CB or HAM?

• HTML tutorial

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I'm not sure how I feel about RF for switches. A friend was telling me there is a new product out at SEMA this year that uses a remote-mounted illuminated membrane-contact panel linked to a solid-state switch unit. The whole thing is solid-state so there are no relays to fail. If you run lighting from it the whole thing is programable and can do things like strobe your off road lights in an emergency.

It sounds pretty slick.

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

I'm not sure how I feel about RF for switches. A friend was telling me there is a new product out at SEMA this year that uses a remote-mounted illuminated membrane-contact panel linked to a solid-state switch unit. The whole thing is solid-state so there are no relays to fail. If you run lighting from it the whole thing is programable and can do things like strobe your off road lights in an emergency.

It sounds pretty slick.
sounds like the high end SPOD SE

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I think the one my friend saw was closer to the $400 mark and used membrane contacts instead of a touch screen. That is a nice piece of kit, but I think it's overkill as a light switch. Edit: www.switch-pros.com is the one I was trying to remember.

Last edited:

Rorschach

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Huntington Beach, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Niederhauser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ULA
Wow, that switch is a great setup and may solve a problem I am having with room. I know I am jumping on here but wanted to say I am glad you posted that link, thanks.

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

We use CBs for communication with out group on trips but I have been thinking about adding ham to my setup. I know one of the bigger overloading events here in the US was moving towards it being a requirement to enter. It would be nice if there was a unit that combined both for ease of install and less equipment to find a location for. That's one thing I really like about my Cobra 75, all controls are on the mic and everything else is hidden behind the dash.

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

We use CBs for communication with out group on trips but I have been thinking about adding ham to my setup. I know one of the bigger overloading events here in the US was moving towards it being a requirement to enter. It would be nice if there was a unit that combined both for ease of install and less equipment to find a location for. That's one thing I really like about my Cobra 75, all controls are on the mic and everything else is hidden behind the dash.
MarkW, Many of the mobile VHF/UHF units have detachable controls. This is a bit more than the Cobra 75, but if you look at the photos of my truck, you'll see that most of the radio components are mounted under the seats, with only the control heads, and mics exposed

This is under the driver's seat. (seat removed during installation)

Reactions: MarkW

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

MarkW, Many of the mobile VHF/UHF units have detachable controls. This is a bit more than the Cobra 75, but if you look at the photos of my truck, you'll see that most of the radio components are mounted under the seats, with only the control heads, and mics exposed

This is under the driver's seat. (seat removed during installation)

Very nice @Lars I will definitely be doing some more research and most likely adding HAM this coming year.

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
There are but you have to be careful. I have a Yaesu 857 that is an all band all mode. It dose UHF/VHF and HF.

The leagel limits of what you can output on CB are really low compared to Ham Radio. It can work 11m or CB frequencies but it will only dial down to 5 watts of output. On CB frequencies you are not supposed to exceed 4 watts on AM which where nost CB operate. If you want to get fancy with your CB-ing you can go and use sin- sideband (SSB) wich allows you to go up to 12 watts. The problem there is that just like Ham or CB, you hsve to find someone else using CB SSB or it is all for nothing.

Now you may think what is the big deal there. Well if take a radio like mine and run it up to 100 watts while sitting next to your buddies rig you could fry there radio. You also have to keep track of your antennas transmitting on the wrong antenna will bamage your radio pritty quickly.

The nice thing with most radios like mine is that the UHF/VHF and HF are two different outputs so I can run with two antennas. One for HF (including CB on 11Meters) and one that is UHF/VHF for the local repeaters and simplex for Trail Com when out with othef Ham Rigs. The other nice thing with the Yaesu 857 is that you can separate the head from the main radio so that the body is tucked a way in a convenient place to get all the wiring and the head is up front for easy operation.

Reactions: MarkW

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

There are but you have to be careful. I have a Yaesu 857 that is an all band all mode. It dose UHF/VHF and HF.

All great info, thanks. I like the size of the 857 and the removable head.

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

I would like to note with regards to CB, that in the United States any radio that does not have an FCC Part-95 certification is not legal to operate on the 11M Citizens Band.

This isn't to say the amateur radio gear isn't capable of following the rules and regs, but in the US Citizens band licensing is attached to the equipment, and not the operator. I'm unaware of any Amateur radio equipment that also has an FCC Part-95 certification for the Citizens Band.

Reactions: VCeXpedition

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Is CB even an authorized band under amateur radio? In other words, even if you are operating on CB band, you are operating under FCC regs governing CB and may have to comply with CB power requirements.

?

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Is CB even an authorized band under amateur radio? In other words, even if you are operating on CB band, you are operating under FCC regs governing CB and may have to comply with CB power requirements.

?
My understanding is there are very few regulations regarding CB but there are power limits you are supposed to abide by.

Meta6981

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Dewey, AZ
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Emerdinger
Member #

I have both a CB and a quad band ham radio in my Cruiser. That said, if I was going to only get one radio it would be a ham radio.

Consider this email as just information for any of you who might be interested in ham radio. I have an Amateur Extra license, however, the minimum license that is required to operate a ham radio is Technician--which is extremely easy to get. Usually, when you say the words "ham radio" one has the image of some very nerdy/geeky guy with lots of crazy radio and electronic equipment, and yes the ham world does have some of those folks. Having said that, there are a lot of folks who look at the world we live in and think I really need a way to communicate in remote areas or in an emergency. Also, the trend in recent years, in the off-road/overland community, has been to move away from using CBs and move towards using ham radio. At one time becoming a ham was not so easy. A lot of hams built their own radios, had to learn Morse code, etc. Becoming a ham these days couldn't be easier. The entry level to the ham world (and probably all you will ever need) is the Technician license and Morse coded is no longer a requirement.

I highly recommend you get your ham Technician license if you haven't already done so. It is super easy to do. You can pick up an inexpensive Baofeng UV-5R radio (5 watts) which cost around $30.00, the Ham Test Online (https://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/) course cost only $24.95 and taking the 35 question Technician exam is only $15. So, basically, for less than $100 and about ten hours of your time (for study) you can be ready to go. Too easy and inexpensive not to do it! Baofeng has just released another radio, the F8HP (8 watts). Both radios listed above are great radios, especially, for the price. If you are into survival preps (as well as off-road) you should consider getting a ham radio and getting your Technician license.

There are also additional antenna upgrades you can get for the Baofeng, i.e. a 16 inch antenna to replace the “rubber duck” antenna, a vehicle mount antenna, as well as a Slim Jim J-pole antenna for your base camp. Later on you may want to pick up a 50 watt 2 meter radio for your vehicle in order to increase your range.

For what it’s worth the overland community has an unofficial “official” overland frequency which is 146.460. If you have any questions send me an email and I'll see what I can do to help.

I wanted to ask what band split UV-5R do you have? If there is even a difference. Eventually I want to get on HAM and get my licensing. Great information here! love it!

Thanks
-Trevor

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

My understanding is there are very few regulations regarding CB but there are power limits you are supposed to abide by.
The License for using the Citizens Band (CB) is attached to the Radio. CB Radios require FCC Type Acceptance (which means anything without an FCC Part-95 Sub Part D license is not legal to operate on the 11M Citizens Band.)

There are actually quite a few rules and regulations. Most of which are ignored, but that doesn't make it any less against the law.

Scott K

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Berkeley Springs, WV, USA
First Name
SCOTT
Last Name
KEILMAN
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1BOP
As others have stated, HAM is definitely a great option. I have both. I have my tech license, and have looked at upgrading, but I think I will stick to 2m/ 70 cm for now. It really depends on what part of the country you are in as to what bands are active. I have a midland CB and 2 Icom radios, both are mobile set ups. I gave the ID 51 plus handie talkie (for the non hams, this is how they are referred to) and I just picked up a ID 5100. I am waiting on a couple of items to complete install on the latter.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: norseman

BuddyLe3

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cannelton, Indiana
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Gilmore
Member #

Hand held CB's vs an actual unit. Are the hand held ones a good alternative if room is limited or are they garbage compared to a full size unit and antenna and I should just make room?

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

Hand held CB's vs an actual unit. Are the hand held ones a good alternative if room is limited or are they garbage compared to a full size unit and antenna and I should just make room?
Hand held radios are fine, as long as you connect them to a permanent antenna. The Citizens Band is 11M wavelength, so a 1/4 wave antenna is around 9 feet long. (think about holding that for a bit.)

As for "space is at a premium." I'd like to point you at three photos. It's possible to fit a CB in virtually every rig.

Cobra 75 WX ST

Midland 75-822 convertable

AnyTone Smart CB

Last edited by a moderator:

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
X2 on the cobra @Lars mentioned. I have that and when the antenna is properly tuned, it's a great radio. One downside is the hand set gets warm with frequent use. I have both handheld and the cobra, handheld is ok when you're outside the car in very close proximity. Go with a permanent mount and spend some $ on a good antenna, and get it tuned.

Sent from the future using outdated technology. On Tapatalk.

BuddyLe3

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cannelton, Indiana
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Gilmore
Member #

@Lars and @fj80toyman thanks for the information. Didn't realize they were that small of a unit. They have come a long way since the days of my grandfathers semi-truck. Last question...do the antennas come with the units or is that a separate purchase in itself. Thanks in advance