...but it's a Subaru Outback?! Build thread.

• HTML tutorial

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
i use the super raised ones. i tow a teardrop and only have .5" sag. At that point its super level
Well that's perfect because I'd love a teardrop but haven't even gone there with the wife yet haha. How's your camber? At the moment I'm already a little bit positive in the front and a little bit negative in the back. Any Labor Day sales going on over at Off Road Subaru by chance?... :sunglasses:

grantwilson

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

St. augustine, Fl
Member #

Well that's perfect because I'd love a teardrop but haven't even gone there with the wife yet haha. How's your camber? At the moment I'm already a little bit positive in the front and a little bit negative in the back. Any Labor Day sales going on over at Off Road Subaru by chance?... :sunglasses:
lol
yeah buy this last pair I have or pay more for the next ones since they will be one at a time. haha.

All my alignment is in spec. I have zero issues with that. No extra bolts or anything with the ADF kit

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
It is awesome to see something a little different! Great build, keep it up!!
Thank you very much. I recently installed the additional lift Grant and I were going back and forth about as well as a few more things. No pics yet but will share some soon.

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
Nice build and a capable vehicle. I've always liked the Suburu's and it it good to see so many aftermarket parts available for them.

A year ago, I saw an older Suburu Outback (I think, it looked like a wagon, 4 door hatchback model) that was lifted and was on what looked like 33's! I was amazed and it looked like a lean mean off-road machine!

Keep up the wrenching and good work!

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Haven't posted any updates in a while so here we go...

This is a silly little thing but some serious side slopes got me thinking about how it would be nice to know. Having a surprising amount of ground clearance with a low roof line and Subaru drivetrain has great center of gravity benefits but still.

image.jpeg

Since posting the last pics the wagon is higher and more trail/load friendly with RalliTEK rear springs (+1.75") and Offroad Subaru front springs (+1.25").

image.jpeg

The above and below pics were taken at Bald Eagle State Forest here in Pennsylvania. It's a beautiful area with miles and miles of dirt, gravel, mud, and rocks that I've been wanting to explore for a long time.

image.jpeg

I found plenty of deep ruts, deep water, mud, etc..

image.png

Unfortunately there was no cell coverage and the new GoPro app requires you to log in so the camera on my roof was just along for the ride..

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Great shots and a rad build! Really like that Lev-o-gage too. Would make a nice present for The Adventure Wagon[emoji769] when it (hopefully) returns from its loooonnng post-accident sojourn next week.

E

expeditionnorth

Haven't posted any updates in a while so here we go...

This is a silly little thing but some serious side slopes got me thinking about how it would be nice to know. Having a surprising amount of ground clearance with a low roof line and Subaru drivetrain has great center of gravity benefits but still.

View attachment 9871

Since posting the last pics the wagon is higher and more trail/load friendly with RalliTEK rear springs (+1.75") and Offroad Subaru front springs (+1.25").

View attachment 9872

The above and below pics were taken at Bald Eagle State Forest here in Pennsylvania. It's a beautiful area with miles and miles of dirt, gravel, mud, and rocks that I've been wanting to explore for a long time.

View attachment 9873

I found plenty of deep ruts, deep water, mud, etc..

View attachment 9874

Unfortunately there was no cell coverage and the new GoPro app requires you to log in so the camera on my roof was just along for the ride..
cool rig

thats why I used a J mount on the roof & keep the GoPro up there, to access it I reach through the sunroof

havent had great results with the suction cup mount, that keeps falling off....

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Great shots and a rad build! Really like that Lev-o-gage too. Would make a nice present for The Adventure Wagon[emoji769] when it (hopefully) returns from its loooonnng post-accident sojourn next week.
Thank you! Like I said it's a bit silly but it satisfies a curious nature haha. I've actually been expecting some updates on your build thread. Glad to hear it's vacation from the world is coming to an end.

cool rig

thats why I used a J mount on the roof & keep the GoPro up there, to access it I reach through the sunroof

havent had great results with the suction cup mount, that keeps falling off....
Thank you as well. I've gotten so used to controlling it through the app I didn't even think about just hitting the button haha. I go through the roof as well and when we found a patch of coverage on top of a mountain I was able to get it going. Unfortunately by that point the trail portion was nearly over. Thankfully though, I've yet to have an issue with the suction cup.

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Thank you! Like I said it's a bit silly but it satisfies a curious nature haha. I've actually been expecting some updates on your build thread. Glad to hear it's vacation from the world is coming to an end.
Just ordered one Amazon Prime moments ago [emoji41][emoji106]. Thanks for inspiration!

Yeah, it's taken waaaay longer than I hoped mostly due to insurance stuff and then due to the fact I chose to have one shop do the bodywork and my Volvo Indy complete the mechanical portion in an effort to save money. Thank god I have a second Volvo wagon to cart the kids around in in the interim!

Couple bits to go in on return. Nothing super exciting. A dry-filter intake to replace stock, poly lower torque mount, OEM upper mount, and now my lev-o-meter.

Looking forward to getting back on the trail most of all!

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Just ordered one Amazon Prime moments ago
. Thanks for inspiration!

Yeah, it's taken waaaay longer than I hoped mostly due to insurance stuff and then due to the fact I chose to have one shop do the bodywork and my Volvo Indy complete the mechanical portion in an effort to save money. Thank god I have a second Volvo wagon to cart the kids around in in the interim!

Couple bits to go in on return. Nothing super exciting. A dry-filter intake to replace stock, poly lower torque mount, OEM upper mount, and now my lev-o-meter.

Looking forward to getting back on the trail most of all!
Gotta love Prime! I'll be looking forward to new updates. Unfortunately our vehicles get to a point where it comes down to little bits here and there. Hopefully it's this week but I'm installing 1" wheel spacers all around and I'm probably the only person that will notice haha. Also this week I'm hoping my matching 5th wheel/tire will be in.

Reactions: murps

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Couldn't find spacers in the width/hub/pattern that I needed in black so I had to give the 1" H&R spacers a touch of it. Call me OCD but that would have driven me crazy haha.

image.jpeg

Went hunting for a Christmas tree. First year going to this tree farm and they informed us that to access the fields there would be steep hills, rocks, and mud. They have a fleet of pickups that they use to ferry people and trees... I kindly declined :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:. You can see in the pic that it's now "American Standard" flush.

image.jpeg

Gave the car its first half decent bath in ages.

image.jpeg

Since its salt season here in Pennsyltucky the rack is off. Upside; gas mileage is back up and highway rides are quiet as a church mouse again. Downside; it looks better with it in and the spare now resides in the back taking up a chunk of space.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Rad shots! Love the apocalyptic vibe of the last one in particular. My wagon Is finally ready post-accident! Hope to pick it up later this week or early next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Rad shots! Love the apocalyptic vibe of the last one in particular. My wagon Is finally ready post-accident! Hope to pick it up later this week or early next.
Thank you and that's great news! Another sweet long roof returns to the road. There were a million opportunities for amazing pictures yesterday but my son and wife were ready to go haha.

One last snowy pic from yesterday. My reason for sharing it is to show just how much clearance my wagon has in general but especially through the midsection. She's admittedly long in the nose but this is a closer look that shows a nice part of being a unibody AWD vs traditional framed 4WD. The only part hanging below the rockers is my OE resonator and that will most likely change. For reference those are slightly larger than 29" tires.

image.png

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Love it! I fully agree, that's one of my favorite things about our cars. There's so little shit hanging off the bottom. I need moaaar clearance already [emoji16]. But I need to do some other stuff first. Basic maintenance and a few light mods.

But enough about me.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Thank you @Martynas and @ColoradoPacific! No real changes to the car but my rack is getting Rotopax gas/water, a custom setup for my traction jacks, and my hi lift jack base is getting mounted as well. Trying to find a water tight box or boxes that will fit in the remaining space on the rack. My spare takes up so much room up there. Working on plans for my vacant spare tire well and drawer setup. In the meantime I'm still getting out there.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg