Camby, Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Although I have a full size cb in my Jeep, I also carry a cheap handheld (Midland 75-785, less than $40 on Amazon) that I use as a "loaner" when traveling with folks that have no coms. Loaned it to a new acquaintance this weekend while offroading; it worked great as long as we stayed within a mile of each other.

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app
Ya I had a very nice full size set up in the rubicon I had. The rugged ridge adapter above the rearview was the best invention ever then a firestik on the spare tire mount was a rock solid setup

Montazuma

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Hurricane,Utah
First Name
Dana
Last Name
Jones
Member #

View attachment 24122 I prefer ham (HF/VHF/UHF), but have CB available as it's still the gold standard for most off roaders around here.....unfortunately.

Overly priced and it has since disappeared, not on their site, press release gone, youtube video gone..... POOF... just like that.
I just got an email about it last week from Rugged. The entire Offroad racing community uses Rugged Radios. Ham is great but a pain in the neck at times. Rugged is one and done.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Montazuma

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Hurricane,Utah
First Name
Dana
Last Name
Jones
Member #

I just got an email about it last week from Rugged. The entire Offroad racing community uses Rugged Radios. Ham is great but a pain in the neck at times. Rugged is one and done.

Rugged said they put unit on hold because of a power issue and hope to re-release it in a few months. That is why it disappeared.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
We have a meet up group called the Sierra Foothills and at our last meeting all in attendance decided to make Ham the standard, so far one has passed the ham technician test and more to pass within the next couple of months.

Reactions: TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
We have a meet up group called the Sierra Foothills and at our last meeting all in attendance decided to make Ham the standard, so far one has passed the ham technician test and more to pass within the next couple of months.
You can go here and see if there are any of the free Laurel test sessions in your area!

https://www.laurelvec.com/?pg=exams

Contributor III

Member #

Ive got CB and FRS radios for those in my group without CB. HAM is definteily in my furture legally so I am getting licensce

Reactions: Kent R

Michael G.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Orleans, Louisiana
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Gauthreaux
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W5AZA
Both.... HAM is better with distance and important communications.... CB because a lot of people have CB and a lot of trail rides can require CB.

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
Hello everyone,

I am a new Overland Bound member and I am also new to overlanding. I am from the UK, however I am spending 6 months of the year exploring North America and I am keen to get my HAM radio licence. Early Jan I will be travelling from near Toronto where my dad and my truck lives to head west to collect my Truck Camper Shell to put on my truck which is in Port Townsend, WA. My question is can anyone tell me of any day courses I could attend in the USA to get my Technician Licence?

Reactions: Prerunner1982

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hello everyone,

I am a new Overland Bound member and I am also new to overlanding. I am from the UK, however I am spending 6 months of the year exploring North America and I am keen to get my HAM radio licence. Early Jan I will be travelling from near Toronto where my dad and my truck lives to head west to collect my Truck Camper Shell to put on my truck which is in Port Townsend, WA. My question is can anyone tell me of any day courses I could attend in the USA to get my Technician Licence?
fallow the advice below, it’s where I found my testing locations.

Reactions: Amanda C

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Hello everyone,

While it costs a few dollars this company makes it easy to pass the tests. I used them years ago.

Reactions: Amanda C

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Hello Amanda (@Amanda C ) welcome from Okahoma.
It appears there is a one day class in Spokane Valley on Jan 18th. This is a bit of a drive from where you will be and may not even be in the direction you were going to go...
1576505301653.png

However, the Technician license test isn't all that difficult and you should be able to pass it with a little study time.
I have used both of the following:
HamStudy.org: Cutting edge amateur radio study tools - I typically recommend doing the flashcards first that way you only see the question and correct answer. That way when you take the practice test (and the real test) the right answers will jump out at you.
No-Nonsense Study Guides - KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog - Good PDF study guide reading material.

It's also much easier to find a testing session in your area than it is a class.
1576505736303.png