Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Something not talked about yet is communications while on this trip. Hope all will think about having even a cheap handheld VHF-UHF radio along. If most do, think we should be fine. Vance.

Reactions: Ubiety

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I am thinking of bringing my Jeep Cherokee, “The Red Baron” on this adventure. After all the work I put into this vehicle, time to play! Vance.

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Something not talked about yet is communications while on this trip. Hope all will think about having even a cheap handheld VHF-UHF radio along. If most do, think we should be fine. Vance.
My Jeep has a ham radio with aprs, some HTs and a Garmin Rino that I am pretty sure does GMRS; I could help “translate” between ham and GMRS If I am remembering the Rino’s capabilities correctly. Will bring the homebrew iridium messenger for fun and/or emergency. I plan on playing/experimenting with aprs on this trip. If you are interested send me a note; I have a few spare parts and may be able to help get your rig on aprs for the trip.

Alerts/notifications seem to be broken for me so I’m probably missing a lot around here...

Reactions: M Rose

SCS

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
S
Member #

I was wondering if I needed a Discovery Pass for the WABDR and the answer is apparently yes. Found answer on Touratech\'s pretty decent WABDR FAQ.
Anybody planning on bringing a chainsaw?
I think we will head down Sunday afternoon and spend the night in a hotel; Seattle-ish folks let me know if you want to caravan.

Sitting here sick on a blustery afternoon. Napping and watching overlanding and WABRD vids.
Thanks for the heads up on the trail pass, I didn’t know this. As for a chainsaw, depends on which rig we take if I bring mine or not.
I'll have a 12 in electric chainsaw with me.

Reactions: Ubiety and M Rose

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I do have a little Baofang UV5-R. I don't really know how to use it yet, but I do have it.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

When we meet up I may need someone that is knowledgeable to instruct me on the Baofang, I want to get my HAM license but it has been on the bottom of the list till now.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Yeah I don't have any comms at all yet. Should I get something cheap for the trip? No HAM license yet and I doubt I'll have it before we roll.
I think the cheapest way to go is either a CB radio or FRS, the little hand held jobs.
For me I have a CB, I have 4 FRS and I have a UV5-R that does UHF and VHF. I think I can get GMRS on the UV5-R, but for both HAM and GMRS I can't transmit as of now. I hope to change that.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Yeah I don't have any comms at all yet. Should I get something cheap for the trip? No HAM license yet and I doubt I'll have it before we roll.
Ham license is easy to get... took me one week to get my Technician License. GRMS is even easier... just pay the $60.00. CB is free and if this is still a go, I will have one or two extra ones to toss around... but the preferred method will be Ham.