Gazelle Tents

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

syncro

Rank I
Adventure

Member I

Seattle
First Name
Tim
Last Name
K
Member #

I have the T4Plus. Used it once and will use it again this weekend with the new cots we got. I'll update y'all once we get back. Attached are some pics with the cots inside, for reference:
oh, I missed this while I was typing my other post. How long are those coleman cots (or what model)? They look a tight fit in the T4 Plus "room".

Lanlubber

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Does this mean two cots is probably a no? (probably)

I'm 6'6. Wife is 5'10. We're done with our backpacking tents and thermarests and are strongly considering the T3 and T4. At the same time, we're on the fence between two cots (at least one would be 80") or one of those biggie Exped double mattresses. I think the T3 would be fine with the Exped, but if we want the cots, we'll probably end up with at least one really long one (like the Teton universal at 84" or similar) and need to go with the T4. I'm almost tempted to get a T3 AND a T4, pick my favorite after a couple uses, then then sell the other with the second wave of summer gear shortages hits (again).
Go for the t4, the t3 will only take one large cot because it needs to be in the middle of the tent. I have an 80" x 33" cot and it fills up the t3 pretty good. An 84" cot would never fit IMO. Buy once and be happy you did.

Reactions: syncro

cgranier

Rank 0

Traveler I

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
I have the T4Plus. Used it once and will use it again this weekend with the new cots we got. I'll update y'all once we get back. Attached are some pics with the cots inside, for reference:
oh, I missed this while I was typing my other post. How long are those coleman cots (or what model)? They look a tight fit in the T4 Plus "room".
The Colemans are 75 and 81. The one in the main room, next to the King Goanna is 81".

It's a tight fit, though not as tight as the King Goanna, which extends into the other room.

I'll have more data after this weekend when we get to actually set them up in a real camping situation.

cgranier

Rank 0

Traveler I

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
You will love it...
Used to have a Coleman instant tent. Although it was spacious, it leaked like it was thirsty. Returned it to Amazon after a couple of weekends.

Went for the larger Gazelle (even though each room is a bit smaller) and took it to the Everglades. Loved being able to sleep with all the windows and roof open. The front room is just amazing for the views.

The full moon was like sleeping under a street lamp, though, ha ha ha.

After that trip, we decided to order some cots and get a proper sleep. We get to try them out this weekend. There's a possibility of rain, so I'll get to test the rain fly and some new tarp poles.

M Rose

US Northwest Region Director
Benefactor

Explorer I

La Grande, Oregon, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham Callsign
KJ7MFV
Used to have a Coleman instant tent. Although it was spacious, it leaked like it was thirsty. Returned it to Amazon after a couple of weekends.

Went for the larger Gazelle (even though each room is a bit smaller) and took it to the Everglades. Loved being able to sleep with all the windows and roof open. The front room is just amazing for the views.

The full moon was like sleeping under a street lamp, though, ha ha ha.

After that trip, we decided to order some cots and get a proper sleep. We get to try them out this weekend. There's a possibility of rain, so I'll get to test the rain fly and some new tarp poles.
We used ours in a monsoon rain last summer... everything stayed dry... just make sure to stake out the fly as the instructions show (more to keep the fly from blowing up)

Lanlubber

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I have a T3 and it sleeps two comfortably on sleeping pads or one on a cot situated in the middle of the tent as @MuckSavage also stated. I'm 6'4" Tall so my cot is 78" long and it doesn't touch the walls when setup in the middle, close but leaves a couple inches on each side I believe. Either way it's all I need when camping by myself and very comfortable. The Cot I have is in the link below.

You and I had this discussion about a year ago. I thought I ordered the tent you show here and was the one I wanted after talking to you. The one they sent me is 80" L x 33" W wide with a completely different frame. I fell ill about the time it came in or I would have sent it back. It is not the one you show here and the return time expired so I am stuck with it or will sell it to someone who wants a BIG comfortable cot. I have not even unpacked it yet. It is a Red Camp.

• Wow
Reactions: Viking1204

cgranier

Rank 0

Traveler I

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Also, for any 4Runners out there, the T4Plus fits inside the 4Runner with one seat down.
We find it fits perfectly on top of the roof of our 4Runner. View attachment 186175
Once I sort out my rack situation I may look into that. However, what if it rains? Don't you end up with a wet tent?

I'm thinking of getting the LFD ruggedized crossbars and then eventually getting the 3/4 rack.

M Rose

Benefactor

Explorer I

La Grande, Oregon, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham Callsign
KJ7MFV
Once I sort out my rack situation I may look into that. However, what if it rains? Don't you end up with a wet tent?

I'm thinking of getting the LFD ruggedized crossbars and then eventually getting the 3/4 rack.
The bag is water proof... I accidentally dropped the tent (while in the bag) into the river. and then we were caught in a rain storm on the way back home... the tent was dry both after dropping it, and after the trip home.F5E0EC18-193F-4ED1-8B20-EF06E448FB6D.jpeg

cgranier

Rank 0

Traveler I

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier

The bag is water proof... I accidentally dropped the tent (while in the bag) into the river. and then we were caught in a rain storm on the way back home... the tent was dry both after dropping it, and after the trip home.
That is great news! I did not know (nor expect) that.

Reactions: M Rose

syncro

Rank I
Adventure

Member I

Seattle
First Name
Tim
Last Name
K
Member #

Go for the t4, the t3 will only take one large cot because it needs to be in the middle of the tent. I have an 80" x 33" cot and it fills up the t3 pretty good. An 84" cot would never fit IMO. Buy once and be happy you did.
Thanks for your thoughts! It sounds like I need to decide if we're going with two big cots or Exped double wide mattress. If it turns out the Exped mattresses are as good as everyone says, the smaller packed size of the T3x is likely going to outweigh having room for two cots.

My thinking so far....

The price diff between the two is a non-issue (I'm actually kind of surprised how cheap these tents are). The extra standing height of the T4 is nice, but mostly a non-issue (I'm tall but used to crouching). The packed hugeness of the T4, however, is an issue, both physically and philosophically. I have what I consider a huge rig (1st Gen Sequoia). The t3x will fit inside crossways behind the middle row, but without much room to spare. Coming from a human-powered backcountry experience that in-the-bag-largeness blows me away. So the fact that the T4 is so much bigger and either has to go the front to back (which messes up my existing organization system) or on the roof is a huge negative to me. Sure, I could *make room" for it, but philosophically, I just don't want to have so much stuff in my rig or campsites or basement.

I realize it's all a juggle. Though 'm used to having a small, compact kit, I'm getting older and more sore, and less able to sleep (and enjoy myself) when I'm not comfortable. As I move to a more vehicle-dependent mode of travel I'm really trying to balance that desire for comfort + my ability the bring it all along (curse of the large rig) against the "small, compact kit" way I remember my younger self. Back in the day, I'm sure I held some disdain toward those guys with the overstuffed truck and the giant campsites. Thankfully the disdain is long gone (I've "walked a mile" in those guys' shoes. Everyone has different needs. Do what you need to do to get out there!) but my desire keep the kit and campsite on the compact* end of the spectrum remains.

*definition of compact TBD. In a couple years I'll probably have to come back and edit this post to talk about how I got a bigger rig to bring more stuff ;-)

Reactions: MuckSavage

beachdude93

Rank 0

Traveler I

PA, USA
First Name
jake
Last Name
zimmerman
The bag is water proof... I accidentally dropped the tent (while in the bag) into the river. and then we were caught in a rain storm on the way back home... the tent was dry both after dropping it, and after the trip home.View attachment 186176
is that the t4 hub with the screened in room?

question, do you think you could cook inside it during a rainy day or nah?

cgranier

Rank 0

Traveler I

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
The bag is water proof... I accidentally dropped the tent (while in the bag) into the river. and then we were caught in a rain storm on the way back home... the tent was dry both after dropping it, and after the trip home.View attachment 186176

I suppose you could close the wall to the big room (it's zippered) and cook in the screened room. You can also remove the floor separately from the room floor.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Benefactor

Explorer I

La Grande, Oregon, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham Callsign
KJ7MFV

It’s the T4 Plus. Yes I have cooked inside with one of the rain fly sides open.

M Rose

Benefactor

Explorer I

La Grande, Oregon, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham Callsign
KJ7MFV
I suppose you could close the wall to the big room (it's zippered) and cook in the screened room. You can also remove the floor separately from the room floor.
I usually keep the floor in the screen room out... it gives me a second floor for the sleep area...

Reactions: cgranier