Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Somebody had started a monthly meetup at some mall in the Phoenix area a while back but abandoned it after a couple of months. I'll be starting one up down here in southern Arizona (not at a mall) when we return from the Overland Bound Rally in October - once the temps come back down. I'll post information in this thread when it is scheduled, and i'll send out Rally Point invites for AZ. There's also quite a bit of ad-hoc trail runs that are posted here from time to time, so if you are planning on heading out to the trails, post here in this thread a few days before and you may get interested parties who want to join you.

I'm thinking of starting with a simple rigs and coffee event, so that people can meet and great initially. subsequent events will likely include a day trip trail run and an overnight camping option.

Reactions: ForestRoadSurfer

Adventure4rx4

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rathdrum, ID, USA
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
4rx4
Member #

Yeah I saw those post it was like back in 2017. Well I’ll definitely keep checking the post for that. I don’t mind going down to Tucson my wife has family down there. So we go down every couple months. Hey and let me know how that Overland rally goes. Looks like it’s going to be a blast

Phessor

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Daryl
Last Name
Madrid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DTM
I'm up for some trail runs as well as meet and greets.

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
I'm planning on putting something together for mid-late October. I have a crazy schedule with some events and planned trips this November and then the big Overland Bound Rally oct 5-7th, so I don't think I can put something together before I get back from that, which will be like Oct 13th or 14th. You know what, I'll put something on the calendar for October 20th.

I'm in central Tucson, so I was planning on an event around this area. Obviously if there's not enough interest from other Baja Arizonans I can relocate it up closer to Phoenix. Copper Creek Canyon in the mountains east of Mammoth, AZ might also be a great spot to meet up, explore, and camp, however people will need to have an AZ State Trust use permit ($20/year for a family permit).

Are people interested in just a morning/afternoon parking lot meetup, or are you interested in hitting trails and doing an overnight camp after a meetup?

I also like the idea of just popping out coordinates and a time, but maybe not everybody would like that.

I'll add a Rally Point event after i collect some feedback on you guys about what kind of meet up you would prefer

Reactions: Todd & Meg

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

I'm planning on putting something together for mid-late October. I have a crazy schedule with some events and planned trips this November and then the big Overland Bound Rally oct 5-7th, so I don't think I can put something together before I get back from that, which will be like Oct 13th or 14th. You know what, I'll put something on the calendar for October 20th.

I'm in central Tucson, so I was planning on an event around this area. Obviously if there's not enough interest from other Baja Arizonans I can relocate it up closer to Phoenix. Copper Creek Canyon in the mountains east of Mammoth, AZ might also be a great spot to meet up, explore, and camp, however people will need to have an AZ State Trust use permit ($20/year for a family permit).

Are people interested in just a morning/afternoon parking lot meetup, or are you interested in hitting trails and doing an overnight camp after a meetup?

I also like the idea of just popping out coordinates and a time, but maybe not everybody would like that.

I'll add a Rally Point event after i collect some feedback on you guys about what kind of meet up you would prefer
That sounds good Brien, I've only done Mt Lemon down your way and would like to do more trips down that way. We did the front way up and the back way down. I don't think I ever put it in 4-wheel drive but still a nice drive.

I'm building a teardrop, giving up the tent for now. The tent will be used for on the motorcycle trips or some light backpacking. It takes up most of my free time. I would like to see some meet-N-greets that would be on a weeknight, or just a few hours on a weekend. once the tear is done then we'll be looking for more overnight trips that would be trailer friendly. My wife wants to do at least one weekend camping trip a month. Plus some bigger trips.

As far as day trips we are not into the rock crawling thing, we want to get out and see wilderness and other cool stuff. Old mines, ghost towns, stuff like that.

Meet-N-greets could have a theme, Ham radio 101, recovery, camp cooking, Navigation, or share your favorite trip with maps and photos.

Just a few ideas.

Todd

stokescr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mohave Valley, Mohave County, Arizona, United States
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Stokes
Member #

I'm in Vail so I am up for anything you set up! We need more events down here in Tucson.

Reactions: RolandJKU

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Meetup posted! I decided to go with a simple "Meet and Greet" meetup for this first event.

The meetup will happen at Sentinel Peak Park, A.K.A. "A Mountain", it just one turn off of I-10 and very easy to get to for anybody interested in coming from outside of the greater Tucson area. The event will start at 9am and go until at least noon if not later, that will give time for any Phoenix area attendees to get here without needing to wake up super duper early.

Rally Point Details: Southern Arizona Overland Bound Rigs and Coffee Meetup
Forum thread: https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/southern-arizona-overland-bound-rigs-and-coffee-meetup-10-20-2018.19296/

I auto-generated event invites for anybody within 160 miles or so, but the event is open to anybody else as well.

If you are attending, please RSVP to the Rally Point so i have a good idea of how much coffee and pastries i need to provide

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Sorry, can’t make it. Have had a 1000 mile off road trip planned for 6 months and we leave that day! Will definitely make the next one!
Oh wow, that's sounds awesome! Well, you'll definitely have stories to share at the next meetup!

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Meetup posted! I decided to go with a simple "Meet and Greet" meetup for this first event.

The meetup will happen at Sentinel Peak Park, A.K.A. "A Mountain", it just one turn off of I-10 and very easy to get to for anybody interested in coming from outside of the greater Tucson area. The event will start at 9am and go until at least noon if not later, that will give time for any Phoenix area attendees to get here without needing to wake up super duper early.

Rally Point Details: Southern Arizona Overland Bound Rigs and Coffee Meetup
Forum thread: https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/southern-arizona-overland-bound-rigs-and-coffee-meetup-10-20-2018.19296/

I auto-generated event invites for anybody within 160 miles or so, but the event is open to anybody else as well.

If you are attending, please RSVP to the Rally Point so i have a good idea of how much coffee and pastries i need to provide
Awesome!