• HTML tutorial

Jroettele

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Anaheim, CA
Member #

Hey OB amigos

My name is Jeff. My Fiancé (Elaine) and I are planning a trip to Baja. We have some time off over Christmas break December 26th-30th.
We are looking for the following.
  1. Advice; where to camp, routes, sites etc.
  2. People to join our trip. We are a young couple that love to film and document our adventure. We are looking for any one or couples who share our interest. Of course my only requirements is everyone one need to be self sufficient.
This trip is still in the planning process. This is what I have so far.

Enter thru Mexicali follow the 5 south to San Filipe. Camp in San Filipe. Continual down the 5 till Puertecitos or Punta Final. From there follow the 5 till it intersects the 1. Head north on the 1. Maybe camp at K58 or K38. Few other places I would like to visit is Valle de los Gigantes, and maybe Mike's sky ranch.

Cheers and Happy Travels

Jeff & Elaine

DezertRat

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Yuma AZ
Sounds like a fun trip, if you plan on camping in san felipe i recommend petes camp (few miles north of san felipe), i wouldnt camp in town...theres also more camping spots south of town going towards puertecitos.

I havent been to puertecitos but i hear there are hot springs in the ocean during low tide.

The Hwy5 is being worked on at the southern tip to meetup with Hwy1 so expect road construction.

If you plan on coming back north through Hwy1 you should stop at San Quintin maybe even camp there, Ensenada is a nice town and you should try the Lobster in Puerto Nuevo (just south of Rosarito).

The way I would break down your days would be
Dec 26 Mxli-Puertecitos (Ive been to San felipe so many times and have concluded theres not much to do there other than their food at the malecon)

Dec 27 Puertecitos- Bahia de los Angeles (playa la gringa)

Dec 28 Bahia de los Angeles- Guerrero Negro

Dec 29 Guerrero Negro- San Quintin

Dec 30 San Quintin to Mxli (through the Ruta del Vino)

Looking up the mileage between towns helped me plan my trip im doing in November from Mxli to Cabo and back within two weeks timeframe

DezertRat

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Yuma AZ
You can also visit the numerous Missions that are in Baja. Theres one outside Bahia los Angeles, San Vicente, Loreto and many more further south.

The drive itself is an adventure thats for sure! And gas up everywhere you can! The Pemex down there are really far inbetween. I would also recommend getting Mexican Insurance. Ill be getting mine with Baja Bound. Also if you plan on being down there a while you might want to look into the tourist visa. Its easy to get and only about $20 per person. Ive heard some insurance claims wont stick if you dont have the visa.

Cam_Cam_Tech

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ
I second the get Baja Bound insurance and make it full coverage. Also get the tourist visa and Baja Bound tells you how to get one if you need more info.

https://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/visa.php

Your trip sounds fun! That section of coast is beautiful.
I should also recommend get gas even if you have 3/4 tank.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Jroettele

Jroettele

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Anaheim, CA
Member #

I second the get Baja Bound insurance and make it full coverage. Also get the tourist visa and Baja Bound tells you how to get one if you need more info.

https://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/visa.php

Your trip sounds fun! That section of coast is beautiful.
I should also recommend get gas even if you have 3/4 tank.

I have jerry cans for extra gas capacity.

Reactions: Cam_Cam_Tech

Cam_Cam_Tech

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ
Yeah I cross with mine empty, I think I will carry two next month when I cross over for a week

Cam_Cam_Tech

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ
Sounds like a fun trip, if you plan on camping in san felipe i recommend petes camp (few miles north of san felipe), i wouldnt camp in town...theres also more camping spots south of town going towards puertecitos.

I havent been to puertecitos but i hear there are hot springs in the ocean during low tide.

The Hwy5 is being worked on at the southern tip to meetup with Hwy1 so expect road construction.

If you plan on coming back north through Hwy1 you should stop at San Quintin maybe even camp there, Ensenada is a nice town and you should try the Lobster in Puerto Nuevo (just south of Rosarito).

The way I would break down your days would be
Dec 26 Mxli-Puertecitos (Ive been to San felipe so many times and have concluded theres not much to do there other than their food at the malecon)

Dec 27 Puertecitos- Bahia de los Angeles (playa la gringa)

Dec 28 Bahia de los Angeles- Guerrero Negro

Dec 29 Guerrero Negro- San Quintin

Dec 30 San Quintin to Mxli (through the Ruta del Vino)

Looking up the mileage between towns helped me plan my trip im doing in November from Mxli to Cabo and back within two weeks timeframe
What are your dates down there? I'll be there chasing for the 1000, will be in Ensenada nov 12, chasing the race and coming back up from la Paz 19-21.

@cam_toyota_tech

Cam_Cam_Tech

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ
Ill be down there from Nov 7-22, i plan RM600 San Ignacio on Nov 16
I'll pm you my # and maybe we will try and somehow run into each other near RM600 haha. We will be on Wide Open frequencies but I'll have my little hand held too so let me know what you guys will be on.

cgoerrissen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chatsworth
Member #

If you go to Bahia de Los Angeles, which you should definitely do, rent a panga and go see the whale sharks and swim with them if you are so inclined. I was there last week and there were about 10 sharks in the bay south of town.
You can also look into Lewis and Lewis for the Mexican insurance, I have been buying from them for 30 years.

Jroettele

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Anaheim, CA
Member #

If you go to Bahia de Los Angeles, which you should definitely do, rent a panga and go see the whale sharks and swim with them if you are so inclined. I was there last week and there were about 10 sharks in the bay south of town.
You can also look into Lewis and Lewis for the Mexican insurance, I have been buying from them for 30 years.

Wow, That is amazing. I was planning on going there.

NoahGenda

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

On the road
Member #

Puertocitos is a funny area, dont get excited about those hot springs because they are not great. We called them "hot wallow pits" as the sand filled back up around you immediately and you basically are laying in the tide while all the locals stare at you.

Camp Beluga in Punta Final is rad, little spendy at like $20/day but its a great spot

Reactions: Jroettele

Tom K

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Zürich, Switzerland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6JHR
Plan to spend some time in Valle de Guadelupe if you can (outside Ensenada.) It's got fantastic food and wine tasting, kind of like a better version of Napa/Sonoma. A great place to stop on the way north for a break from roughing it.

Reactions: Cam_Cam_Tech

DezertRat

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Yuma AZ
Dont go to Cuatro Cuatros, people seem to promote it alot, ive been there and wasnt impressed, they sit you on some hay bales and offer just munchies with wine and other drinks. The view is cool but thats about it, i wouldnt pay to sit on hay and walk around dirt with hay everywhere. The "cabins" are just metal frame with tarp at the bottom of a valley, so no view there. Supposibly theres a wash that runs behind the tarp tents but when i went it was bone dry

ABomb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

La Mesa, CA
Member #

What are your dates down there? I'll be there chasing for the 1000, will be in Ensenada nov 12, chasing the race and coming back up from la Paz 19-21.

@cam_toyota_tech
Are you chasing as part of a team or just following the route? I've been interested in heading down and basically just following the race route well after it's over

Cam_Cam_Tech

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ
Are you chasing as part of a team or just following the route? I've been interested in heading down and basically just following the race route well after it's over
Yes I'm chasing for a team, we have 11-12 cars we will be looking after.
All the files of the course and access points I could share with you when I get back. You could make a nice trip out of it

@cam_toyota_tech

Reactions: Tom K and ABomb

DezertRat

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Yuma AZ
So just got back from the trip, i drove all hwy 1 down to cabo and on the way back i took hwy 5 all the way to mexicali.

Hwy 5 is under construction for several miles before connecting to hwy 1, nothing too bad. I stopped in puertecitos on the way and did not like it. Theres only one camping lot in town with access to the hot springs and theres about 100yrds of beach with palapas where you can "camp" but youre basically inbetween houses.

Punta final looked nice, gonzaga bay is awsome too. San quintin has alot of beaches, i stayed at mission santa maria, its a nice hotel with direct access to the beach and has a bar and restaurant. The water was too cold to enjoy though.

You can also visit herendira, has beautiful coastal road.

At ensenada you can see the bufadora and theres plenty of places to eat in town. A must for me is to eat at 240 grill in ensenada.