Advocate I

New Tazewell, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Very nice! Where are these trails?
New Hampshire Class VI roads. Miles and miles of them mostly south of the White Mountains.
The perfect rig is the one you like the most. Even if it's not a built monster, it you have fun in it, its perfect.
I agree 100%. Its as "built" for offroad as it will ever get. Now its just maintenance time. All the mods now to the rig are to get our camp gear in there and stowed good. This is going to be a daunting experience...lol

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

I finished welding everything up this morning and then drilled holes for the tank mounting bolts and tacked the bolts in place. The 1/2" stud on the right side is for the top of the hi-lift jack. Now its all primed up. Im gonna paint the entire thing out before welding it to tire carrier, I think it will be easier that way. Plus I needed a new spool of wire for the welder and I have to get it all in one shot since this is my DD too.
I am going to put 3 eye bolts in the face plate of the tank frame for tie downs. I figure we can strap down either chairs, canopy or some light gear to it. The framework is beefy but weighs a little over 30lbs which aint too bad.

So now im only a couple of coats of paint and 4 square tube welds away from being done... :tongueout:

tirecarrier6.jpg

Last edited:

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Took advantage of my only day off this week and welded up the rack. My girl comes out, looks at it , and says "So you sure that tray will be strong enough to support those 2 six gallon water jugs?" So I sat my fat ass on it and asked her...Now do you think it will? LOL

Im happy with the outcome so far. I still want to do my cb antenna mount, 2 flag mounts and I am going to steel mesh the two openings on either side of propane tank mount.

tirecarrier9.jpg tirecarrier10.jpg

Last edited:

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Worked on the solar kit today. I started with an empty Pelican 1650 this morning and now I have the batteries strapped in. I was able to screw the strapping right to the pelican base and was surprised at how tough these cases are. The batteries don't budge.
In the end of the case I have all the outlets and the monitor cut in and installed. Then I built a tray to mount the inverter and solar controller.
I still have to get the wiring done, but the holes are all drilled for it. I also need to get another MC4 connector for the panel hookup to the tote. I had cut the connectors off for testing how this unit would perform and that was the only way at the time. So far I like the way its working out.

solar.jpg

solar1.jpg

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

This is the tray I built to raise the bottom and mount controller and inverter to.
17202980_1371296912891514_8206764193216772152_n.jpg

I hot glued in the MC4 fittings for the solar panel. This kit will never see weather but it does seal the opening just in case.

17202799_1371296822891523_2915154732532847948_n.jpg

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Love it man! So many cool ideas. The way Americans do Jeep external modifications is so different to what we see here in Australia, so it inspires me to think outside the box with my own rig.
Thank you Conroe ! I keep picking away at the mods but I don't think our rigs are ever truly "done". Hope this gives you some good ideas. :smile:

Reactions: Conroe

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

I removed the back seat from the jeep, nobody ever rides back there anyways. With all the camp gear adding up, and the new solar kit, we need the space more than the seat. Plus the seat weighs around 90lbs...good trade off for gear. Now I am trying to think of a good way to mount our first aid kit, shovel, recovery gear and my spotlight that stay in the jeep all the time. Usually they are just bouncing around on the floors.

Love it without the seat, open floor plan now ! :sunglasses:

cargoarea.jpg

cargoarea1.jpg

cargoarea2.jpg

Attachments

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

So today Cara and I built this deck to level off the floor to store some camp gear a little better. The floor was all crazy uneven after removing the rear seats and nothing would sit good. A couple short pieces of 2x4, some 1x3 pine, 1/4" plywood and some indoor/outdoor carpeting...problem solved :smile:
cargoarea4.jpg

cargoarea5.jpg

cargoarea3.jpg

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Was a gorgeous day so tday I welded up the flag pole mount :smile:

No more worries of a weak flag pole mount. We usually fly the colors when attending Jeep Jamborees and Meets
DIYFlagmount1.JPG

I made the flag pole out of a $6 Shower Rod and 2 small eye bolts to attach the flag to it. It was a surprisingly strong shower rod. I drilled a hole through both so I can just slide the flagpole down the pipe and pin it... Easy on, easy off :grinning:
DIYflagmount.JPG

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Rattle canned the flag pole mount and while I was at it I did the rusty azz rock sliders too. Now they match the roof rack :triumph:

New tires, same make model and size. I run the Hankook DynaPro MT's 35x12.50/17 and I had 57k on the last set. I got lazy on rotations, I could have gotten another 15k easily. Note to self...ROTATE RELIGIOUSLY !

P1010695.JPG

P1010700.JPG

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

Nice rack!! (on the Jeep) I wish I still worked in a shop so I could build my own parts but I don't have the access to the tools anymore and buying them just to build my Jeep would be more expensive than buying stuff already built. Much respect for building your own parts.

Reactions: Glenn

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Nice rack!! (on the Jeep) I wish I still worked in a shop so I could build my own parts but I don't have the access to the tools anymore and buying them just to build my Jeep would be more expensive than buying stuff already built. Much respect for building your own parts.
Thankyou! I enjoy building my mods when I can. Some things you just have to buy though unless you are really setup with garage and tools...unfortunately I only have the basics.

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

Thankyou! I enjoy building my mods when I can. Some things you just have to buy though unless you are really setup with garage and tools...unfortunately I only have the basics.
I agree. I like the pride from some home built stuff. It also adds some detailed personality to your rig.

Reactions: tritonl and Glenn

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Shetucket River, CT
April 21-23, '17

This was an awesome weekend, always fun meeting new people. Great times, great food and trout fishing !

camp5.jpg

camp3.jpg

camp2.jpg

camp4.jpg

camp6.jpg

camp1.jpg