Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

this is the first time I've really stood back and looked at the jeep . It's getting to look like what I have in my head definitely can't wait to get the sliders and fenders built. Going to be moving it over to my dad's house because my buddy just has too much stuff going on in his shop but it'll work out for the better anyway because my Dad's getting on in his age and can't do all the things that he wants to around his house. So while I'm over there getting prodjects done for hin I will be able to work on it a couple hours here and there will be a lot easier than trying to find a half a day or a full day to go to the shop to work on it

20180531_092158.jpg 20180531_092145.jpg 20180531_092123.jpg

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
this is the first time I've really stood back and looked at the jeep . It's getting to look like what I have in my head definitely can't wait to get the sliders and fenders built. Going to be moving it over to my dad's house because my buddy just has too much stuff going on in his shop but it'll work out for the better anyway because my Dad's getting on in his age and can't do all the things that he wants to around his house. So while I'm over there getting prodjects done for hin I will be able to work on it a couple hours here and there will be a lot easier than trying to find a half a day or a full day to go to the shop to work on it

View attachment 57818 View attachment 57819 View attachment 57820
It gets better looking every time you post.

Sent from my SM-G960U using OB Talk mobile app

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

been super busy at my dad's but today had a extra hour and got the rear shock tower in .20180612_152112.jpg think i figured out the front shock mounts , I'll just use some f250 mounts with some extra plating . ran out of time but will hopefully get the front shock on next week
20180612_151239.jpg

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Hanging out in pops shop I decided to take a crack at a little woodworking and played around with the lathe. Never been much into it but with him having a full woodshop i figured it would be a good way to spend a little extra time with him and learn some new stuff . 20180823_140152.jpg

I had to get my hands a little dirty so I cut some sheet metal and got the shock hoop placement and motor mount reinforcement figured out . 20180823_154935.jpg 20180823_154955.jpg
Next time I'll hopefully get the welder out and melt some metal

Will I Am

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Layton, Utah
Member #

When I say duel cases I am speaking about duel transfer cases. It allows me to essentially put it in 4 low twice to keep the tires moving at a extremely slow speed making crawling over large obstacles easier .
Oh yeah that is why I keep getting bugged by the Crawler builders for my old Tacoma they tell me it has the divorced type transfer case and they want it, So now that makes sense easier to use I suppose.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

small update got the shock mount tacked into place and decided I need to move the front axle forward 2 more inches . Once I'm sure everything cycles properly I will burn it all in and plate everything20180906_132007.jpg

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

oh and one more upgrade found the old knuckle buster my dad had on it when he wheeled ithdr_00854_0.jpg

but sitting here looking and my ever growing to do list and the time and money involved with it the thought keeps creeping up in my mind of just selling off the jeep and walking away from my automotive hobby for a while till I get a house and have my own place to work on stuff . Kids are getting older and more Involved with school , all our extra money is going to house saving , just not the same amount of free time to spend burning the midnight oil wrenching . We will see , I would hate to abandon something i have put so much time and effort into but if i could find the right buyer that would contine on with the project it may be worth it in the long run .

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

shock towers are almost done just need a bit more welding and some paint , had to get creative on the braces on drivers side due to how long the shocks are .hdr_00858_0.jpg hdr_00859_0.jpg

got the front axle slod forward another 2 inches , made the shackle angle much better
20180920_132141.jpg 20180920_132148.jpg

also got the wood for the bed all tounge and grooved 20180920_135850.jpg

a rather productive day

Reactions: Motohead1

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

This is amazing

thanks man , it's a odd concept either people like it or think it's a giant waste of two rigs . hopefully it will function like I planned when it's all done. I'm definitely getting on the home stretch with it so I'm hoping within a month or so it'll be back to driving and moving on its own again

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

more of the major projects to get to
*pull the rear t case and modify the shift rail and install the twin sticks

* finish plating, grinding down everything on the front end and get it painted

* tuning the rear suspension , just need to pull the spring pack back apart and put in most the Leafs from a spring pack I got off of a CJ7

* move the gas tank under the bed so I can drop the passenger area floor down to give more leg room .

* finish and mount the truck bed

* loom all the wiring and modify the gage cluster to look more appealing also build some sort of cover for it

* replace all the spring bushings

* make new mounts and swap seats

* not sure if I'm going to make another flat fender for the front or go back to a stock one

and then there's a ton of little things still to do

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

thanks man , it's a odd concept either people like it or think it's a giant waste of two rigs . hopefully it will function like I planned when it's all done. I'm definitely getting on the home stretch with it so I'm hoping within a month or so it'll be back to driving and moving on its own again
I’ll admit I was a bit skeptical when I read the title, but after reading through the thread it’s well thought out and actually makes a lot of sense. Doesn’t hurt that you’ve got some skills with steel and a welder. Looking forward to seeing the end product.

Last edited:

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I a

I’ll admit I was a bit skeptical when I read the title, but after reading through the thread it’s well thought out and actually makes a lot of sense. Doesn’t hurt that you’ve got some skills with steel and a welder. Looking forward to seeing the end product.

I've kind of thought about changing the title maybe say cj5 pickup with the heart of a Toyota or something like that.

Well when you have more time than money you can really think about where things are going to go and all in all I've been very surprised at how well things that fit together.