Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

This is completely out of order but found some old pics so figured I would put them in here as part of the build .

Knowing eventually the axles would get a beating from rocks and general asshattery I thought it would be a good idea to truss both axles , truss the ball knuckles and shave/armor the diffs
8448b190.jpg
Different shave kit , much beefier then the stock housing metal

4e60978b.jpg
Cannot say enough good things about the quality of Sky manufacturing , hands down some of the best stuff on the market. 100% American steel and labor , something very lost in the market today

88ce667f.jpg
This whole process is very time consuming because you don't want to run long beads and warp the metal
6baf117d.jpg

1663d332.jpg

7bf0c6d1.jpg

d790ba60.jpg

All dressed up with no where to go

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Getting the old wheelwell covered up took a little metal , lot of measuring and even more grinding to get it to fit perfectly

Screenshot_20180131-131841.png

Screenshot_20180131-131859.png Screenshot_20180131-131851.png

With the help of quite a few clamps and some heat the bends around the corners of the tub turned out great.
Screenshot_20180131-131910.png

Last edited:

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Now we are starting to get to the fun stuff and tuning the suspension. I needed to pull it out of the shop to do a little pressure washing to knock off some more dirt before I finished cutting off the rest of the ifs mounts and cleaning up the frame . While I had it outside I figured I may as well use my buddies new free forklift and see how everything works out .
I need to pull a leaf from the rear pack to soften it up a little and add some leafs to the front pack to stiffen it up but all in all everything cycles well and is stable with 1 tire off the ground .

Screenshot_20180201-074841.png Screenshot_20180201-081206.png Screenshot_20180201-081147.png Screenshot_20180201-081248.png Screenshot_20180201-074921.png

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Now we are starting to get to the fun stuff and tuning the suspension. I needed to pull it out of the shop to do a little pressure washing to knock off some more dirt before I finished cutting off the rest of the ifs mounts and cleaning up the frame . While I had it outside I figured I may as well use my buddies new free forklift and see how everything works out .
I need to pull a leaf from the rear pack to soften it up a little and add some leafs to the front pack to stiffen it up but all in all everything cycles well and is stable with 1 tire off the ground .

View attachment 46674 View attachment 46675 View attachment 46676 View attachment 46677 View attachment 46678
That's some torture testing....LOL :sunglasses:

Reactions: Wilkes704

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

This is AWESOME..!
What a killer build..! I TOTALLY dig your Joyota..!

Sent from my SM-J320R4 using OB Talk mobile app

Thank you , it's definitely different and kinda hard to wrap your brain around but I really hope in the next couple months to have it close enough to done to get it out on the trail for some testing

Reactions: H3Coyote

H3Coyote

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

MidWest, U.S., by Chicago.
Member #

Thank you , it's definitely different and kinda hard to wrap your brain around but I really hope in the next couple months to have it close enough to done to get it out on the trail for some testing
I'm right there with you SmileyShaun..!
I'm in the middle of changing my whole build as well, I totally understand where your coming from there..! Check it out if you get a chance... Have a cool day..!

H3Coyote

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

MidWest, U.S., by Chicago.
Member #

When I say duel cases I am speaking about duel transfer cases. It allows me to essentially put it in 4 low twice to keep the tires moving at a extremely slow speed making crawling over large obstacles easier .
Hey Shaun, which cases did you end up using..?
I'm curious because I have a Dana 20 (gear drive) and the np241, would I be able to do that with an adapter from someone like Advanced Adapters or Novak..?