...but it's a Subaru Outback?! Build thread.

• HTML tutorial

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Fantastic build! I'm working on a Gen 5 Outback build right now and it's great to be inspired by rides like yours :-)
Thank you very much! I look forward to seeing your build and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

How's the roof rack with the moonroof? Does yours cover the moonroof?
It covers it. I use it for light rarely, venting sometimes, and for checking the basket only. It's VERY loud when open on the highway.

Reactions: izzmonster40

K7CWJ

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Keizer, OR
Member #

Thank you very much! I look forward to seeing your build and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

It covers it. I use it for light rarely, venting sometimes, and for checking the basket only. It's VERY loud when open on the highway.
Got my wheels (Method 502s) & tires (245/65 R17 KO2s) today! Next weekend sees the lift kit installed- 3 inches total. Springs and spacers. I'll start a build thread one of these days.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Got my wheels (Method 502s) & tires (245/65 R17 KO2s) today! Next weekend sees the lift kit installed- 3 inches total. Springs and spacers. I'll start a build thread one of these days
Looking great @K7CWJ!

WhatTheZo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego
Member #

Are you going 2" with the spacers and 1" from the springs? What springs are you going with?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Got my wheels (Method 502s) & tires (245/65 R17 KO2s) today! Next weekend sees the lift kit installed- 3 inches total. Springs and spacers. I'll start a build thread one of these days.

How is the clearance with the 245's on the stock suspension? I was thinking of only going to 235/65/17 Yokahama Geolander A/T GO15's with a 2" lift on my 2017 2.5i. Can you post some closeup photos of the front and rear tires?

K7CWJ

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Keizer, OR
Member #

Are you going 2" with the spacers and 1" from the springs? What springs are you going with?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
2" Spacers front and back. (Sumo)
King Springs up front - standard height but stiffer so not as much squat.

Rallitek 1.5" SuperRaised overload springs in back.

The tires net me about 1/2 an inch of extra ground clearance. Altogether I'm estimating about three inches of lift.

OffroadSubaru.com offers a pair of 1" lift springs for the front. I'm sure they are quality. I elected to go with Kings before I knew about them so I'll see how the Kings are but I might swap them out for the ORS springs if I want more lift upfront. I hear good things about the Kings though.

Reactions: QuarterAfter

K7CWJ

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Keizer, OR
Member #

How is the clearance with the 245's on the stock suspension? I was thinking of only going to 235/65/17 Yokahama Geolander A/T GO15's with a 2" lift on my 2017 2.5i. Can you post some closeup photos of the front and rear tires?
Zero clearance issues with the new tires, lock to lock! Here's a few pics. There's about a thumbs width of clearance with the fronts and slightly less than that in the rears. Regarding mud flaps with the 245/65, I've heard it both ways - either you can or can't fit them. I haven't tried yet so I can't say. It looks like there's room at first glance.

Attachments

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
As I said previously in one of these threads 245/65 is the biggest you can go. Lifting has no real effect on where you would rub. With that said in this size the G015s have a wider cross section than the K02s and with a 45 offset (10mm difference from OE) wheel I had very slight rubbing. You would think tire size is tire size but it isn't.

2" Spacers front and back. (Sumo)
King Springs up front - standard height but stiffer so not as much squat.

Rallitek 1.5" SuperRaised overload springs in back.

The tires net me about 1/2 an inch of extra ground clearance. Altogether I'm estimating about three inches of lift.

OffroadSubaru.com offers a pair of 1" lift springs for the front. I'm sure they are quality. I elected to go with Kings before I knew about them so I'll see how the Kings are but I might swap them out for the ORS springs if I want more lift upfront. I hear good things about the Kings though.
You're probably going to end up with a pretty good forward rake. The rear springs/blocks are going to have you at 3.75" even with some weight and while the front springs will resist squatting when loaded OE height is OE height. Also start gathering the heaviest items you own to help the rear springs settle haha. They are silly stiff out of the box.

K7CWJ

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Keizer, OR
Member #

Sounds like good advice. I'll definitely throw some weight back there at first. Also, I should mention that these rims have a 38mm offset. I did happen to notice today that at full lock while reversing , I noticed a slight rub that I need to look for. It sounded like a side lug so that may not be an issue with a less aggressive tread. Just food for thought. I'll update when I remedy the situation.

Reactions: Young Satchel

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Thanks for the advice Wawa Skittletits I am new to the Subi thing so these comments are a great at helping me set her up right.

Reactions: Liana Lehua

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Thanks for the advice Wawa Skittletits I am new to the Subi thing so these comments are a great at helping me set her up right.
Glad to help. Im trying to remember but I probably wouldn't have had any slight rub issues if I didn't have my rally armor flaps installed at the time. They were installed on top of the OE splash guards. The bottom line though is that it was super slight and was easily remedied. It gets less easy the further you push the wheels out haha. Feel free to DM me if you have any questions.

K7CWJ

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Keizer, OR
Member #

Thank you @Martynas and @ColoradoPacific! No real changes to the car but my rack is getting Rotopax gas/water, a custom setup for my traction jacks, and my hi lift jack base is getting mounted as well. Trying to find a water tight box or boxes that will fit in the remaining space on the rack. My spare takes up so much room up there. Working on plans for my vacant spare tire well and drawer setup. In the meantime I'm still getting out there.

View attachment 12882 View attachment 12883 View attachment 12884 View attachment 12885
Pelican 1730 is the one I have. it fits PERFECTLY in the Yakima Loadwarrior! There's a pic on this thread but it's hard to see how well it fits I'll get some better pics up here when I get a chance. It's not cheap but it will last a lifetime and it's watertight. It looks pretty BA to boot :-)
Edit: I also have my full size spare on the roof.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Pelican 1730 is the one I have. it fits PERFECTLY in the Yakima Loadwarrior! There's a pic on this thread but it's hard to see how well it fits I'll get some better pics up here when I get a chance. It's not cheap but it will last a lifetime and it's watertight. It looks pretty BA to boot :-)
Edit: I also have my full size spare on the roof.
Thank you for the suggestion. I did notice it in your pic and it does look great but as you can see from my CAD drawing I don't have the room for it. The red in the pic represents my Rotopax gas/water and the yellow my traction jacks which will actually mount over the Rotopax and hinge away for access. Until I get to my custom rear bumper i have to contend with that giant purple circle up there haha. I may have found a solution that allows me to move my custom jack and recovery gear up there and still have enough room for my 1 gallon propane cylinder. It's a busy space haha. It hasn't been easy finding something water tight that was less than 12" wide yet still long enough to fit my jack.

image.png

Attachments

Reactions: K7CWJ

K7CWJ

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Keizer, OR
Member #

Thank you for the suggestion. I did notice it in your pic and it does look great but as you can see from my CAD drawing I don't have the room for it. The red in the pic represents my Rotopax gas/water and the yellow my traction jacks which will actually mount over the Rotopax and hinge away for access. Until I get to my custom rear bumper i have to contend with that giant purple circle up there haha. I may have found a solution that allows me to move my custom jack and recovery gear up there and still have enough room for my 1 gallon propane cylinder. It's a busy space haha. It hasn't been easy finding something water tight that was less than 12" wide yet still long enough to fit my jack.

View attachment 15927
Yeah it'll be fun seeing what you come up with for your rack puzzle, not to mention the bumper. I'm planning on mounting the traction jacks to the lid of the Pelican & the rotopax latitudinally on the rack behind the pelican (since it's already poking a huge hole in the air).Here's another option you may already be aware of for a swing away tire mount: https://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchgate-solo/
It's pretty slick but pricey.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Yeah it'll be fun seeing what you come up with for your rack puzzle, not to mention the bumper. I'm planning on mounting the traction jacks to the lid of the Pelican & the rotopax latitudinally on the rack behind the pelican (since it's already poking a huge hole in the air).Here's another option you may already be aware of for a swing away tire mount: https://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchgate-solo/
It's pretty slick but pricey.
I'm familiar with the hitch gate. Unfortunately I don't like any of the hitch options for the Outback because of the way they take away from the departure angle. I'm planning a custom 'in skin' bumper that will have the receiver as well as recovery points coming through the OE bumper. While I'm in there I'm just going to do a custom swing out.

Reactions: K7CWJ