Arden, NC
First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Marske
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4DWS
I committed to go...Not sure if running in my 4runner or my buddies 100 series landcruiser but want a spot if avail
Get your buddy to come with you and take both!

@OverlandOzzy1
I most likely will not be able to camp but would love to tag along on Saturday... Is there a time I could meet you guys either at camp before you guys head out or at a fuel stop before you guys head up the trails?

OverlandOzzy1

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Durham, NC, USA
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Osborn
Member #

Get your buddy to come with you and take both!

@OverlandOzzy1
I most likely will not be able to camp but would love to tag along on Saturday... Is there a time I could meet you guys either at camp before you guys head out or at a fuel stop before you guys head up the trails?
Yeah go ahead and send me a text so I can save your number and I will get up with you as soon as we leave camp on saturday morning

Icculus

Rank I

Member I

Asheville, NC, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Scarboro
Member #

RTT will be here this weekend sometime or early next week! Anybody willing to trade some beers for some assistance in getting it mounted up? @Maverick9110E @glade8r ?????
Sorry man. Won't be able to make it to Durham. Congrats on the RTT. What tent did you go with if I may ask. From research my top 3 choices at the moment are the iKamper Skycamp, AutoHome airtop and 23zero. First 2 are hard shell which is the way I'm leaning but who knows by the time I can actually pay for one

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

Folks, it was my understanding that Hurricane Creek Road was closed. Has that changed? I was there last year and not long after it was reported closed off due to trash and erosion. I'd love to find out that was wrong. It's a great trail, but it does have some very challenging spots. It made me a bit nervous at times even with a lift, 35's, and lockers at both ends.

AlphaJD

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque, Bernalillo County, New Mexico, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Duggan
Member #

Folks, it was my understanding that Hurricane Creek Road was closed. Has that changed? I was there last year and not long after it was reported closed off due to trash and erosion. I'd love to find out that was wrong. It's a great trail, but it does have some very challenging spots. It made me a bit nervous at times even with a lift, 35's, and lockers at both ends.
So what level of vehicle is required for this then? I have a 2013 Wrangler Sport JKU w/ a 2" lift, no lockers, and 33" tires.

How do we find out if the trail is closed?

Icculus

Rank I

Member I

Asheville, NC, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Scarboro
Member #

Interesting. I searched and found something as recent as 4months ago that it was closed. Think I found the correct number to call. I'll try to give them a ring tomorrow and find out the status.

Operated By:Nantahala National Forest, Nantahala Ranger District, 90 Sloan Road, Franklin, NC 28734, (828)-524-6441

Reactions: glade8r and DanW

KM4DWS

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Arden, NC
First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Marske
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4DWS
I went up it 2 Fridays in a row in August.

Reactions: Icculus

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

So what level of vehicle is required for this then? I have a 2013 Wrangler Sport JKU w/ a 2" lift, no lockers, and 33" tires.

How do we find out if the trail is closed?
I think you'd make it based on what I experienced last time. It'd be rough, but that Jeep could do it. I was by myself, so my threshold for nervousness was much lower than if with a group. The ruts were serious!

I think maybe the North Carolina DNR could give info on it. I'll try and find the source where I got it. It is on a Jeep forum. I'll see if I can get a link.

Last edited:

Icculus

Rank I

Member I

Asheville, NC, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Scarboro
Member #

I went up it 2 Fridays in a row in August.
Well sounds like thats cleared up but I'll call tomorrow just to make 100%. Side note for anyone signed up. Does anyone have a way to air back up. Looked at powertanks and was shocked by the cost. Can air down for the trail but don't currently have a way to air back up afterwards

Reactions: DanW

Icculus

Rank I

Member I

Asheville, NC, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Scarboro
Member #

I think you'd make it based on what I experienced last time. It'd be rough, but that Jeep could do it. The ruts were serious! I think maybe the North Carolina DNR could give info on it. I'll try and find the source where I got it. It is on a Jeep forum. I'll see if I can get a link.
Not gonna lie @DanW Making me a little nervous for my 4runner on 33's with just a level kit

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

Not gonna lie @DanW Making me a little nervous for my 4runner on 33's with just a level kit
IT was very muddy, too. Without the mud, things would certainly be better. With a group, you could work through it. Especially if someone has a winch. 4 Runner is pretty darned capable. If muddy, 33's would be minimum, I believe. They'd be right on the ragged edge. Unless the ruts have worsened. We need a recent scouting report, if it is open.

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

I'd love to go with you guys but I don't think I could get down there early enough on Friday. If you give a good report, I may look at it in October or December.

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
Well sounds like thats cleared up but I'll call tomorrow just to make 100%. Side note for anyone signed up. Does anyone have a way to air back up. Looked at powertanks and was shocked by the cost. Can air down for the trail but don't currently have a way to air back up afterwards
I've got a compressor and a spare smaller one your welcome to borrow.

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
IT was very muddy, too. Without the mud, things would certainly be better. With a group, you could work through it. Especially if someone has a winch. 4 Runner is pretty darned capable. If muddy, 33's would be minimum, I believe. They'd be right on the ragged edge. Unless the ruts have worsened. We need a recent scouting report, if it is open.
Yea the ruts are the thing that worry me. Almost feel like organizing a trail repair day. Have everyone bring 10-15 bags of mulch to fill them in or something.