Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hadley Massachusetts
First Name
Tim
Last Name
L
Member #

Definitely regear, I had 35x12.50r17 on my old 2011 sierra 5.3/6speed 3.42's and regretted it. Definitely needed more gearing. I won't put 35's under my 17 sierra unless I regear it.
We run 35’s on our shop truck and don’t really notice an issue. That being said I personally don’t drive it 24/7 and don’t tow anything. So that might be a reason why also.

Razorrc

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Everson, PA, USA
First Name
MICHAEL
Last Name
SULKOWSKI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTB684
We run 35’s on our shop truck and don’t really notice an issue. That being said I personally don’t drive it 24/7 and don’t tow anything. So that might be a reason why also.
I drove it daily. It had get up and go when at speed to merge onto the highway and stuff but was a dog when taking off from a stop or climbing hills. But I cleared 35's on that 11 with 2.5 level and 1.25 body lift . The truck looked amazing, got lots of compliments on it.1552321385205_20170729_212053.jpeg

12AMJKU

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hadley Massachusetts
First Name
Tim
Last Name
L
Member #

I drove it daily. It had get up and go when at speed to merge onto the highway and stuff but was a dog when taking off from a stop or climbing hills. But I cleared 35's on that 11 with 2.5 level and 1.25 body lift . The truck looked amazing, got lots of compliments on it.View attachment 88977
That is a sharp looking truck. They look so good lifted. [emoji1303]

Ajwcotton

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Kansas
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0RIE
don't need a 7 inch. I have a zone offroad 6 inch with some BDS parts, you just have to get wheels that don't have a massive offset. A buddy has 34.8's on a fox coilover setup its only like 3 inches and all he had to do is trim the air dam and zip tie the inner fender he also got wheels with low offset.

Reactions: dp454so

12AMJKU

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hadley Massachusetts
First Name
Tim
Last Name
L
Member #

don't need a 7 inch. I have a zone offroad 6 inch with some BDS parts, you just have to get wheels that don't have a massive offset. A buddy has 34.8's on a fox coilover setup its only like 3 inches and all he had to do is trim the air dam and zip tie the inner fender he also got wheels with low offset.
Yes. I should have said 7 inch lift if you have factory 20’s or want to run 20 in wheels.

GR8WHTE

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Orange County, CA, USA
First Name
Dylan
Last Name
Verrastro
Member #

Here is my truck 14 Silverado 1500 4x4
Has Camburg upper arms
2.5” Kings. (Truck is lifted 2.5” up front)
17” methods
315/70/17 falken wildpeaks at3w
I trimmed the inner fender well a bit, just the carpeted areas. I still rub barely on full lock. Doesn’t bother me and doesn’t hurt the tires at all

Attachments

Red Stick

Rank 0

Contributor I

Here is my truck 14 Silverado 1500 4x4
Has Camburg upper arms
2.5” Kings. (Truck is lifted 2.5” up front)
17” methods
315/70/17 falken wildpeaks at3w
I trimmed the inner fender well a bit, just the carpeted areas. I still rub barely on full lock. Doesn’t bother me and doesn’t hurt the tires at all
Nice truck!

ClaxtonK

Rank 0

Contributor I

Henderson, NV
First Name
Colton
Last Name
Kelly
Hello everyone! So I was trying to get some knowledge on the impacts of attempting to fit 35"s on a Silverado and I would greatly appreciate anyone input.

Current set up: 2017 Z71 4x4 5.3l V8 Silverado Leveled 2.5" with Goodyear Wargler Duratrack 31"s
What transmission do you have? If it's the 6 speed, you probably should regear to yukon 4.11's. If it's the 8 speeds, you don't need to regear. These guys that are telling you to don't know what they're talking about without all of the information.

lucky_strike

Rank III

Contributor I

What transmission do you have? If it's the 6 speed, you probably should regear to yukon 4.11's. If it's the 8 speeds, you don't need to regear. These guys that are telling you to don't know what they're talking about without all of the information.

weather or not you have the 6 speed or 8 speed isn't the end all decision maker in deciding if you need to re-gear. also Yukon is a brand...it wouldn't be his only option. I have the 6 speed in mine with 3:73 gears. I like the way it drives so and where the shift points now lay. I will not be re-gearing mine.
however I have a friend who has the same trans with the same gear ratio. he regeared to 4:56. going from a 3:73 to a 4:10 is a waste of money on 35's. typically you wont be able to tell the difference. IF YOU ARE going to regear then just save yourself some time and go 4:56.

if one day I start towing or taking this particular offroad frequently I will be going 4:56

the eight speeds are less likely to need a regear. but again it depends on the gear ratio you have in your truck. the 8 speed will help with the tire increase...but like I said....it isn't a miracle worker.

lift it. drive it. decide if regearing is right for you.

ClaxtonK

Rank 0

Contributor I

Henderson, NV
First Name
Colton
Last Name
Kelly
weather or not you have the 6 speed or 8 speed isn't the end all decision maker in deciding if you need to re-gear. also Yukon is a brand...it wouldn't be his only option. I have the 6 speed in mine with 3:73 gears. I like the way it drives so and where the shift points now lay. I will not be re-gearing mine.
however I have a friend who has the same trans with the same gear ratio. he regeared to 4:56. going from a 3:73 to a 4:10 is a waste of money on 35's. typically you wont be able to tell the difference. IF YOU ARE going to regear then just save yourself some time and go 4:56.

if one day I start towing or taking this particular offroad frequently I will be going 4:56

the eight speeds are less likely to need a regear. but again it depends on the gear ratio you have in your truck. the 8 speed will help with the tire increase...but like I said....it isn't a miracle worker.

lift it. drive it. decide if regearing is right for you.
You ought to read and understand every word before replying. I said he didn't NEED to regear with an 8 speed. And no kidding Yukons are a brand, I suggested them and that ratio because they're a reliable brand and that ratio would be fitting for 35's.

Last edited:
Reactions: lucky_strike

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

Alright everyone, Finally did it! Here are the details.
3.5" lift
35" BFG KO2 12.5 wide
Replaced from bumper with Westin automotive Promod bumper
Norcal Cut the back of front wheel wells. (added about 1.5" of clearance and did it clean so it looks factory when plactic is put back on)
didn't regear as I have the tow package on my truck with 3.73 gears. Its pushing my luck but handing it fine. 104608

Bowtied13

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burton
3.5" lift
35" BFG KO2 12.5 wide
Norcal Cut the back of front wheel wells. (added about 1.5" of clearance and did it clean so it looks factory when plactic is put back on)
didn't regear as I have the tow package on my truck with 3.73 gears. Its pushing my luck but handing it fine. View attachment 104608
Looks awesome! I love how you fit 35s and it doesn't look overly tall and top heavy. I plan on purchasing a crewcab Silverado as well when I start my build and I was thinking 33s would be the biggest I'd go because I didn't want to have to lift it too much. But this is making me rethink that. Can't wait to see it on youtube!
I also wish that Westin auto (or anyone else) made bumpers like that for the 99-07 Silverado because that'll be the model that I'm getting

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
3.5" lift
35" BFG KO2 12.5 wide
didn't regear as I have the tow package on my truck with 3.73 gears. Its pushing my luck but handing it fine. View attachment 104608
Sweet Silverado right there!

Reactions: 805RADO

MetalMatt1776

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Lexington, OK, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Linthicum
Member #

I don't own a Chevy but a former co-worker of mine has a newer model 2500 with 35s and 6" lift. Even with a 6" lift he still had to trim metal. His wheel offset could be a factor here though as his wheels are rather wide and definitely have a negative offset. I've heard budget lifts on the Chevys are more prone to rub also; apparently they reduce the track width and adversely affect suspension geometry.

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

Looks awesome! I love how you fit 35s and it doesn't look overly tall and top heavy. I plan on purchasing a crewcab Silverado as well when I start my build and I was thinking 33s would be the biggest I'd go because I didn't want to have to lift it too much. But this is making me rethink that. Can't wait to see it on youtube!
I also wish that Westin auto (or anyone else) made bumpers like that for the 99-07 Silverado because that'll be the model that I'm getting
Thank you! ya that was my goal, keep it as low as possible and as big as tires as possible. The silverados are def neglected when it comes to aftermarket parts. good luck with the build!

Reactions: Bowtied13