...but it's a Subaru Outback?! Build thread.

• HTML tutorial

WhatTheZo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego
Member #

Ok here we go @bumpo83

Sway bar endlinks for our car would need to be SHORTER in the front and longer in the back to correct the angle of forces acting on them after a lift. It’s 1:1 (lift:length) up front and 1:0.5 in the back.
At 3" in the front the sway bar is at a really extreme angle. My poor front bushings kept on popping out whenever I was in the desert. I got frustrated enough to pull while on the trail.

I ran with with both front and back sway bars disconnected for about two weeks until I got tired of feeling like I was going to die whenever I hit a dip on the freeway.

It's seems fine now with only the fronts disconnected, and who doesn't like a little oversteer [emoji41]

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Awesome info, thanks! So what would I need to do if I was planning on running the Ready Lift kit and new springs front and back? Something similar to your setup. I love the way the Outbacks look with that extra bit of lift.
Glad to help however I can! If you intend to lift any higher you’re going to want to do 2” sub frame spacers for the back. Theres a chance you might need some additional help with an alignment or you might be able to get it back in the green without. That’s pretty much it.

The decision to go with springs is a big one because if you don’t carry enough weight day to day your ride will suffer. The front won’t matter because of the weight of the engine but the rear is a different story.

At 3" in the front the sway bar is at a really extreme angle. My poor front bushings kept on popping out whenever I was in the desert. I got frustrated enough to pull while on the trail.

I ran with with both front and back sway bars disconnected for about two weeks until I got tired of feeling like I was going to die whenever I hit a dip on the freeway.

It's seems fine now with only the fronts disconnected, and who doesn't like a little oversteer [emoji41]
Look at fancy you running no sways and then just the rear bar hahaha. I need to find the time to do the disconnects for the front. Easier said than done with two little ones haha.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Awesome build! My fiance just got a '15 outback 2.5 as well, so this is a great build for us to watch.
Thank you! If you ever have any questions about your Outback don't hesitate to ask.

I could totally see this cruising in Colorado. Kickass build, would love to see it in person.
Thank you as well! It's been a fun build and I have more plans for it but I'm struggling to find room for it in the schedule. In the meantime I'm still waiting for Subaru weather to return to Pennsyltucky.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
What did you use to black out the chrome?
That’s on my list. Any tips or tricks you learned?
I used plasti dip probably 3 years ago. It’s held up really well all this time but definitely starting to show it’s age on the window trim. The grill is painted. If you’re good with vinyl or know someone who is that would be my recommendation for the window trim.

gonzoy5

Rank V
Launch Member

Builder I

Miami, Fl
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Gonzalez
Member #

Awesome! I must of scrolled past that when I initally was looking at this post.... I do have another question in regards to the multi link spacers. I have a 2" Ready Lift SST kit for my '15 but nowhere on the Ready Lift site do they mention the need to run multi link spacers. They say that the lift keeps the geometry the same as factory with the way it was designed. Is that really the case or do you think I should run the spacers with that kit?
So did you ever install the Readylift kit?

bumpo83

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marysville, OH, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Guthrie
Member #

So did you ever install the Readylift kit?
Not yet..... been super busy at work and haven’t had time to devote to getting it installed. Fingers crossed I can get to it in the next week or two. As soon as it happens, I will post pics!

Reactions: gonzoy5

bumpo83

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marysville, OH, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Guthrie
Member #

View attachment 7114[/QUOTE]
Next up is my ARB awning. It's not made in the USA but the Foutreks mounts that hold it on the Loadwarrior are. Did I mention my Outback was made in Indiana?..

View attachment 7106

Tool time compliments of Fourtreks again. Room for 3 or versatile mounting for 2. In keeping with the theme both the #Murderspork and Pulaski are made America as well.

View attachment 7107

In an effort by to keep people honest a repurposed cable lock.

View attachment 7108

For navigation I'm using a Dual 150 external gps, a dedicated iPad with Scenic Map as well as Gaia, and an inexpensive yet well functioning ikross mount.

View attachment 7109
Do you like the Dual 150 external GPS? Been on the fence about this one and the Garmin GLO unit. Looks like the Garmin uses both GPS and GLONASS with a little longer battery time but I like the price of the Dual better and it comes with a dash holder. Not sure if having the GLONASS is a huge benefit as i am a total newbie when it comes to external GPS units.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I haven’t used my Dual 150 in a good long while @bumpo83 but when I did I was plenty pleased with it and impressed by its small size and battery life. That dash holder works amazing too. I purchased an InReach which is what you can see in my iPad mount pictures.

My understanding is that GPS is more accurate but GLONASS has better coverage in the far north/south latitudes. If you’re interested in the 150 and are interested in saving some money send me a DM. Mine is just sitting here.

t_real

Rank 0

Contributor I

Virginia
First Name
T
Last Name
M
This is such a great build! We're in the process of narrowing down options for a daily driver/overland vehicle that will comfortably support 2 car seats and an aging dog, and I think this may be a great ride for us to copy. I just binge-read the threat, so sorry if I missed it, but what kind of MPG are you getting fully loaded?

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
This is such a great build! We're in the process of narrowing down options for a daily driver/overland vehicle that will comfortably support 2 car seats and an aging dog, and I think this may be a great ride for us to copy. I just binge-read the threat, so sorry if I missed it, but what kind of MPG are you getting fully loaded?
Thank you! Sounds like you’re in a very similar situation. This was Monday and the only thing missing in the picture is our 13 year old dog haha.

B110A6BB-3B32-4B99-B1B7-44AA06CD4235.jpeg

The best mileage I can hope for is 25 mpg and I get that at lower speeds (55-60 mph) to and from work. Fully loaded I get 22 mpg on the interstate which is a far cry from the 32 mpg I used to get. The car has plenty of power but it’s just the huge aero drag killing the efficiency. It’s still better than anything else with this much clearance though and it’s still quiet and comfortable.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I think almost all the problem is on the roof. Id like to know what you get if you take it all off the roof.

ps, that is an awesome Outback.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I think almost all the problem is on the roof. Id like to know what you get if you take it all off the roof.

ps, that is an awesome Outback.
Thank you! I used to take the basket off for winter and was surprised by the negligible mpg improvement. Admittedly I haven’t done a road trip without the basket but it’s definitely a combination of things. The aero up front, top, and underneath have all been impacted. Then there’s the increased effort to turn the axles because of the lift, heavier non LRR tires, slight gearing change due to larger tires, and the good amount of extra weight I’m carrying. All in all 25 mpg to and from work isn’t that bad when I used to get 29 doing the same drive. The interstate hit stinks but it’s an acceptable price to pay for the places it takes us. These were our lunchtime views on top of the mountain Monday.

DEA4074A-7708-4A34-BD83-3B5AEF7C44C9.jpeg4DAFBB3A-F34A-4E4F-8B1F-28DDF0C3FC31.jpeg5D8599C2-2B48-4DFA-A3E0-CEAA969B16AB.jpeg

t_real

Rank 0

Contributor I

Virginia
First Name
T
Last Name
M
Thank you! Sounds like you’re in a very similar situation. This was Monday and the only thing missing in the picture is our 13 year old dog haha.

View attachment 100784

The best mileage I can hope for is 25 mpg and I get that at lower speeds (55-60 mph) to and from work. Fully loaded I get 22 mpg on the interstate which is a far cry from the 32 mpg I used to get. The car has plenty of power but it’s just the huge aero drag killing the efficiency. It’s still better than anything else with this much clearance though and it’s still quiet and comfortable.
Oh man, after seeing this photo, this setup is for sure in my future. I've got a ~40min commute, so as much as I want a 4Runner just thinking about their mpg (especially after modifications) makes me want to cry as I light money on fire lol. Our kids look to be about the same ages/sizes - I'm assuming you're not running into comfort issues with two car seats in the back?

Seriously, beautiful ride, and great thread. I'm so stoked that I stumbled upon your build, and I'm glad you can't stop me from copying it hahaha

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Oh man, after seeing this photo, this setup is for sure in my future. I've got a ~40min commute, so as much as I want a 4Runner just thinking about their mpg (especially after modifications) makes me want to cry as I light money on fire lol. Our kids look to be about the same ages/sizes - I'm assuming you're not running into comfort issues with two car seats in the back?

Seriously, beautiful ride, and great thread. I'm so stoked that I stumbled upon your build, and I'm glad you can't stop me from copying it hahaha
Thanks again. I’m sure I’ve said it before but it obviously has its limitations and anything you do to mitigate those limitations will adversely affect the reliability. For example at 65k I currently have a passenger front axle starting to go bad and a driver front strut mount. I’m lifted higher and routinely take more difficult terrain so things like this are expected. Another thing to understand is that Subaru really leans on electronic nannies to get the most out of its current AWD. There’s a lot of misinformation out there regarding this and you’ll see ridiculous comments like ‘the cvt pulls power to protect itself’. Taking a new Subaru really off road is a learning process and once you accept how traction control that you can’t completely disable works you can go amazing places drama free. I’m not trying to dissuade you in any way but just know it’s not as simple as 4lo and go.

The back seat area is quite spacious so no we don’t have any issues. I’m 6’01” and my daughters rear facing infant seat fit behind me without having to move. I’m sure you know how much room they take up haha. The back seats recline so when they go forward facing you actually gain some more room due to the shape of the car seat. Now if I were to put adults back there again I’d have to remove my seat back molle panels but I’d say the Outback has more all around room than my wife’s XC90. Most people know (including my wife.... haha) that I will go out of my way to help anyone so going forward please don’t hesitate to ask questions if you should ever have them.

755AD4FD-5DAE-4500-AC4A-C96AABE526D9.jpeg

t_real

Rank 0

Contributor I

Virginia
First Name
T
Last Name
M
No problem on the 60 vs 65. Great build thread. I picked up a few tips/mods. Especially some ideas on my extended Yak basket after I get a small off-road trailer. Appreciate you doing it.
What brand trailer are you thinking about? I am planning an OB + trailer build, and I'm thinking of going with an XVENTURE. Worried about weight though - as I'm used to having full sized truck power, not wagon power lol