Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Cross post from the Friday Night Ham Radio Net thread...

Reminder about the weekly OB Echolink net tomorrow night. Since it'll be the first Friday of the month, that means its NEW HAM Q&A so new licensees, feel free to bring your questions, comments, ideas or anything else you feel like rag chewing about. As usual, pretty much anything else goes as well.

If you're not sure about how to use Echolink, a GREAT how-to article on getting started can be found HERE to get you up and running!

Who: All licensed Amateur Radio operators are welcome to check-in.
Time : 17:30 hours PT/2030 hours ET
Where : Echolink Node 591550 (USA-GNG) known also as Grits N Gravy, DMR TG 1137550 and Allstar 41130

Anyone can listen only here www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/29437/web

As always, if anyone would like to assist as net controller, please reach out to myself, @12poundtest , @TerryD , @Brentc17 or @MTN RNR and we'll get you set up. We could use a few extra hands running the net on Friday nights and would be happy to get you up to speed and into the rotation.

Until then...73!

Shane, K5TIN

Reactions: 12poundtest

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Cross post from the other thread...

Friday Night OB EchoLink net notes 12/6/19
TOPIC - New ham Q&A​

W7BR (Brent in WA) - No announcements, but please let us know if you have any suggestions for topics or improvements we can make to the net. Just found out that a friend bought a Tram 1480 VHF/UHF antenna at Home Depot of all places and he’s using it at his QTH. Price was right around $50. They also have the Tram 1481 which comes with a mast for an extra $20.

KD8JLV (Steve in OH) - Have been licensed for a while and mainly active on 2M. New to this net. Studying for my General and my two teenage sons and teenage daughter are studying for their Technician so we can make ham radio a family affair. Question: Have been having issues with being able to see the EchoLink chat box on my iPhone. I’m seeing the message numbers, but no text. Answer by WD6TED (Ted) and I - If using it in night mode, that is likely the issue since the display is essentially reversed with that phone setting. Ted initially had the same issue at first on his phone and iPad. Steve changed his display to day mode and this resolved the issue.

N7PHY(Ed in WA) - Glad to be here tonight and welcome to the new folks. Recently purchased some 10 foot sections of fence post and am planning to build a mast that will be set in the ground so I can get my antenna up higher as well as make it easier to put up and take down quickly in order to be as stealthy as possible. Reading that this weekend is the FT8 Roundup, so may play around with that some if I have time.

WD6TED (Ted in CA) - Have been using a 53 foot random wire with a 53 foot counterpoise on HF using CW. Got all 6 continents in about a 12 hours period recently during the recent CW contest. (Nice work, Ted!). Also bought an SDR as an early Christmas present (sorry I missed the name Ted. If you want to update the tread with it, that’d be great). Also mentioned WebSDR as an HF listening aid. Note: I use this site as a check for my AirSpy + and it has proven useful when digging out signals when my local noise floor is high.

K7XPO (Brien in AZ) - Just completed a group buy for QSP Digital transceiver kit at QRPguys.com. Covers 40M/30M/20M FT8 and is $40. Note to Brien: Well played with the CW ID during check-in. It figured out who it was about the time you keyed again and SPOKE your call sign. You've re-enforced exactly how RUSTY my Morse is, so I guess I need to add re-learning CW to my to-do list. Going to wait until AFTER I upgrade to Extra, though…

VK7VWK (Randall down under in Tasmania) - Not a lot going on at the moment radio wise. Got a spectrum analyzer to play with, but mostly have just been working. The analyzer is a hand-me-down that was used for marine radio around the island. Planning to use it to check how much splatter I have in my signal and clean it up if need be. Found out EchoLink wasn’t very good to use on a phone for YOTA. Instead used an Android device that with a PTT that looks like an HT. Note: I didn’t catch the name, but a Google search pulled up a device made by Radio-tone that is for sale on Flea Bay for U.S. $285.00. Looks like a pretty slick device.

K4TXN (Ryan in TX) - First time on this net. (Welcome, Ryan!) Currently at a campsite at Huntsville State Park in front of a fire using my phone and a hot spot. Have gotten lots of good info from OB and look forward to learning more on the site and finding new places to explore.

W8Ill (Will in MI)- Doing OK. Glad to hear everyone tonight. Had my antenna collapse on me the other night. Think the glue that was holding the PVC supports together got brittle due to the cold and cracked up in the tree. Think I got it fixed and it seems to be working pretty good. Also bought an antenna analyzer (MFJ 296) last week and am looking forward to trying it out.

KD9DFV (Michael in IL) - It is Get Kids on the Air Month, so have been working on that. Had a group in here earlier this evening introducing them to EchoLink and radio in general. Feel it is important to get the kids involved when you can to peek interest and keep the hobby going. Currently getting working on setting up for a group of Girl Scouts that are coming in tomorrow.

K5TIN (Shane in LA) net control - Thanks to those who were able to check in with us tonight and once again, WELCOME to the new folks!

Not sure if everyone noticed what was going on in the chat box (aside from the poking fun at me in the beginning, lol), but I wanted to take a second to point out that, as of 12/21/19, the OB Friday Night Net will hit it’s 1st birthday! On behalf of YOUR Net Control Stations (myself, @12poundtest, @TerryD, @MTN RNR) and our Coordinator and sometimes Net Control @Brentc17, I’d like to thank everyone who has checked in with us each week and helped us keep this going. We couldn’t do it without you! It has been a fun time for sure and I’m looking forward to what the future holds. With that being said, please don’t be shy about challenging yourself by getting involved with us as a a Control Station. Once you get the hang of it, its actually really fun! The five of us would be more than happy to get you set up and get you some practice before you go LIVE and LARGE, so please consider helping us out! You’ll be hooked in no time!

10 check-ins including net control. The above is, of course, a synopsis of the discussion and I left out a lot of details, but a ton of good info was passed, questions asked and questions answered.

Catch everyone next week! 73!

K5TIN (Shane)

Last edited:
Reactions: 12poundtest

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
We do a new ham Q&A on the 1st Friday of each month so new licencees can check in and get help with any questions they may have and also get some experience participating in a formal net. OB and overlanding topics are covered during the remainder of the month along with ham radio and open topics nights. Just depends on what suggestions we get from those who participate in the nets or on the forum. We also throw in a "round 2" or "round 3" for topics that have been popular in the past that we get requests to re-visit.

In a nutshell, its ultimately about putting voices to screen names, getting to know each other and having some fun along the way.

jeep670

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

None of the adendees sound(ed) like new licensees with questions..
My point is that, like any other themed nets, the theme of this net should be stated and controlled within the conversation. Otherwise you'll have just a regular ham net where people talk about their dipoles, analyzers, CW, propagation and local weather reports..

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
You're right that none sounded like new licensees, but two were new to the net and one was having a minor equipment issue while using EchoLink that we helped him solve. I get your point about theme and control, but we're not going to shut it down just because no one new asks any rookie questions. If we don't get anything that is related to the announced topic, then we have no problem with the net turning into an open general rag chew session. We've got regulars who are with us most every week and all of us enjoy talking about whatever comes to mind. Even if it is off topic. If not for the nets, then several of us might have never had a face-to-face meeting and would just be random people on the internet that are interested in this thing they call overlanding. Speaking for myself, in the year since @Brentc17, @12poundtest and I started hashing this thing out when it came up in a random thread one day, Brent and I have had the opportunity to met in person and all of the core group of controllers, including @TerryD and @MTN RNR, have regular conversations throughout the week via texts, phone calls and emails in addition to things posted in the forums. We've also made regular attempts to connect on HF, but with band conditions the way they are at this point in time we haven't been very successful with it. We'll keep trying though. Connecting people with shared interests and passions. That to me is at the core of what these forums and, by extension, amateur radio are all about and I consider these guys good friends now.

For the New Ham Q&A topic, which was announced the night before in two different threads, the responsibility to identify themselves as being a new licensee and to seek answers to any questions they may have about ham radio or the proper setup and use of EchoLink is on the new operators. If they don't let anyone know that they are new or ask any questions, for whatever reason, then how are we to know otherwise? "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."

The whole point is that the nets are another way for OB members to connect with one another besides just on the forums. In addition to the EL node, we're also going out on Broadcastify and are connected to at least one member's AllStar network node that is fairly popular on the East Coast. Last night was an exception, but we generally also have at least two local repeaters that members link in when they can. We're absolutely fine with this, because these extra things help, I hate to say "advertise" but it is essentially that, Overland Bound to those listening who may hear us, check out the forums and then become motivated, to quote @Michael 's theme, to "Outfit and Explore", make some memories with friends and family and, just maybe, get out of their comfort zone and try something new.

Last edited:

MTN RNR

Rank VI

World Traveler III

San Diego 92130
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6TED
Greetings all, I will be the net control station this week for the Friday Night Net.

Main Topic for this week: Suspensions - what you have / have not done with the suspension on your vehicle why or why not?

Secondary Topic (on second round if suspension discussion seems done): Differentials - gearing, snorkels, etc.

Looking forward to hearing everyone this week!

Reactions: Downs and TerryD

MTN RNR

Rank VI

World Traveler III

San Diego 92130
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6TED
Friday Night Overland Bound Echolink Net Notes
Friday December 13, 2019
Primary Topic: Suspensions, & Straight Axle vs Independent
Secondary Topics: Differential Gearing and Misc Ham Radio

Net Control: WD6TED -Ted - San Diego - CA
Total Checkins: 11 including net control.

1) N8XFC - Bob - Alderson, WVa - Runs a stock suspension currently as it meets his needs for the roads he drives.

2) KT4OZ - Terry - Covington - VA- OB# 3710 - At first started small with his Xterra then later on jumped in suspension upgrades. Currently uses 9 leaf packs 2 1/2" lift. Radflo coil over shocks for 650lb. Wanted something that could handle the load of the winch and the steel front bumper. Radflo shocks in the rear. They are sufficiently heavy duty to handle the factory rear bumper. He does pull trailers but not overlanding. Has Timber Bump stops and he says the really help a lot. Terry things a solid rear axle and an independent front is best for overlanding. Has concerns that independent rear can cause camber issues with the wheels. Prefers leaf springs to coils because they are more stable.

3) K7XPO/6 - Brien - Checking in from the Oakland Airport (main QTH is Tuscon AZ)- OB# 3553 - drives a Rubicon and has a galley in the rear + 5 people + Turtleback trailer. Uses AEV DualSport XT 2 1/2" lift. Took coils out and put Old Man EMU coils. Has 33 1/2" Rubicon wheels w/ 275 BFG KO2 tires. With current arrangement the rig is level when the trailer is attached. He also has a steel bumper. On the trailer he uses the custom Icon suspension for the Turtleback. Regarding differentials he is currently running the stock 410 ratio in his jeep but is going to go to 488 gearing in the next couple of months due to the heavy load in/on the Jeep and pulling the Turtleback. As a side note things are in place for his shop to open: Expedition Outfitters.

4) KJ7DUE - Kim - Whitefish - MT - Has a 2016 JK and put an AEV 2" spacer which helped a lot. Wishes he had the AEV 3 1/2" Dual Sport. Run on 33" wheels.

5) VA2EEK - Don - Gatineau - Quebec - Drives a stock Tacoma. Only modification made is an upgrade to the tires.

6) AF5QL - Bubun - Indonesia - Just dropped in on the net as he is a USA-GNG Echolink regular

7) N7PHY - ED - Edmonds - WA - OB# 15391: Has a Chevy Colorado and runs it completely stock. Meets his needs (anything to do with fishing) for the time being.

8) N4QWK - Randy - Springfield - VA: Just joined Overland Bound 3 or 4 days ago (sorry I did not get his OB#). He has had Jeeps since about 1981. Has 3 Jeeps currently: '86 CJ7, '82 Scrambler, '06 Wrangler Limited. He has retirement on the near horizon and will be moving to north Wyoming. He will start building out the '06 Wrangler for the move to Wyoming. Would like to get a 4-Door Limited for his next vehicle. The '86 CJ7 is just fine the way it is for what he currently does on logging roads in W VA. Didn't really need to change anything but did add an extra leaf spring on the front.

9) VK7VWK - Randall - Hobart - Tasmania - Discussed gearing a bit but nothing to add regarding suspensions.

10) W8ILL - Will - Taylor - MI - Fixed and remounted the antenna that was blown off his roof last week.

11) WD6TED - Ted - San Diego - CA: Has 2015 4Runner TRD Pro and runs Icon Stage 7 suspension with secondary front shocks. Has Icon 2 1/2" lift in the front and recently added Icon 3" heavy duty overland springs in the rear due to additional weight of CBI steel rear bumper and swing arms. Also uses Icon hydro bumpers in the rear. Using 33 1/2" wheels with 295 width tires. As the vehicle has become heavier planning on going to 456 differential gearing in the next year.

Net closed at 02:54z 12/14/2019

Thanks to everyone who participated.
The question was raised if we will be running the net over the holiday period - YES we will be running the net each week.

73 to all!

Reactions: Edrem and Downs

dougruss3

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Livingston County, New York, United States
First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Russell
Member #

Hi. I was wondering if you had the weekly net on Friday the 27th. I was logged in on my broadcastify app but heard nothing[emoji22]. I was looking forward to listening in until I get my tech license.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I'm interested in who the pirate station was that showed up. haha. Did they stick around or did ya'll run them off?

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Hi. I was wondering if you had the weekly net on Friday the 27th. I was logged in on my broadcastify app but heard nothing[emoji22]. I was looking forward to listening in until I get my tech license.
There was indeed a net. I'm not sure why the link didn't work though? Maybe an issue on the G&G end of things. Their system handles that link.

I'm interested in who the pirate station was that showed up. haha. Did they stick around or did ya'll run them off?
They stopped trying to check in after Ed asked if they had an amateur license. I'm not entirely sure who that was. If anyone has his last digits, I would like to try to make contact with him through the local GMRS group to pass along the information for the local Roanoke club and try to get him licensed to join us!

SilverShadow

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Galveston, TX
First Name
John
Last Name
States
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5BQG
Regarding the conversation about the Wilderness Protocol, I searched the ARRL web site and found that it is mentioned in the ARES Field Resources Manual. Basically it is a recommendation that licensed Hams in a wilderness setting should announce their presence and monitor the National Calling Frequencies at the top of every 3rd hour during the hours between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. The National Calling Frequencies are: 52.525, 146.52, 223.50, 446.00, 1294.50 MHz. In a follow up forum post it was mentioned that if the ham has the time he could monitor at the top of each hour but by establishing the 3 hour windows it sets expectations for the person needing help as to when he/she might reach someone.

Link to ARES Field Resources Manual:

Link to follow up forum post:

It is a pretty broad protocol so if the OB members want to come up with a modified OB Wilderness Protocol it would seem like a workable option.

Happy New Year!

Gurneyjock

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Gardner, KS, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Kalilikani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6OTM
There will be a weekly NET for all Overland Bound members who have a valid Ham license. This will be on Echolink conference node 591550 (USA-GNG), DMR talk group 1137550 and Allstar 41130 every Friday Night at 5:30pm PST
Is this still an active net for 2020?

jeep670

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I got my license few months ago in Pasadena ca. And I do have a yeasu radio but don’t know how to join the group I am OB2601 . Would you guys guide me through please.
Easiest is to register with Echolink and download the app on your phone.
The radio won't do you any good unless you can reach a local echolink enabled repeater and dial the net. But I doubt the repeater owner will be happy with you tying his repeater for 1+ hour with a net he's not interested in.

Reactions: KA7USA