Rank III

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque, Bernalillo County, New Mexico, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Duggan
Member #

There is enough dirt around them that a few shovels and a few beers would do the trick.
Think getting a clear understanding of the trails might be useful. It's a 10 hr drive for me to get to there, and 5hrs for another member. ( who drives a 2003 Wrangler TJ no lift) Otherwise I'd go check it out. And I think we need verification the trail is open.

I have a winch (w/ recovery kit, and a pulley), and Hi-Lift Jack too if needed. I'll have a shovel & axe too.

Reactions: DanW

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
Think getting a clear understanding of the trails might be useful. It's a 10 hr drive for me to get to there, and 5hrs for another member. ( who drives a 2003 Wrangler TJ no lift) Otherwise I'd go check it out. And I think we need verification the trail is open.

I have a winch (w/ recovery kit, and a pulley), and Hi-Lift Jack too if needed. I'll have a shovel & axe too.

I've had multiple people in different groups say they were up there as recently as last weekend.

Reactions: AlphaJD and DanW

OverlandOzzy1

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Durham, NC, USA
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Osborn
Member #

I know for sure the trail is open! And I believe the trip is at capacity. I capped it at 12 rigs due to capacity at least for Friday night where I reserved some camp spots. If you want to ride along Saturday come join us for coffee before we hit the trail in waynesville!

Reactions: DanW

OverlandOzzy1

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Durham, NC, USA
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Osborn
Member #

UPDATE VERSION 2.......as of now we have 12 rigs going on this trip. I reserved room for 10-12 rigs to camp Friday evening at Wingray campground in Waynesville. If you want to camp friday evening as well as saturday, you'll need to go online and reserve another spot, if available. I understand this may be frustrating but I hope everyone can understand that sheer amount of room that necessary to accomodate 10+ overland rigs even for just a night. Plans are still ago as per previous UPDATED status I posted several weeks ago. Trail IS open. Had a buddy from the Forrest Service check on it yesterday for me and he said its pretty rutted out but they haven't had a whole lot of rain in the area lately so it should be doable. If you have any questions please send me a PM.

Reactions: Maverick9110E

Trevor Atchley

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Tennessee
Well sounds like thats cleared up but I'll call tomorrow just to make 100%. Side note for anyone signed up. Does anyone have a way to air back up. Looked at powertanks and was shocked by the cost. Can air down for the trail but don't currently have a way to air back up afterwards
My vehicle is equipped with an air compressor. My previous vehicle was not so well equipped, so I also have a compressor that plugs into the cigarette lighter. I'll plan to bring it, as well.

glade8r

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Franklinton, NC, USA
First Name
Jamie
Last Name
Wells
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4UFU
RTT will be here this weekend sometime or early next week! Anybody willing to trade some beers for some assistance in getting it mounted up? @Maverick9110E @glade8r ?????
Yea, I can help no worries. Send me a text when you wanna do it. I have a cook out Saturday at 2, shooting an IDPA match in Oxford at 1:00 Sunday and was headed for Fort Fisher on Monday.

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

I'd love to go with you guys, but I don't think I can swing it. I'll be following this thread, so post some pics, please! I may head down to Hurricane Creek in October!

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

I've had multiple people in different groups say they were up there as recently as last weekend.
Any reports from them on the ruts? Also, wouldn't be a bad idea to pick up trash along the way. When it was closed, that was the big reason given. That's what I'm going to do next time I'm there. Not all along the way, but just whenever stopping, if there is trash around. And there was the two times I was there.

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
They said the ruts were still there, not impassable, but it does sound like they are getting worse each time it rains and gets driven through. I'm def bringing my shovel and willing to help fix them if everyone is cool with stopping for a little bit. And I always have a spare trash bag.

Reactions: DanW and AlphaJD

AlphaJD

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
John
Last Name
Duggan
Member #

Any reports from them on the ruts? Also, wouldn't be a bad idea to pick up trash along the way. When it was closed, that was the big reason given. That's what I'm going to do next time I'm there. Not all along the way, but just whenever stopping, if there is trash around. And there was the two times I was there.
I have a bag that hangs on the spare tire. Happy to keep trash bags in it. And toss things we find in there to help w/ trail cleanup.

I also have a air compressor, it plugs into the car outlet, also has the ability to connect direct to battery.

AlphaJD

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
John
Last Name
Duggan
Member #

They said the ruts were still there, not impassable, but it does sound like they are getting worse each time it rains and gets driven through. I'm def bringing my shovel and willing to help fix them if everyone is cool with stopping for a little bit. And I always have a spare trash bag.
I’ll also bring my shovel to help with that if needed.

OverlandOzzy1

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Durham, NC, USA
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Osborn
Member #

I have a shovel, axe, hilift, and 2 air compressors in the truck at all times with an assortment of other communications and first aid supplies if anyone needs anything. We should be covered!

As for any more people wanting to RSVP, I’m having to cap the trip where it is now. With myself and 1 additional rig we are maxed at 12. Friday night is going to be tight with only 5 campsites but we will make it work! I know I’m counting down the days!

ziggy stardust

Rank II

Enthusiast III

South Carolina, USA
First Name
aaron
Last Name
von
Member #

the meet up is at 2pm, I will be coming up from SC and have to work on Friday, how long do you guys think you will hang at the meet up before heading to the camp ground? i looked but didn't see a schedule, I figure it will be somewhat loose but was trying to time my arrival

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
would this trail be easier or harder for an adv bike vs 4wd?
Straight guessing but i'd say it would be easier for an Adv bike. There are several you tube videos from the trail that should help you see what you're up against.