Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

The big T4 with the "sun room" or whatever it is, is on the future purchase list for me. If it's just me my little Kelty 3 person works fine. But when I take the family places me, wife, 2 kids, however many dogs my wife can sneak into the Jeep. You quickly run out of room.

How does everyone like these big boxy gazelle tents in high wind conditions? I've held off on larger tents for years for this reason. I've camped in some pretty hellacious wind conditions and don't want the tent collapsing in on me.
In October we had it on the beach at Cape Lookout. High winds all night long. Used the tie-outs and didn't have a problem. In fact, set up right next to the tent was their gazebo as well. Also staked down and tied out and no problems.

That being said, if you do not tie it out and a gust collapses one of the hub points on a side wall, you don't want to be on the inside as they come in under tension and could easily hurt a young one.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
The big T4 with the "sun room" or whatever it is, is on the future purchase list for me. If it's just me my little Kelty 3 person works fine. But when I take the family places me, wife, 2 kids, however many dogs my wife can sneak into the Jeep. You quickly run out of room.

How does everyone like these big boxy gazelle tents in high wind conditions? I've held off on larger tents for years for this reason. I've camped in some pretty hellacious wind conditions and don't want the tent collapsing in on me.
If it blows away its strong enough to hold your weight Joshua ! Someone posted awhile back that their t3 held up to 60 mph gusts. They didn't say if they were in it though !

Reactions: Downs

darin.explore

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

South Jordan, UT, USA
First Name
Darin
Last Name
Maxwell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VAD
The T4 is a great tent, you will enjoy it. We use 2 REI camp cots in ours and have room to have a small table and a chair if needed.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
The T4 is a great tent, you will enjoy it. We use 2 REI camp cots in ours and have room to have a small table and a chair if needed.
Plus you can store a ton of item under the cots.

Reactions: Downs

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey crew! Remember to check OLB store when shopping - we offer an appreciation discount to all OLB Members on everything we carry. Log in with your member email! In this case, it's $225 for members with free shipping in lower 48. Not much, but hey - a six pack of your favorite mediocre beverage on us :)

Corrie

Rank VII
Staff member
Founder 500
Supporter

Protector II

Placer County, California, United States
First Name
Corrie
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Hey crew! Remember to check OLB store when shopping - we offer an appreciation discount to all OLB Members on everything we carry. Log in with your member email! In this case, it's $225 for members with free shipping in lower 48. Not much, but hey - a six pack of your favorite mediocre beverage on us :)

That's easily a 30 pack of Natty Ice. Just sayin'.

John21powerwagon

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Miller
Member #

I use the T3 for work and pleasure. The fact that I can have a chair, stand up and quickly setup and take down sold it on me. I’m starting to see more of them at fire camps. Downside? Folds up to the size of an Ez Up.

edit - Yes, I’ve used the tent in the rain, no leaks and I use a cheap entry rug from Walmart to protect the floor from my chair and debris.

Last edited:

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

Thanks for the reminder @Michael
I just ordered a T3X, $216 & free shipping!!!!

Reactions: dziner

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thanks for the reminder @Michael
I just ordered a T3X, $216 & free shipping!!!!
I dont see that much difference between the old t3 and the new t3x other than a $40 price increase. For the money difference I would buy a t4 instead of a t3x if I were buying today. Now that I have a cargo trailer my t3 will make a nice hang out addition in the day to my camp site (if I ever get there)...

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I dont see that much difference between the old t3 and the new t3x other than a $40 price increase. For the money difference I would buy a t4 instead of a t3x if I were buying today. Now that I have a cargo trailer my t3 will make a nice hang out addition in the day to my camp site (if I ever get there)...
The new T3X is taller... I need to look at the specs again, but it looks like it’s almost as tall as the t4.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I think it's 69" but I could be wrong.
68” high, same as the old T3... the new T3X is 76”x82” instead of 76”x76” and its stored size is 2” shorter than its predecessor. Also the new tent is using the new fabric found in the redesigned T4 Plus, T8, and the T4 Overland Edition.

dbkurth

Rank 0

Contributor I

Wever, IA, USA
First Name
Dale
Last Name
Kurth
I have a T3 and a T4. I love them both. l like the look of the new improvements on the T3X. I have never had much trouble in the wind. I was at a music festival when a horrific storm rolled in and wiped out most tents and camps. The T3 stood there proud. Somebody offered to buy it. I am 6'3" and the headroom is so nice. The T3 is a little short on floor space for a cot in my opinion. I have used one in it before. It worked, but it was wall to wall. Love Gazelle products.

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
Is there a store in SoCal that has these tents for sale so I can see it in person. I really like them but they also have a lot of "features" that I am concerned about.

Reactions: dziner