After lunch and libations we had a very informative class on winching. Brenton hooked his winch up to the rear of my trustee steed and winched it up... well it was pretty flat but thats not the point.

I'm not entirely sure if this is where the hill climb fits into the timeline but lets just say it is. At this point we're back on the trail and headed to the mud pit. I take point and find a nice little hill climb. I go up it with what seems little effort from the LR3. Everyone else follows. Nick takes the hill in his Pathfinder with a five speed manual transmission and makes it to the top and three wheels it, loses some momentum and traction and can't go any further. Without hesitation he backs down the hill like a pro. I had no idea this was his first time out driving off road. Nick you're a natural my friend. Keep it up!!
Click image for video

We then make it to "the Mud Pit" and have a little fun.
Nick decided to take the "pit" less traveled and got a little stuck. After some rocking back and fourth he got himself out.

After this we made our way to the south gate where we would air up if needed and say our good bye's. This was a really fun trip. We had 8 rigs and then 7 when Pedram parked his truck. It was nice to see each others set up's and learn from another. Thank you to everyone who joined.

P.S.- On my way home I traffic on 680 was a little slow in one lane so I looked ahead and saw this driving on the shoulder.

This is a series I Land Rover. Pretty much the one that started it all. I pulled up next to him and waved and honked and got a wave back. I tried to cruise with him but he couldn't go over 50mph and it was hard for me to not keep up.

Link to all my photos.
https://nclrbear.smugmug.com/Knoxville-Trip-42416/i-497v5r8

Link to upload your own.
https://nclrbear.smugmug.com/upload/C2dCh6/Knoxville

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

yes Mike, Nick and Mark camped there. There is a nice camp ground near the south entrance there.
I'll have to check this out this summer, as I'm working every Saturday for the next five weeks. I wonder how windy it was Saturday night up there. It got pretty windy in Napa Valley on Sunday.