CB or HAM?

• HTML tutorial

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

you'll need to pick up the antenna separate. The Midland I linked comes with a handy talky antenna, but as mentioned before... it's junk. (nowhere near 9 feet long.... :) )

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

My radio buddy says to get a Wilson 1000 magnetic Base mobile antenna paired up with a Uniden Pro520XL for a good starter set-up. Opinions? I like the way the firestick looks off the rear of a SUV but understand function is more sensible. Obviously a 62" whip on the top of the vehicle would perform better. What are your experiences, if any, with these setups? I am also partial to the 980 SSB that has more bling. Hahaha!

Reactions: Luis Merlo

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Got it all together about a yr ago. I also have a small Cobra that fits right in the dash slot.

When I'm ready to hit the trail at simply install the magnet mount on the roof running the coax in the window and I'm out on the road. I have to remove it at night otherwise it'll be gone in the morning. Lots of Knuckleheads around here that ransack Vehicles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Overland Bound Talk mobile app

Luis Merlo

OB1962

Influencer II

Collingwood Park, Queensland,4301
First Name
Luis
Last Name
Merlo
Member #

I have been using the Midland 75-822 hooked up to an external 27mhz whip with a speaker mic (luckily my touring group all prefer 11 mts) UHF CB is also on option here, even though it's FM , the range is somewhat crappy.
What i like about using the handheld as a mobile rig, once i reach my destination i can connect the BNC whip and off I go !10329293_10208205079187724_5326105093392748979_n.jpg

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

Little late to the discussion but as very few have discussed the sat options I'll throw in my $.02

I have a CB/HAM 2M,70CM/Delorem Inreach.

In a perfect world I'd ditch the CB. But it's there to talk with those who don't have a HAM.

For communication within a group, the HAM is a far superior tool than a CB. It's a high defition 70" TV verse an old 12" black and white TV with a piece of aluminum foil for an antenna. Others have posted other abilities like use of repeaters. If you don't already, get a HAM.

If I were in a group of any size I'd pick a HAM as my only comms if I had to choose. But only if the others in the group had them as well.

Now if I'm traveling solo then the Delorem becomes the best tool IMO. I can text and receive text from anywhere in the world. When I do so, my exact location is attached. This is great for checking in with the wife to reassure her I have not killed her only child who often accompanies me. I can view maps and send a bread crumb trail for friends and family to view. And of course I can hit the SOS button for the fastest emergency response possible. I can also post text to Facebook with the Delorme if I so choose. It includes my location as well.

Last edited:

Chief Indy

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Camby, Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I cant say I ever ran or known anyone to run HAM I met a random HAM club up on flagpole knob in Virginia they had a very impressive setup talking to Argentina etc. I personally ran a President Johhny III with a 2 foot firestik and did fine on trails and highway. I am now in the process of figuring out how to run a CB in my Tacoma I am not one for shanty mounting it has to be clean and secure. When I get it in ill post up pictures. Good ol channel 19 to the rescue!

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

I have CB and 2M ham and two 2M handhelds for our backpacks. 65w vs 4w ...
No brainer. A good place to buy the 2M is HRO, ham radio outlet, if they don't have a store in your state no sales tax and free shipping, with great customer service

Reactions: shoredreamer

Montazuma

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Hurricane,Utah
First Name
Dana
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Rugged Raidos are a great option. They just came out with a combo unit . VHF/UHF/CB all in one. Very nice setup...

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Chief Indy

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Camby, Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Anyone use one of the handheld cb? Like the cobra 38wxst? Seems like a good option for the weekend warrior or guys who dont want to drill on their new rig

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Mobile Command.jpg I prefer ham (HF/VHF/UHF), but have CB available as it's still the gold standard for most off roaders around here.....unfortunately.

Rugged Raidos are a great option. They just came out with a combo unit . VHF/UHF/CB all in one. Very nice setup...
Overly priced and it has since disappeared, not on their site, press release gone, youtube video gone..... POOF... just like that.

Reactions: TerryD

Obi-Juan

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern California - San Fernando Valley
First Name
John
Last Name
Lechuga
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JKL
View attachment 24122 I prefer ham (HF/VHF/UHF), but have CB available as it's still the gold standard for most off roaders around here.....unfortunately.

Overly priced and it has since disappeared, not on their site, press release gone, youtube video gone..... POOF... just like that.
What is the model number? I'd like to keep an eye out for it on the secondary market. :)

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I've been looking at one of those recently but haven't been able to pull the trigger on one. I had wanted the 857D until I found the 480SAT. I really like the Kenwood stuff but I'm wanting to upgrade my shack before I get a mobile HF. Man it looks good sitting there though.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I like it and it works well. My first HF radio so I don't have a lot of compare it to.
I do like that it is not as menu driven, most anything I need to adjust somewhat often is a button push away.
I use hamstick antennas.

VladTheInstaller

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Clearlake, CA 95422
Member #

Anyone use one of the handheld cb? Like the cobra 38wxst? Seems like a good option for the weekend warrior or guys who dont want to drill on their new rig
Although I have a full size cb in my Jeep, I also carry a cheap handheld (Midland 75-785, less than $40 on Amazon) that I use as a "loaner" when traveling with folks that have no coms. Loaned it to a new acquaintance this weekend while offroading; it worked great as long as we stayed within a mile of each other.

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app