Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Just want to say that after we do the sections of the WABDR, from Carson, WA. to NWOR, I will be running the sections North to the Canadian border. I did the sections from Cashmere, WA. To Lake Chelan last June. There was one place that I could of used 4 wheel drive, had some tire slipping but In my 4Runner, I did the whole trip all in 2wd. Hope this helps. Vance.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Just want to say that after we do the sections of the WABDR, from Carson, WA. to NWOR, I will be running the sections North to the Canadian border. I did the sections from Cashmere, WA. To Lake Chelan last June. There was one place that I could of used 4 wheel drive, had some tire slipping but In my 4Runner, I did the whole trip all in 2wd. Hope this helps. Vance.
Are you planning on attending the Rally or hitting section 4 straightaway?

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
@4wheelspulling thank you for the kind offer! This will be my wife's first overlanding adventure and we may, or may not, go to NWOR or we may visit friends in Wenatchee or we may go home - depending upon her desire. If it were up to me I'd keep rolling with you :) We will just have to play it by ear - but being with a group of such gracious people will go a long ways :)

I'm planning on picking up some paper charts for the WABDR and vicinity. Recommendations?

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

Bilbo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MBN
@4wheelspulling thank you for the kind offer! This will be my wife's first overlanding adventure and we may, or may not, go to NWOR or we may visit friends in Wenatchee or we may go home - depending upon her desire. If it were up to me I'd keep rolling with you :) We will just have to play it by ear - but being with a group of such gracious people will go a long ways :)

I'm planning on picking up some paper charts for the WABDR and vicinity. Recommendations?
There is a Butler map specifically for the Washington BDR which you can find here: Butler Motorcycle Maps - Washington Backcountry Discovery Route (WABDR)
It is a good map for planning but I will supplement with Gaia or something similar.

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
There is a Butler map specifically for the Washington BDR which you can find here: Butler Motorcycle Maps - Washington Backcountry Discovery Route (WABDR)
It is a good map for planning but I will supplement with Gaia or something similar.
I’ll have Gaia and other unnamed nav software running on the iPad as well. I uploaded a gpx file to the thread a week or so ago and have continued to play with it. What are your thoughts on camp spots? Been checking out the route and adding waypoints for different spots that show up in Gaia. Any preferred spots? Campground or dispersed?

Bilbo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MBN
I had originally identified Walupt Lake as a good spot to camp and it is 93 miles from the starting point. I have not booked anything yet. What does everyone think about this spot? There are currently about 20 sites open and you have the option of reserving for a total cost of $27.75 for a night. Other options exist nearby and I know that some folks simply pull over and camp off the trail somewhere. Thoughts?

Reactions: Ubiety

Bilbo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MBN
Now that we have 8 rigs signed up, I was thinking about having a conference call to talk about logistics for the trip such as meals, gear, and campsites. Would y'all be interested in doing that -- I am think 30 minutes on a Sunday evening. Totally optional but I wanted to offer for those who like to plan :grinning:

Bilbo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MBN
I'm working on clearing the schedule. I would only be able to join Mon and Tue. Is that cool? Also no HAM. Is that required?
Whatever works for you. Happy to have you join for 2 days and we will work thru any comms challenges. We can relay via GMRS, hand signs, or something...

Bilbo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MBN
I was wondering if I needed a Discovery Pass for the WABDR and the answer is apparently yes. Found answer on Touratech's pretty decent WABDR FAQ.
Anybody planning on bringing a chainsaw?
I think we will head down Sunday afternoon and spend the night in a hotel; Seattle-ish folks let me know if you want to caravan.

Sitting here sick on a blustery afternoon. Napping and watching overlanding and WABRD vids.
Greg, let me do some research here to confirm which pass (or passes) are required. We will be starting in Gifford Pinchot National Forest which requires the Northwest Forest Pass (or the America The Beautiful Pass). The Northwest Forest Pass is for use on federal land; the Discover Pass on state land. (Can't we just have one pass to rule them all?!)

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I had originally identified Walupt Lake as a good spot to camp and it is 93 miles from the starting point. I have not booked anything yet. What does everyone think about this spot? There are currently about 20 sites open and you have the option of reserving for a total cost of $27.75 for a night. Other options exist nearby and I know that some folks simply pull over and camp off the trail somewhere. Thoughts?

Cool, I’ll continue to add campsites, etc., to the GPX. On vacation next week and hope to spend some time planning this trip. I’m open to conf call or whatever. We are fine with dispersed or campground but it would be nice to be together which may require reservations?

Anybody been on this road and know if there is an abundance of good/large dispersed spots?

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Greg, let me do some research here to confirm which pass (or passes) are required. We will be starting in Gifford Pinchot National Forest which requires the Northwest Forest Pass (or the America The Beautiful Pass). The Northwest Forest Pass is for use on federal land; the Discover Pass on state land. (Can't we just have one pass to rule them all?!)

I was kind of figuring that gettIng the federal would be the right thing to do. It’s on the list of things for next week. Thanks!
Mooltipass?

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Along with the Butler Maps( the response below ), go to REI, Sportsman,Cabelas, US. Forest service, and have the sections ready to look up the topographic maps that will give you everything in greater details.You can also load maps from off the internet, and go to Walmart, Office Depo, and the like and print the maps that you got off the Internet. I have and used Gaia Pro, and used my iPad for my trip. Vance.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Along with the Butler Maps( the response below ), go to REI, Sportsman,Cabelas, US. Forest service, and have the sections ready to look up the topographic maps that will give you everything in greater details.You can also load maps from off the internet, and go to Walmart, Office Depo, and the like and print the maps that you got off the Internet. I have and used Gaia Pro, and used my iPad for my trip. Vance.
I travel with Gaia and other nav apps on the iPad and downloaded maps. Just thought it would be good to have a set of paper maps just in case we get hit by an EMP or something ;)

TravelingDog

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Chicago, Illinois
Member #

TravelingDog,
I think you should be fine and hope you come on this adventure. Watch some of the great videos on YouTube and that should give you the information needed to decide if you could make it or not. I will help you pull your trailer if you need to have that help though any thing you feel uncomfortable pulling the trailer through. Vance.
Thanks for all the possitivity. This is a wonderful community!
The trailer is a trailex aluminum one and it has small wheels (12"). I've been trying to switch it out to axle-less (Timbren type) but the frame isn't set up for it according to Trailex and other mechanics I've talked to. It's deeper ruts that make me pause because of the low clearance. I'm thinking of tossing a tent in the car and parking the trailer for this stretch and picking it back up afterwards. My planning is getting slowed down by work busyness but I'm going to bump this up to the front of the pile :)

cevans2021

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler III

Edmonds, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I have to say this is definitely a trip I would love to take. For those who have run it before, do you think an un-lifted, all stock 97 Suburban can make the run? It does have the factory "off road" equipment (rear locker and skids). If she'll make the run, I'm definitely interested.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I have to say this is definitely a trip I would love to take. For those who have run it before, do you think an un-lifted, all stock 97 Suburban can make the run? It does have the factory "off road" equipment (rear locker and skids). If she'll make the run, I'm definitely interested.
I believe that @oldmopars is bringing his stock (?) suburban for the ride.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I believe that @oldmopars is bringing his stock (?) suburban for the ride.
Yes I am, and it is stock. It is a 3/4 ton so it is stout and sits a little higher than a 1/2 ton. It also has full skids and a G80 locker factory. But yes, all stock.
I think nearly any 4x4 can do it, just not a newer AWD “Crossover “. As long as it is truck based, it will be fine.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Yes! Come join the group! Vance.

Reactions: Bilbo and Ubiety