Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MBN
***Rally is delayed so we will modify this trip to exclude the Rally. Also adding more slots due to high level of interest. We will likely have a group that continues on to complete the whole BDR. Stay tuned for updates. *** We are exploring the first 3 sections of the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route on our way to the NW Overland Rally which begins on Thursday, June 18th. We'll start at the Bridge of the Gods early Monday morning on June 15th and cover approximately 1 section per day. We'll be stopping to take in the views of Mt. Adams and Mt. Rainier, do some short hikes, and camp in trucks or tents not far from the route. We'll cover anywhere from 60 to 130 miles per day. The last day, Thursday, will have a few different options for folks who prefer to fish, mountain bike, or hang out in Leavenworth.

View Rally Point
Last edited:

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

So, I am in. I have also done this on 2 wheels, but with a buddy. I get to do it again, only this time with my wife. BTW, section 2 is only a few miles from my house. At one point we exit out onto Wenas Rd. and that is where I live.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I’m a maybe... depends on what rig we take up to the NWOR, if I take the Bronco, probably not unless I get my transmission swap done by then... if we take @KRose rig, then it’s up to her.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Right now, I’m still not sure what vehicle I will bring. I have 3 that would work, with different comfort levels and abilities. My 2500 Dodge with my Alaskan camper, my 4Runner with my RTT, my Jeep Cherokee, “The Red Baron”, and use one of my ground tents! I built the later to do all my Overlanding trips and have been working on this project vehicle for 3 years. We will see, as I will hopefully get some shake down trips done with the Jeep and make sure it will be dependable. So what vehicle are you bringing for this trip for the sake of discussion? Vance.

Reactions: M Rose

Happy Buddha

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

University Place, WA, USA
First Name
BJ
Last Name
Herman
Member #

Right now, I’m still not sure what vehicle I will bring. I have 3 that would work, with different comfort levels and abilities. My 2500 Dodge with my Alaskan camper, my 4Runner with my RTT, my Jeep Cherokee, “The Red Baron”, and use one of my ground tents! I built the later to do all my Overlanding trips and have been working on this project vehicle for 3 years. We will see, as I will hopefully get some shake down trips done with the Jeep and make sure it will be dependable. So what vehicle are you bringing for this trip for the sake of discussion? Vance.
I’ll be taking the ZR2.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

My 1990 Suburban. And plenty of money for fuel.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
This sounds like a great trip and I am considering joining if you all will have me. Since this is midweek I'm not sure how it will work out; likely shove the kids over to the grandparents and bring my better half along for the ride??? What are your thoughts about being joined for one day from Ellensburgh to Cashmere? This would be easier to swing schedule-wise and I have been wanting to hit that section of road. Anyway, hoping something works out and would love to join you all for this adventure!

Assume a stock JK Wrangler would make it just fine?

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Love to have you join us. And a stock JK should be just fine. I using a stock Suburban.

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Thank you @oldmopars! I spoke with my wife and she thinks it would be a great time. She is concerned about car sickness and the bumps; can anybody summarize the “bumpiness” of the route and the typical speed of the group? Assuming a snail’s pace through anything too rough but are there smooth(er)/straight(er) spots that she might enjoy more?

I’ll research the route this evening and try to answer my questions. Wanting to RSVP but need to make sure that my wife will enjoy herself.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Attached GPX tracks and waypoints for the trip. Downloaded latest WABDR info and trimmed out Cashmere to CA; left in all their waypoints along our route. Added the waypoints from the locations tab for this trip; these waypoint’s icons are the numbers 0 through 5, 0 is at the Bridge of the Gods and 5 at the rally/endpoint N of Leavenworth. Tracks are colored differently per day and the bypasses are yellow. Yeah, excited ;)

GPX viewer

Attachments

Bilbo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MBN
I'll be driving my 2016 Toyota Tundra

SCS

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
S
Member #

I'm working on clearing the schedule. I would only be able to join Mon and Tue. Is that cool? Also no HAM. Is that required?