Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
Stoked for the trip! Can you email me the GPX file? I'll throw like 3 or 4 bags of mulch in the back for trail repair as well. I can meet over in Durham to head out if you want to caravan out too? Planning on getting to the campground around 1400, then getting set up and heading to the brewery correct?

AlphaJD

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque, Bernalillo County, New Mexico, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Duggan
Member #

Stoked for the trip! Can you email me the GPX file? I'll throw like 3 or 4 bags of mulch in the back for trail repair as well. I can meet over in Durham to head out if you want to caravan out too? Planning on getting to the campground around 1400, then getting set up and heading to the brewery correct?
I think it's the opposite. Back on first page I think, OverlandOzzy1 wrote " The plan is to stop and meetup at 1400 Friday afternoon, get some food and beers and head down to camp late afternoon around 1600. "

Meet up is at "Boojum Brewing Company and Taproom in Waynesville "

Icculus

Rank I

Member I

Asheville, NC, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Scarboro
Member #

Coming from out of state, I'm assuming I can't lug Florida firewood to NC. Does anyone have firewood locations for the area? Don't need it for cooking, but having fires would be nice. :)
Wow. Who knew out of state firewood was regulated. Learn something everyday. A lot of grocery stores or lowes will have small expensive bundles if you go past one. Also I'm trying to sign up for my gmrs license and "might" have two handhelds for the upcoming weekend. Not 100% -- and some one would have to help me learn how to use them anyway, lol

AlphaJD

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
John
Last Name
Duggan
Member #

Wow. Who knew out of state firewood was regulated. Learn something everyday. A lot of grocery stores or lowes will have small expensive bundles if you go past one. Also I'm trying to sign up for my gmrs license and "might" have two handhelds for the upcoming weekend. Not 100% -- and some one would have to help me learn how to use them anyway, lol

Firewood across state lines -NC

Firewood map by state

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
I'll have firewood too, we'll be ok between most of us I think. Bring some cool florida beer instead

Icculus

Rank I

Member I

Asheville, NC, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Scarboro
Member #

Not the right place for it but just went the the cluster which is registering for my gmrs license. Paid but now it seems to be in limbo with no further instructions and no conf that I paid....Ugh
hell
EDIT: I know this thread is local to this trip but just wanted to say a big thank you to all I've already learned from this forum; the inclusive nature; and the willingness to help others getting into this hobby Cheers All Around

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

Not the right place for it but just went the the cluster which is registering for my gmrs license. Paid but now it seems to be in limbo with no further instructions and no conf that I paid....Ugh
hell
EDIT: I know this thread is local to this trip but just wanted to say a big thank you to all I've already learned from this forum; the inclusive nature; and the willingness to help others getting into this hobby Cheers All Around
Just keep your receipt. Never heard of a prosecution, but if they did, it won't fly far if you paid. You'll probably get it anyway before the end of the week.

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
hell
As long as you got a recipes your good. It'll take like till Tuesday or so and you'll get an approval. But yeah, their system is terrible.

AlphaJD

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
John
Last Name
Duggan
Member #

hell
That's a pain website. I think it took a day or so to get the license. (IE, an email that links you to the official copy you can d/l and print)

Bwarning3

Rank I

Contributor I

Fort Wright, KY, USA
First Name
Beverly
Last Name
Warning
Member #

Just wondering if any other females will be there. I’ll be sharing a campsite with another member but driving my own rig. Just wondered what the group would be like. Also, I drive a Jeep Wrangler 03. With a 2.5 lift on 32’s. This will be my first overland trip. But looking forward to the experience.

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

I'm looking forward to the reports on the trail conditions. I'll be heading down there with 1 or two other Jeeps on October 16 and will hit Hurricane Creek Rd. on the 17th or 18th (more likely the 18th).

Reactions: Maverick9110E

TheOverlandingGoat

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Greensboro, NC
Member #

What route on HC are you doing. Last time up there we took a right turn that led us all the way up on a very narrow ledge with a plus 20° slope to the edge at times. Not interested in doing that again. Also, not sure how my Full Size rig will fit.

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
What route on HC are you doing. Last time up there we took a right turn that led us all the way up on a very narrow ledge with a plus 20° slope to the edge at times. Not interested in doing that again. Also, not sure how my Full Size rig will fit.
I think Jon has the gpx file for the route.

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

Pretty sure I took the same route last time, in mud. We were $*itting our pants the whole way up, mud flying and Jeep sliding all around!

Reactions: TheOverlandingGoat