Favorite truck bed setups with no topper?

• HTML tutorial

ChrispyChris

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Hi, I was wondering what everyone's favorite setups are like for an open truck bed. Whether you have an RTT, bed rack, or whatever, I'd like to know your thoughts/preferences.
I'm thinking of doing a crossbar kind of system to mount two Plano boxes to with a nice big kitchen box on the Tundra.

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

Awesome! Is that your favorite setup that you've run so far?
Yes it's so far the most versatile. I do miss having a completely covered shell sometimes though. Depending on the trail dust will cake all the gear in the bed since it's all open...

Sent from my SM-G930T using OB Talk mobile app

Tex68w

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Victoria, Texas
Member #

I like the coverage and security of the fiberglass shell, but the durability is questionable at best. I like the Leitner Rack as well, but the fact that the supports go down into the bed doesn't allow for the use of a bed cover to provide security and storage. I have been going back and forth in my head and I have decided on the Nuthouse Industries Tech 2 Series Bed rack with a their roll-n-lock bed cover. It's pricey, but custom made and by far the best system I've seen out there.

squishware

Rank III

Advocate II

Redwood City, CA, USA
First Name
batman
Last Name
jones
I am trying to re-energize excitement about the plan for my f150. Contractors cap (windowless) with barn doors at the rear. My bed is 6.5 feet so wheel well height drawer and mattress on top. Integrated rack on cap for solar and perhaps a box for lightweight storage. Awning over the back doors (at least) or a 270 degree one. I want to be able to secure EVERYTHING in the back, kill switch for the truck so I could leave it in the back country for a week or two and be alright.
Another option I have been interested in is the rooftop tent mounted so the (closed) top edge is level with the top of the cab. I am not sure how much that setup STILL effects the COG...

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

was trying to figure out what to do with the bed on my '16 Tundra.. I didn't want a fiberglass topper. I liked the CanBak {but not the price for my application} and I thought of a Softopper but didn't think it'd be able to hold additional outer framework for "stuff".. Sooo, I built my own..I found a used DECKED drawer system and sleep on top of that with a couple of self inflating mats. I did, however, make my topper full coverage..I liked the Lietner set up but didn't want a RTT. Sleeping in the bed, under cover with the ability to mount Rotopax on the sides and a large cargo pack on top, in the basket works out great.. Now, I'm on the search for an awning {possibly a 270*} and we purchased a shower tent where I'll have the water bag mounted at the rear corner{s}.

Noahoscar986

Rank 0

Traveler I

USA
I dont know posting of a link is allowed or not, But for your convenience I paste here a link of an online store it is the nest bedding coupons, last month I bought a mattress for my jeep at a reasonable price, hope it also works for you.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I have ran three different rack setups and a shell. Right now I'm running a leitner design active cargo system with my rtt......

Sent from my SM-P550 using OB Talk mobile app

Is the 1fitty just leveled with rapter wheels or what do you have for lifts? We just got a 150 and thinking about just leveling it at putting rapter wheels in it sense we found tire and wheel for 500. If you leveled it did you have to replace stock upper controls Had a ram that if you leveled the front you had to do uppers too.

Love the look!

Reactions: Raul B

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

I use a Yakima bedrock and cross bar set up which keeps the Yakima RTT just below the roof line of my truck (02 Ranger 4x4). I have a three bin (Plano) set up. 2 medium (kitchen, pantry) and one longer one for20171215_172919.jpg general camp stuff plus a 7 gal water can and a 5+ gal fuel can with room for some firewood or misc junk). I can reach into the tent when it is deployed while standing on ground and the low rack prevents easy access to my stuff. Problem is that if I leave the rig somewhere for a hike or parked in town I need to back up to a wall, tree, boulder or something so that the tailgate can't just be popped open and my gear unloaded by someone else.

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

Think he was talking about mounting or locking it down with lil work space?

Like the set up but was wondering how you lock it down for the rtt
Gotcha. Running the length of the truck bed on top of the cover are 2 - 2" square hollow steel tubing that slide into some square brackets and are secured with clevis pins. Then the tent has 3 - 1" square hollow aluminum tubing that are permanently mounted to the tent.

When I lower the tent onto the truck the aluminum cross members rest on top of the steel tubing. When it's settled I use the clevis pins to secure it. IF I'm leaving the tent on for a longer trip I'll use bolts for a little more security.

The Clevis pins are similar to this photo: