Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

Also, for any 4Runners out there, the T4Plus fits inside the 4Runner with one seat down.
We find it fits perfectly on top of the roof of our 4Runner. View attachment 186175
Once I sort out my rack situation I may look into that. However, what if it rains? Don't you end up with a wet tent?

I'm thinking of getting the LFD ruggedized crossbars and then eventually getting the 3/4 rack.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Once I sort out my rack situation I may look into that. However, what if it rains? Don't you end up with a wet tent?

I'm thinking of getting the LFD ruggedized crossbars and then eventually getting the 3/4 rack.
The bag is water proof... I accidentally dropped the tent (while in the bag) into the river. and then we were caught in a rain storm on the way back home... the tent was dry both after dropping it, and after the trip home.F5E0EC18-193F-4ED1-8B20-EF06E448FB6D.jpeg

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

The bag is water proof... I accidentally dropped the tent (while in the bag) into the river. and then we were caught in a rain storm on the way back home... the tent was dry both after dropping it, and after the trip home.
That is great news! I did not know (nor expect) that.

Reactions: M Rose

syncro

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Seattle
First Name
Tim
Last Name
K
Member #

Go for the t4, the t3 will only take one large cot because it needs to be in the middle of the tent. I have an 80" x 33" cot and it fills up the t3 pretty good. An 84" cot would never fit IMO. Buy once and be happy you did.
Thanks for your thoughts! It sounds like I need to decide if we're going with two big cots or Exped double wide mattress. If it turns out the Exped mattresses are as good as everyone says, the smaller packed size of the T3x is likely going to outweigh having room for two cots.

My thinking so far....

The price diff between the two is a non-issue (I'm actually kind of surprised how cheap these tents are). The extra standing height of the T4 is nice, but mostly a non-issue (I'm tall but used to crouching). The packed hugeness of the T4, however, is an issue, both physically and philosophically. I have what I consider a huge rig (1st Gen Sequoia). The t3x will fit inside crossways behind the middle row, but without much room to spare. Coming from a human-powered backcountry experience that in-the-bag-largeness blows me away. So the fact that the T4 is so much bigger and either has to go the front to back (which messes up my existing organization system) or on the roof is a huge negative to me. Sure, I could *make room" for it, but philosophically, I just don't want to have so much stuff in my rig or campsites or basement.

I realize it's all a juggle. Though 'm used to having a small, compact kit, I'm getting older and more sore, and less able to sleep (and enjoy myself) when I'm not comfortable. As I move to a more vehicle-dependent mode of travel I'm really trying to balance that desire for comfort + my ability the bring it all along (curse of the large rig) against the "small, compact kit" way I remember my younger self. Back in the day, I'm sure I held some disdain toward those guys with the overstuffed truck and the giant campsites. Thankfully the disdain is long gone (I've "walked a mile" in those guys' shoes. Everyone has different needs. Do what you need to do to get out there!) but my desire keep the kit and campsite on the compact* end of the spectrum remains.

*definition of compact TBD. In a couple years I'll probably have to come back and edit this post to talk about how I got a bigger rig to bring more stuff ;-)

Reactions: MuckSavage

beachdude93

Rank 0

Traveler I

PA, USA
First Name
jake
Last Name
zimmerman
The bag is water proof... I accidentally dropped the tent (while in the bag) into the river. and then we were caught in a rain storm on the way back home... the tent was dry both after dropping it, and after the trip home.View attachment 186176
is that the t4 hub with the screened in room?

question, do you think you could cook inside it during a rainy day or nah?

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

The bag is water proof... I accidentally dropped the tent (while in the bag) into the river. and then we were caught in a rain storm on the way back home... the tent was dry both after dropping it, and after the trip home.View attachment 186176
is that the t4 hub with the screened in room?

question, do you think you could cook inside it during a rainy day or nah?
I suppose you could close the wall to the big room (it's zippered) and cook in the screened room. You can also remove the floor separately from the room floor.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I suppose you could close the wall to the big room (it's zippered) and cook in the screened room. You can also remove the floor separately from the room floor.
I usually keep the floor in the screen room out... it gives me a second floor for the sleep area...

beachdude93

Rank 0

Traveler I

PA, USA
First Name
jake
Last Name
zimmerman
It’s the T4 Plus. Yes I have cooked inside with one of the rain fly sides open.
So the heat wont set anything on fire or melt the roof? Im talking about cooking like with a coleman stove and nothing much bigger. And possibly the stove on a table.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
So the heat wont set anything on fire or melt the roof? Im talking about cooking like with a coleman stove and nothing much bigger. And possibly the stove on a table.
Colman 2 burner propane stove and a LifeTime Table Is how I do it... With the rain fly open... so the heat can escape...

beachdude93

Rank 0

Traveler I

PA, USA
First Name
jake
Last Name
zimmerman
Colman 2 burner propane stove and a LifeTime Table Is how I do it... With the rain fly open... so the heat can escape...
this is really good news. I wanted to get a shiftpod (i made a thread and signed up today but nobody answered it ): )

How much room does the tent have? can you lay down 2 cots in the main room?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
this is really good news. I wanted to get a shiftpod (i made a thread and signed up today but nobody answered it ): )

How much room does the tent have? can you lay down 2 cots in the main room?
Both rooms (screen room and the sleep room) are the same size. We sleep with a Queen Mattress with enough room to walk all the way around. If you look at the T4 pictures early on in this thread, you will se a picture with 2 bunk bed cots set up in a T4. The T4 Plus and the T8 are both two T4s placed back to back in size. I chose the T4 Plus because it’s the same size as the T-8, so can sleep 8 adults comfortably if I need to, but when I’m needed, I have the screen room to relax in.

beachdude93

Rank 0

Traveler I

PA, USA
First Name
jake
Last Name
zimmerman
Both rooms (screen room and the sleep room) are the same size. We sleep with a Queen Mattress with enough room to walk all the way around. If you look at the T4 pictures early on in this thread, you will se a picture with 2 bunk bed cots set up in a T4. The T4 Plus and the T8 are both two T4s placed back to back in size. I chose the T4 Plus because it’s the same size as the T-8, so can sleep 8 adults comfortably if I need to, but when I’m needed, I have the screen room to relax in.
Fantastic you have almost sold me on the tent. Last question. The floor. It doesnt look like it "zips" up. I have read that bugs can get in because of the floor design , is this true? is the bottom not sealed properly?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
The floor Velcro’s in... I’ve not had a problem with bugs... but I haven’t camped with it yet where bugs are... I thought they fixed the issue when they released the new T4 Plus late summer 2020... I got one of the first new T4 Plus tents. New materials, double reinforced seams, better zippers, better floor, better screen, and better bag.

last thing... check the OB store upgrade your membership and get discounts on the gear we use.

beachdude93

Rank 0

Traveler I

PA, USA
First Name
jake
Last Name
zimmerman
The floor Velcro’s in... I’ve not had a problem with bugs... but I haven’t camped with it yet where bugs are... I thought they fixed the issue when they released the new T4 Plus late summer 2020... I got one of the first new T4 Plus tents. New materials, double reinforced seams, better zippers, better floor, better screen, and better bag.

last thing... check the OB store upgrade your membership and get discounts on the gear we use.
ya i watched a video saying there was like an overlander version that OB discounts of the t4 but i really want the screen room.

anything else i should know? im much warmer towards the tent but i dont think it will fit inside my bronco anyway , and if im going to be putting something on my roof i might as well go with the shiftpod.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
ya i watched a video saying there was like an overlander version that OB discounts of the t4 but i really want the screen room.

anything else i should know? im much warmer towards the tent but i dont think it will fit inside my bronco anyway , and if im going to be putting something on my roof i might as well go with the shiftpod.
What year of Bronco?
It fits sideways in the back of mine...

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I dropped the order on a T4 today. It'll have to be carried on my roof rack on trips, it won't fit in the back of my XJ with other items. And will only go with the CJ if I take a trailer lol.

TrailMasonCliff

Rank II

Enthusiast II

KS
First Name
Cliff
Last Name
Jones
Has anyone rigged a tarp/awning to the T4? I did for on one trip of course didn't take a pic., it worked ok but my tarp is old cheap and does not have enough grommets/loops to do what I wanted. So looking for ideas/pics of your setups.

Reactions: gonzoy5