Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Don’t want to speak out of turn but not having your ham license is not a big deal to me; or a deal at all. I can loan you a handheld to listen on and we could link you with a ham via unlicensed walkie talkie to speak ham for you.

Anybody else have an issue getting on the ham bands? Pretty sure I have a handful of those generic walkie talkies and a couple ham handhelds that I could loan out for the trip.

Reactions: CoryB

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I also have generic FMRS radios, and a couple of unused CB’s that I’ve rigged into mobile units.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I was wondering if I needed a Discovery Pass for the WABDR and the answer is apparently yes. Found answer on Touratech's pretty decent WABDR FAQ.
Anybody planning on bringing a chainsaw?
I think we will head down Sunday afternoon and spend the night in a hotel; Seattle-ish folks let me know if you want to caravan.

Sitting here sick on a blustery afternoon. Napping and watching overlanding and WABRD vids.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I was wondering if I needed a Discovery Pass for the WABDR and the answer is apparently yes. Found answer on Touratech's pretty decent WABDR FAQ.
Anybody planning on bringing a chainsaw?
I think we will head down Sunday afternoon and spend the night in a hotel; Seattle-ish folks let me know if you want to caravan.

Sitting here sick on a blustery afternoon. Napping and watching overlanding and WABRD vids.
Thanks for the heads up on the trail pass, I didn’t know this. As for a chainsaw, depends on which rig we take if I bring mine or not.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Thank you @oldmopars! I spoke with my wife and she thinks it would be a great time. She is concerned about car sickness and the bumps; can anybody summarize the “bumpiness” of the route and the typical speed of the group? Assuming a snail’s pace through anything too rough but are there smooth(er)/straight(er) spots that she might enjoy more?

I’ll research the route this evening and try to answer my questions. Wanting to RSVP but need to make sure that my wife will enjoy herself.
Well I am driving an older solid axle Suburban, so not too fast. I will also have my wife with me, she has the same issues. I’m sure if we need to, we can split into a slower and fast group to keep everyone happy.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Well I am driving an older solid axle Suburban, so not too fast. I will also have my wife with me, she has the same issues. I’m sure if we need to, we can split into a slower and fast group to keep everyone happy.
Thanks @oldmopars ! I had previously seen your comment about bringing your wife and you better believe that made it into my "presentation" of the trip to my wife. "And there will be at least one other lady on the trip honey" :)
From what I can see day 2 looks like the bumpiest but it also looks like there are straight/smooth pieces all along the way to make up for the bumps ;)

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thanks @oldmopars ! I had previously seen your comment about bringing your wife and you better believe that made it into my "presentation" of the trip to my wife. "And there will be at least one other lady on the trip honey" :)
From what I can see day 2 looks like the bumpiest but it also looks like there are straight/smooth pieces all along the way to make up for the bumps ;)
There might be three women at least on this trip as @KRose will be dragging me along side her as we explore the WABDR with you guys.

TravelingDog

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Chicago, Illinois
Member #

Hello all, I have been trying to make it out to Washington (I live in Illinois) for the past couple years but keep getting sidetracked into other areas of exploration (a bit of the TAT, bighorns, black hills, medicine bow...). I was planning to drive straight out there this summer to avoid the other distractions - not that they were bad ones :) I was looking into doing the WABDR in some form and wondered if I could come along.
I drive a Subaru Outback (lift and a/t tires) and pull a homemade teardrop camper. I'm also new to driving anything more technical. If this setup would not be a good fit I will stick to exploring other areas. However it would be great to learn from a group. I also have a protective and adventurous dog who stays on leash.
Peace, Art

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
@TravelingDog there are tons of videos on YouTube about the WABDR, check out section 2 as that looks to be the roughest territory. I think your car would be just fine but don't know how it would handle the trailer on the steep/rocky sections since I don't pull a trailer.

Here is a good WABDR series.
Anybody up for this?

Last edited:
Reactions: TravelingDog

TravelingDog

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Chicago, Illinois
Member #

@TravelingDog there are tons of videos on YouTube about the WABDR, check out section 2 as that looks to be the roughest territory. I think your car would be just fine but don't know how it would handle the trailer on the steep/rocky sections since I don't pull a trailer.

Here is a good WABDR series.
Anybody up for this?
Thanks for the video series. I didn't come across that one. I watched some other videos/read some blogs and found similar views about the route. The trailer is so light that it hasn't been a problem on past trips. I know the car will do just fine. I'm thinking I could just bypass something if the situation gets bad but it looks all manageable.

Reactions: Ubiety and M Rose

Haust

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
D
Last Name
W
Member #

I drive a Subaru Outback (lift and a/t tires) and pull a homemade teardrop camper. I'm also new to driving anything more technical.
I have driven the WABDR and I don’t think this would be a good fit, unfortunately. When I went through a few years ago, there were several areas that a trailer would either be very dangerous or incredibly annoying. There were also a lot of areas that may challenge a Subaru. A lot of very deep ruts and washouts, for example.

TravelingDog

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Chicago, Illinois
Member #

I have driven the WABDR and I don’t think this would be a good fit, unfortunately. When I went through a few years ago, there were several areas that a trailer would either be very dangerous or incredibly annoying. There were also a lot of areas that may challenge a Subaru. A lot of very deep ruts and washouts, for example.
Thanks for the advice. I just watched the video series that Greg suggested. Then I found another one where Subarus did the route last year. There were some deep ruts that would make me nervous. The Subarus did just fine by being careful but they weren't pulling a trailer with less clearance. I might just explore other trails in Washington this summer.

Reactions: Haust

JackA

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Orondo, WA, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Thanks for the advice. I just watched the video series that Greg suggested. Then I found another one where Subarus did the route last year. There were some deep ruts that would make me nervous. The Subarus did just fine by being careful but they weren't pulling a trailer with less clearance. I might just explore other trails in Washington this summer.
We live on the east side of the Cascades, about mid-state. Let me know as you approach the Cascades and we will offer some suggestions. There are many hundreds of miles of decently maintained Forest Service Roads that you will enjoy.

TravelingDog

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Chicago, Illinois
Member #

We live on the east side of the Cascades, about mid-state. Let me know as you approach the Cascades and we will offer some suggestions. There are many hundreds of miles of decently maintained Forest Service Roads that you will enjoy.
Much appreciated! I’ve been saving potential hikes in that area on all trails and hope to get in a few weeks of exploration before moving on to the coast. I’ll get to that WABDR one of these days.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Much appreciated! I’ve been saving potential hikes in that area on all trails and hope to get in a few weeks of exploration before moving on to the coast. I’ll get to that WABDR one of these days.
Maybe detach the trailer and find a safe place to take the Suby on some rougher/steeper roads and see how you like that - if its not problem give it a try with the trailer when you are ready. Maybe a local offroad park with a steep section that is safe to back down if needed. Make sure to disable traction control, take it in slowly in low gear, etc. My main concern would be with the CVT transmission and whether it can deliver power in a tricky spot; add a trailer to that and it could get sticky. Dunno, go see if it will work in a safe/recoverable place and maybe we'll see you in June? ;)

Got my first Subaru about six years ago; a WRX, what a great road car, fun! Unfortunately it had a disagreement with physics and lost. Fortunately it turned into my JK Wrangler :) Had been wanting a more overland capable vehicle to replace the aging truck and, honestly, was ready for more "lumbering" and less "zipping". :)

Reactions: TravelingDog

TravelingDog

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Chicago, Illinois
Member #

Maybe detach the trailer and find a safe place to take the Suby on some rougher/steeper roads and see how you like that - if its not problem give it a try with the trailer when you are ready. Maybe a local offroad park with a steep section that is safe to back down if needed. Make sure to disable traction control, take it in slowly in low gear, etc. My main concern would be with the CVT transmission and whether it can deliver power in a tricky spot; add a trailer to that and it could get sticky. Dunno, go see if it will work in a safe/recoverable place and maybe we'll see you in June? ;)

Got my first Subaru about six years ago; a WRX, what a great road car, fun! Unfortunately it had a disagreement with physics and lost. Fortunately it turned into my JK Wrangler :) Had been wanting a more overland capable vehicle to replace the aging truck and, honestly, was ready for more "lumbering" and less "zipping". :)
This is how I've expanded my adventuring last summer. I set up base camps in WY and SD and got myself into some fun spots. I ended up in one place where everyone else had those atv 4-wheelers. The trailer and gear only weigh about 5-600 pounds so it's pretty light. It definitely feels different when the trailer catches something differently than the car. I had a Wrangler until I couldn't accept the mpg and some other issues and then changed to the Subaru as my daily driver/adventurer. It has served me well around the city and still gets me halfway across the country to those mountains out west. I do miss that Wrangler every so often :)

Reactions: Ubiety

Haust

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
D
Last Name
W
Member #

It really is the trailer that would make me nervous, on that section. I have zero doubt that a Subaru could do it. They're goats with heated seats. :D

Reactions: M Rose and Ubiety

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

This is how I've expanded my adventuring last summer. I set up base camps in WY and SD and got myself into some fun spots. I ended up in one place where everyone else had those atv 4-wheelers. The trailer and gear only weigh about 5-600 pounds so it's pretty light. It definitely feels different when the trailer catches something differently than the car. I had a Wrangler until I couldn't accept the mpg and some other issues and then changed to the Subaru as my daily driver/adventurer. It has served me well around the city and still gets me halfway across the country to those mountains out west. I do miss that Wrangler every so often :)
If the trailer is all that is stopping you, just come. If needed I can yank the trailer behind my Suburban, won’t even feel it. I can hook up for the tricky spots and you do the rest.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I think the most challenging area is section 2. I was just through there twice this last summer/fall. It is rutted and can be a little muddy due to all the shade. However I went through it all in 2wd. I live just a few miles from Bethel Ridge and so I know what it looks like.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Hello all, I have been trying to make it out to Washington (I live in Illinois) for the past couple years but keep getting sidetracked into other areas of exploration (a bit of the TAT, bighorns, black hills, medicine bow...). I was planning to drive straight out there this summer to avoid the other distractions - not that they were bad ones :) I was looking into doing the WABDR in some form and wondered if I could come along.
I drive a Subaru Outback (lift and a/t tires) and pull a homemade teardrop camper. I'm also new to driving anything more technical. If this setup would not be a good fit I will stick to exploring other areas. However it would be great to learn from a group. I also have a protective and adventurous dog who stays on leash.
Peace, Art
TravelingDog,
I think you should be fine and hope you come on this adventure. Watch some of the great videos on YouTube and that should give you the information needed to decide if you could make it or not. I will help you pull your trailer if you need to have that help though any thing you feel uncomfortable pulling the trailer through. Vance.

Reactions: Ubiety